Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 27th Dec 18, 6:48 PM
    • 1,463Posts
    • 17,601Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    2019 - A Clutter Free Life
    • 27th Dec 18, 6:48 PM
    2019 - A Clutter Free Life 27th Dec 18 at 6:48 PM
    To use Guineapigsqueaks/Sa1sysoo words “A new thread for declutterbugs in 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019!"

I made a fairly good start in 2018 but 2019 is THE YEAR that I finally get to grips with a full declutter - I would like to have NO rooms/cupboards/drawers of Doom & I would like to have a revamped bathroom & fully decorated house My DH is going to be very busy

Plenty of options available on numbering the clutter out

2019 in 2019 or 52 in 52 weeks even 365 in 365 days & if you are feeling really adventurous a la basketcase - you can weigh the clutter out

Whichever you choose or you may choose not to number, we would love to hear both your success stories & your ways/methods of decluttering - they may not have worked for you but they may work for someone else

I am hoping that everyone who posted on the 2018 thread will also post on the 2019 thread

Welcome one and all and happy decluttering!

MrsSD

P.S. Hope this works as it is my very first attempt at starting a Thread
Page 22
    • Facknats
    • By Facknats 13th Jan 19, 7:05 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    Facknats
    He doesn't know it yet but so we can move freely around the house, all his things that he said he would sort out before we moved to the new house six months ago, are about to go to the big yellow storage. The invoice will be paid by him.
    • DD265
    • By DD265 13th Jan 19, 7:53 PM
    • 1,743 Posts
    • 4,156 Thanks
    DD265
    My weekend hasn't gone as expected, so everything is still in the building, but I sorted through the last bits in the spare bedroom. Have a bin bag that's nearly full of 'rubbish' and a second for the charity shop, plus some weights.

Realistically, at 20kg+ per bag of weights (and there are 3), it's going to be a car job so I'll see what else I can get together this week as we might as well take a car full if we can.

I've got quite a few boxes of things that I intend to sell, but won't be doing that until we're settled in our new house. I think we're mostly there though on the big sort outs, and it'll be more as we're packing that we think 'why are we taking this with us?' and put it to one side.
    Credit Cards 2019 - £1900/£8000 paid off - 23.75%
    1% Mortgage Over Payment 2019 - £28.85/£1500 - 1.92%
    • bunty109
    • By bunty109 13th Jan 19, 8:02 PM
    • 1,223 Posts
    • 3,225 Thanks
    bunty109
    Started to tackle our junk filled sideboard today and am noticing that most of the documents we've got to sort through are from about 10 years ago :embarrassed

So, lots of shredding to do, other papers in recycling and then managed to put some more clothes ready for the charity shop. OH has started his own project to clear a wardrobe full of clutter which is already looking emptier

Only really finding time to declutter at weekends but it's starting to make a difference...
    MFW 2019#24 £2939.71/£20000 MFW 2018#24 £23025.41/£15000
    MFi3 v5 #53
    MFi3 v4 #53 £59442/£39387
    • White_musk
    • By White_musk 13th Jan 19, 8:38 PM
    • 165 Posts
    • 1,768 Thanks
    White_musk
    Squeeeezed into a box where I knew my stash of coffee mugs were. I managed to 're-home' 20 to a friend and daughter. I also had a dinner service with more bits missing than there, so it went in the bin, even some of the remaining pieces were chipped. Why do we keep stuff like this?

I also found an old duvet I've kept as a spare. I really need a new one for my own bed so I phoned our local animal rescue as there is a lady who makes pet beds from old duvets and it's going there.

Slowly but surely as I can't get into all the stuff I'd like until the house is totally finished and I start putting things away. Once that happens, I expect my clutter collection to really grow and with it my space.
    Feb 2019 GC £151.53/£300

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, wisdom to know the difference.
    • somerandom
    • By somerandom 13th Jan 19, 10:23 PM
    • 900 Posts
    • 7,008 Thanks
    somerandom
    I'm a little late but would love to join in this year.
    A Clutter Free Life 2019
    • bit by bit
    • By bit by bit 13th Jan 19, 10:40 PM
    • 227 Posts
    • 1,461 Thanks
    bit by bit
    Two bags ((now 3/60) to the CS today and I only bought one top. This is very good for me

I have sorted my purse and removed all the cards, putting back all the points collection cards. I went online to check offers etc which I should do once a month. I also gathered all the tokens and vouchers I had lying around checking dates etc. This gives me a feeling of control for some reason because I am not planning to buy very much over the next 6 months.

Finally cleared the top of the second shelves in the lounge. Would have been totally done but we had visitors. Both sets are going this week. The whole lounge dining room looks a lot more open but not much tidier as I sort stuff into piles for distributiion.

In the bigger picture I can see that the downstairs will be clearer as the rest of the house gets the reorganisation treatment. I am creating piles al la Kondo. All the craft stuff that is lying around in one pile, DIY stuff another all the other stuff in another.
    Feeling good
    Wife, mother, gardener, nurse, cancer survivor. Aiming to retire at 55 in February 2021- 23 months to go.
    Challenges 2019: MFW 2019 #164 £664.57/3200 Make 2019 in 2019 #70 £376.57/£2019 Stash Busting 2019 2/12 projects A Clutter free Life 2019 25/60 bags and 3 large items.
    • selloptape
    • By selloptape 13th Jan 19, 11:03 PM
    • 566 Posts
    • 2,790 Thanks
    selloptape
    I've sorted 63 items to declutter this eve. Bit worried as last time I felt this motivated I came down with a sickness bug

47 items are clothing - all to be donated tomorrow.

The rest are games, toys, out of date food, ring binders, pepper grinder, fruit bowl and a broken hoover. These have all been binned. Feeling a strange combination of happiness mixed with guilt plus slight panic as bin was only just emptied and now stacked again

Still have loads to go through, including a lot of dvds and books. Feeling less guilty about these as should be able to donate them and hopefully someone else will be able to get some use from them.

I may have realised I have a slight hoarding issue... 🙈
    GC Jan £209.67/£278.61
    Save 12k in 2019 #8 £682.65/£1,5000
    MFiT T5 #22 Save £20k over 3 years
    Walk 1500 miles in 2019 - 224.56/1500
    • Hermia
    • By Hermia 14th Jan 19, 12:05 AM
    • 4,249 Posts
    • 12,406 Thanks
    Hermia
    22-23) Made an effort to use up some toiletries I have been ignoring forever.

24-30) Magazines put in recycling.

31-33) Threw away some half-used notebooks. Been promising to use them up for ages, but when I have a new project I don't want to start with a half-used notebook!

I am going to make a real effort to sell some stuff this week and also continue with the kitchen cupboards.
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 14th Jan 19, 3:15 AM
    • 1,463 Posts
    • 17,601 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    1. SMALL TASKS WILL BE DONE ASAP
    2. I WILL LEAVE A ROOM TIDIER THAN WHEN I ENTERED
    3. KITCHEN WILL BE LEFT CLEAN & TIDY EVERY NIGHT
    4. WHEN DEALING WITH CLUTTER I WILL USE ‘Daisy1571’s idea of ‘WHAT WOULD I DO WITH THIS ITEM IF IT WAS SOMEONE ELSE’S ?’
    5. IF I WAS STARTING FROM SCRATCH, WOULD I BUY THIS?
    6. BE LIKE A POSTAGE STAMP - STICK TO ONE THING UNTIL YOU GET THERE

Sunday - DH has continued working in the bathroom after a visit to B and Q to get bathroom sealant - he had to bin 7 ood by 4 years & dried up tubes of sealant - at least it bumps up my numbers All I have done today is had a long chat with next door neighbour, nice chat with DB & his German fil who had dropped in on way from Germany to Wales (for a job) & made a full English breakfast for dinner.Unfortunately although DSis thoroughly enjoyed her dinner she has ‘decluttered’ it completely

73 - 80 Seven ood & dried up tubes of sealant, bag of non recyclable packaging - Binned
    81 - 86 Paper packaging, 3 cardboard boxes dismantled, beer bottle rinsed, magazine - Recycled

Thank goodness for DH

My cheerleading starts here

short_bird, good numbers Plenty to see & do in London - good heavens I’ve just realised I have been living in London for almost 30 years

never too old, lots of stuff going out. Please don’t get despondent - it will happen all of a sudden - you will suddenly notice space

nannywindows - I would milk it for all it is worth

Ginmonster, lots of hard work & having bags of clothing ready to leave is excellent. Think how happy you will be when they are out the door I fully approve of decluttering beer

Ladykernow, excellent advice for cherie1122

Flugelhorn, lots of space then

White_musk, welcome back to the forum You HAVE been busy & it is not ‘shameful’ to have so much stuff - you were a different person & have grown into a new persona who prefers space & no clutter. All of us have found a reason to declutter & join in the thread. Getting rid of clutter is a lightening of the load - so liberating Re the chipped dinner service, maybe we should run a ‘competition’ to see who comes up with the best explanation of why we keep ‘stuff like this’

Chocolatelover93, hope you are feeling better. You definitely have ‘the declutter bug’ - you had to do something & emails are a good place to start PLUS bags for the CS

Marpau, ‘stuff’ decluttered but decluttering cuddles - I love it

Happy Kitties, definitely a ‘win-win’ - well done

Cherryfudge, a milestone big pat on the back for you

ScarletRibbons, good luck with the sales

bt_dt, with such large numbers out, you are absolutely justified in keeping the halogen dish Glad you are taking care of your back

sootypea, I hope your profits are going towards a nice treat for you

Wednesday2000, another one who has caught the ‘decluttering bug’ Why take one bag to cs if you can take two

sweetpea26, a gradual decluttering of the house, cluttering the car & then bingo clutter free house & clutter free car Well done

leelad, you are doing a grand job Re the cuddlies - if you put them in a pillow case (tie a knot) or a mesh laundry bag (if you have one), wash them then tumble dry on a low heat. Give them a quick brush & donate to your local cs. We are all here to motivate each other & give praise & encouragement

parsniphead, had never heard of Mrs Hinch so have just read a Guardian article which really hit home. I may or may not investigate further I am very pleased to learn that we provide the inspiration to declutter & well done on your progress I second that it is going to be a good decluttering year

Onebrokelady, spacious as well no doubt & I bet you keep opening the door to have a look

Facknats, that will teach him

DD265, you are halfway there - items sorted & ready to leave the house permanently Well done on getting so much decluttering done & having a plan before packing up to move

bunty109, nothing to be embarrassed about Last year I disposed of 50 year old paperwork Two of you decluttering will make the task so much easier & well done on getting OH on board the ‘decluttering bandwagon’

somerandom & welcome aboard the ‘Decluttering Bandwagon’ No such thing as being late to the party Looking forward to hearing your tales of decluttering Have you decided on a number or are you working on a room by room basis? You have definitely come to the right place for encouragement

bit by bit, thank you 🙏 for such an upbeat post - you have every right to feel good

selloptape, no - surely not a hoarding issue Well done on the numbers

Hermia, half used notebooks are handy for lists & rough drafts of what you would like to write in your new notebooks Well done on keeping stuff moving out & good luck with the sales

Declutterers ‘United in our Mission’ to have a restful living space

See you tomorrow

MrsSD
    86/2019
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 14th Jan 19, 8:51 AM
    • 8,621 Posts
    • 18,944 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    No fluttering over the weekend here for me. I'm slowing down a bit - opps!

So today's challenge is going to be the 3 kitchen drawers (cutlery,oven trays, the dreaded Tupperware and utensils). That should keep me ticking over.

I'm aiming for 20 items today

10 years and still don't have a clue what I'm doing

Trying to get by on a single Emergency Services income
    Fashion On The Ration Coupons 2\66
    March Grocery Challenge £250\£46.77
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 14th Jan 19, 9:10 AM
    • 2,633 Posts
    • 17,754 Thanks
    parsniphead
    After my mini push last night I'm motivated to keep going today. I have the district nurse due at some point so I'm going to see what I can achieve before they arrive.

One problem is DH is working from home. He normally works from the front room but in an unusual move has plopped himself down in the middle of the room I want to work on.

Hopefully by the end of the day I will be seeing a difference.
    My mini challenge: pay off MBNA by 31/08/18. £502/£502 100% (paid off 30/06/18 - 2 months early )

Pay of all debt by xmas 2019 #09 - £0/ £8471 %
    • whmf00001
    • By whmf00001 14th Jan 19, 10:55 AM
    • 340 Posts
    • 2,237 Thanks
    whmf00001
    Middle bedroom now fir for visitor to use, lots of the stugg was put into little bedroom aka box room, on top of single bed but managed to Freegle the length of new carpet, thats gone, sorted the boxes, some of which were empty for just in case, these are now broken down in car boot to go to tip along with old portable TV/Video. Still some boxes full at end of bed and one box on bed but otherwise is ready for another visitor. Got to buy bedside lamp and little clocks for the two rooms but managed to find some good bath towels which have been put away for years. Nearly ready and now got to start on downstairs front room (Close the door).
    • GreenQueen
    • By GreenQueen 14th Jan 19, 12:56 PM
    • 344 Posts
    • 1,448 Thanks
    GreenQueen
    Good afternoon all,

Over the weekend:
    binned
    53 - used/broken birthday cake candles

charity shop - bagged AND taken
    54-61 - clothes
    62 - bag of rags (including holey teatowels)
    63-82 - assorted cookie cutters, jelly moulds, etc

recycling
    83 dismembered Christmas tree (first green bin collection since it came down)
    84-93 empty jam jars (saved for when I make jam or chutney - yeah, right!)
    94-97 plastic boxes without lids/lids without boxes

I now have a three drawers and two cupboards in the kitchen that are tidy and have enough space to be useable
    GQ
    A Clutter Free Life - 2019 in 2019 - 185/2019
    Boost your income (34) - £2019 in 2019 - £10/£2019
    ...I figure it's taken a long time to accumulate all this carp so it'll take a while to get rid of it too.
    Originally posted by Ginmonster
    • Ginmonster
    • By Ginmonster 14th Jan 19, 3:25 PM
    • 392 Posts
    • 5,685 Thanks
    Ginmonster
    3 bags of clothes and toys taken to the CS today and some more books added to the pile to go. I'm carrying everything about a mile so I can only take so much stuff each time but I'm making progress! It's like a weight gradually lifting off your shoulders. There's lots still to do but I'm determined to keep going and start seeing more space and areas of tidiness. 😀
    • sweetpea26
    • By sweetpea26 14th Jan 19, 3:50 PM
    • 754 Posts
    • 5,417 Thanks
    sweetpea26
    Today I am definitely making progress..
    out went 2 pieces of furniture.
    baskets
    bag of old knives forks spoons
    china ornaments
    some body lotions etc.
    books
    magazines
    duvet..just dont need it so its super clean and can be donated
    bag of clothes jumpers etc that i will never wear.
    house feels lighter

All has been dropped off at charity shop
    So will say another 4 bags not including large items and 2 reycling.
    I cannot believe I have achieved this much. I normally start and feel overwhelmed. So delighted that things are gone.

Keep clearing out folks !! It will all be worth it in the end
    Last edited by sweetpea26; 14-01-2019 at 4:03 PM.
    Grocery Challenge Jan..£415.23/£390 Feb.. £337.26/ £399

2019 Clutter Free Challenge 78 / 250 bags donated /recycled / Disposed of ...and any other tat I no longer need
    • sweetpea26
    • By sweetpea26 14th Jan 19, 4:11 PM
    • 754 Posts
    • 5,417 Thanks
    sweetpea26
    3 bags of clothes and toys taken to the CS today and some more books added to the pile to go. I'm carrying everything about a mile so I can only take so much stuff each time but I'm making progress! It's like a weight gradually lifting off your shoulders. There's lots still to do but I'm determined to keep going and start seeing more space and areas of tidiness. 😀
    Originally posted by Ginmonster
    Well done to you for being so persistent and carrying all that stuff. I pile mine into a car. Thats brilliant progress. I know how you feel about feeling lighter ... greatest feeling.
    Grocery Challenge Jan..£415.23/£390 Feb.. £337.26/ £399

2019 Clutter Free Challenge 78 / 250 bags donated /recycled / Disposed of ...and any other tat I no longer need
    • Cheapskate
    • By Cheapskate 14th Jan 19, 4:54 PM
    • 1,655 Posts
    • 20,401 Thanks
    Cheapskate
    Afternoon all

We've had a busy weekend, socially speaking, but still plodding on with the de-cluttering. This morning, I ditched the contents of my veg drawer in the fridge and a few other items from the fridge ashamed of my wastefulness, but feel better now that I can actually see what's in there! Also chucked a few things from the freezer that were older than God, and am defrosting the last pieces of beef from the local farm (stew for tomorrow's tea). Also gone are the contents of 4 unfinished multi packs of fancy instant coffees (mocha, latte, etc), and some herbal teas I don't like are going to my yoga centre for others to enjoy. One plus side from the food declutter is that some yoghurt lids from a certain brand, that have "points" on them, have now been redeemed for a new shopping bag, made from something recycled!

I've got a CS bag started, approx 8-10 items in it so far, 1.5 bin bags of pure rubbish, and some huge pieces of cardboard are in the car boot ready for the tip.

Think I'm at 37 items decluttered today alone, that must be a record!

Over the weekend DH decluttered the 3 bottles of beer that were part of a hamper that our older DD made up for Christmas, and last night I started the wine from the same hamper, so by mid-week there will be 4 bottles to add to the bottle box.

In our attic is a load of stuff from mum's house (lost her almost 3 years ago), including old financial paperwork of hers and dad's (he's been dead 10 years...!). All the paperwork has to go this week, it's hurting my brain to even think of actually sorting it - only keeping letters my parents wrote to each other, photographs. If my siblings want owt else, they can come and get it and help empty my attic!

A xo
    Feb GC £0.00/£300
    Decluttering 174/2019 items this year
    • White_musk
    • By White_musk 14th Jan 19, 4:56 PM
    • 165 Posts
    • 1,768 Thanks
    White_musk
    Thank you for the welcome back MrsSD. I have done two huge de-clutters in the last few years due to downsizing from our 3 bed family home after DH died and DC left home. I moved to a two bed bungalow then here a one bed bungalow (with very little storage).

Fab news today, all tradespeople will all be gone by a week Wednesday at the latest. Thursday I have carpet fitters coming, Friday I can start to put everything back to normal. what a relief.

Latest de-clutter will begin in earnest from Monday 28th. I can't wait.
    Feb 2019 GC £151.53/£300

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, wisdom to know the difference.
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 14th Jan 19, 5:05 PM
    • 1,214 Posts
    • 17,029 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Thanks MrSD I'll tell DH it's all down to your advice

I did persuade him to remake the bed yesterday......... well I'd managed to strip it earlier and put the bedding in the WM and it left me in soooooooo much pain . I also changed 2 thin pillows for a new thick one and the old ones are now in the bin. It's something I've been going to do for ages and I already had the new one, so thank you all for keeping me going, even if it's a only a little bit being decluttered at a time.
    Also out several more takeaway containers, why did I keep so many ?
    My goal for this week is to sort out my crafting stuff and hopefully donate some ( a lot ) to the DGD, she's only 7 but she does love to craft
    Happy decluttering everyone!!
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 14th Jan 19, 5:06 PM
    • 3,189 Posts
    • 35,270 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Hello all,

3 plastic figures decluttered today via Ebay - packed and posted. Not much else as I'm not well with whatever infection I have and I'm struggling to breathe enough to do much (asthma).

I did do a freezer inventory though and a few mystery tubs (it's a mystery why I kept the contents) were emptied into the bin. I've washed the tubs, refilled them with spag bol and chilli that I made this afternoon and they're back in the freezer with proper food in them.
    Weight loss 2019 5 lbs
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,765Posts Today

7,901Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • PLS SHARE - WARNING DO NOT USE VIAGOGO. A group of MPs have today echo'd my own warning about the secondary tick? https://t.co/ZUvKRq3MeS

• RT @MartinSLewis: I've had a few messages from people concerned that they've bought tickets from Viagogo and they heard my cautionary warni?

• Early days but it seems I'm in the 1 in 20 who don't listen to music. Funny people react with such shock at not? https://t.co/xrU3aaRF9J

• Follow Martin