Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 27th Dec 18, 6:48 PM
    • 1,365Posts
    • 15,767Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    2019 - A Clutter Free Life
    • 27th Dec 18, 6:48 PM
    2019 - A Clutter Free Life 27th Dec 18 at 6:48 PM
    To use Guineapigsqueaks/Sa1sysoo words ďA new thread for declutterbugs in 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019!"

I made a fairly good start in 2018 but 2019 is THE YEAR that I finally get to grips with a full declutter - I would like to have NO rooms/cupboards/drawers of Doom & I would like to have a revamped bathroom & fully decorated house My DH is going to be very busy

Plenty of options available on numbering the clutter out

2019 in 2019 or 52 in 52 weeks even 365 in 365 days & if you are feeling really adventurous a la basketcase - you can weigh the clutter out

Whichever you choose or you may choose not to number, we would love to hear both your success stories & your ways/methods of decluttering - they may not have worked for you but they may work for someone else

I am hoping that everyone who posted on the 2018 thread will also post on the 2019 thread

Welcome one and all and happy decluttering!

MrsSD

P.S. Hope this works as it is my very first attempt at starting a Thread
Page 22
    • Ginmonster
    • By Ginmonster 12th Jan 19, 6:21 PM
    • 345 Posts
    • 4,814 Thanks
    Ginmonster
    Nothing out the door today but I have managed to sort out a big pile of the 6 year old's outgrown clothes in the loft to give to my neighbour for her son. I made another pile for the charity shop as well. There's still loads up there that needs sorting but that's for another day. I'm currently decluttering a bottle of lovely beer that we brought back from our holiday in Scotland in the summer so it does need using up!
    • Ladykernow
    • By Ladykernow 12th Jan 19, 6:25 PM
    • 270 Posts
    • 1,111 Thanks
    Ladykernow
    Hello and can I please join you. I have all my son's stuff here in my house as he's moved in temporarily and clutter drives me crazy. I won't be disposing of his things but just old stuff that I really shouldn't have in the house. My late husband was a hoarder and I still have some of his things (he died four years ago). I won't go for 2019 things but will try and do 365 items this year.

Thanks
    Originally posted by cherie1122
    I've started a little pile so that I can see how much i've collected up and then take it to the charity shop. Try bits at a time if you find it too overwhelming. Good luck!
    • Flugelhorn
    • By Flugelhorn 12th Jan 19, 7:12 PM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 1,460 Thanks
    Flugelhorn
    Hurray DS and I took the Xmas tree down so that went out the front door and is on the lawn - will get it to the tip next week!

I know it is beyond 12th night but we never do stick to that, usually allow a few more days
    • White_musk
    • By White_musk 12th Jan 19, 8:10 PM
    • 105 Posts
    • 782 Thanks
    White_musk
    I'm in!

I've been off the forum for quite a long time and moved house a year ago. During the last year I've binned so much stuff due to downsizing, it's shameful the amount of 'stuff' I had. I'm just about at the end of major home remodelling and living out of bags and boxes - yay!

As things are put back I plan on yet more clearing. I've learned that I really can manage with so much less than I currently have, so....

2019 - here we come.
    God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, wisdom to know the difference.
    • chocolatelover93
    • By chocolatelover93 12th Jan 19, 10:11 PM
    • 852 Posts
    • 5,108 Thanks
    chocolatelover93
    Parsniphead - sending hugs

Seahorsey - Welcome and good luck with the decluttering

Cranky40, Happykitties, beenthere_donethat, Nannywindow - Hope you are feeling better!

Scarlettribbons - I've found clothes sell better as bundles on FB but they don't sell for a lot, people want stuff for nothing.

Have got a bin bag full and a small bag full of bits to take to the CS tomorrow must make sure I don't buy anything for myself though. Haven't been doing much the last few days I've been ill my DS is at the childminder tomorrow and nursery Monday so am hoping to get a bit done over the next few days
    I have been decluttering my emails though, unsubbing to ones that I don't need or want anymore.

C xx
    #45 Make £2019 in 2019 £7/£2019
    declutter 2019 in 2019 26/2019
    DFXMAS 2019 £50/£3077.61
    Grocery Jan W1: £58.08/£40
    • Marpau
    • By Marpau 12th Jan 19, 11:09 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    Marpau
    5 items sold on Ebay today so all packaged ready for post office on monday.
    1 charity bag filled for CS new one started
    Listed surplus wool from my stash on knitting site
    Not much done today as grandson poorly so popped over to give him cuddles
    Hoping to do bathroom and kitchen tomorrow
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 12th Jan 19, 11:27 PM
    • 743 Posts
    • 5,818 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Managed to send a parcel today that contained
    *25-28 cuddly toysx3
    *29-31 pet blanketsx2
    *32 pet food items
    They're for a charity branch I support and it was nice to get the items sent, esp as they have just been sitting about in the kitchen since before Christmas.
    Mind u it was a second attempt at sending the parcel , first time it was too heavy so had to remove a couple of items that will start off the next parcel and I can add a few more cuddlies in for their tombola fundraisers once I've sorted a few more bits out.
    Feel like I'm decluttering in a win win situation. I get to declutter and the charity get items they really want
    2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=360.66
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 13th Jan 19, 12:46 AM
    • 2,320 Posts
    • 14,008 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Eleven items gone today, that brings me over the 100 mark. This year, that is. Now I had better go to bed before I declutter another banana muffin,
    MFW #30 Paid off £4,100.58/£3000 in 2018
    Decluttered in 2019: 116/2019 as of 14/1/19
    • ScarletRibbons
    • By ScarletRibbons 13th Jan 19, 8:34 AM
    • 471 Posts
    • 6,412 Thanks
    ScarletRibbons
    Thanks chocolatelover, I'm wondering what to do now, is it worth putting the stuff on a local selling group, or shall I just chazzer it.

I wouldn't ask for a lot anyway, I've looked at prices and I know that stuff doesn't go for much

The 2 main items are a 3-in-one winter coat that DH has hardly worn, and a pair of boots that I've hardly worn.

I'll chance it I think and see what happens
    • John Blaze
    • By John Blaze 13th Jan 19, 12:28 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    John Blaze
    a messy house is a messy..
    • beenthere_donethat
    • By beenthere_donethat 13th Jan 19, 1:10 PM
    • 634 Posts
    • 209,294 Thanks
    beenthere_donethat
    Still no decluttering as such, as my back is still sore but 2 maths books, two lever arch folders and another bar of unopened soap, have gone into the donate pile. (They were within easy reach so I didn't have to struggle )

So far I have binned, recycled or donated the following:

*3 dresses
    *5 skirts
    *1 pair of jeans
    *1 sun hat
    *2 half used tubs of fragrance free creams
    *7 tops
    *2 jumpers
    *a dressing gown
    *a full tub of fragrance free cream
    *10 x unwanted toiletries
    *kitchen towel/foil/clingfilm organiser
    *2 plastic shoe boxes
    *universal remote control
    *a Christmas wreath
    *a musical Santa ornament
    *a bag of Christmas tree ornaments
    *a metal soup ladle
    *a drinks water bottle
    *3 Christmas DVDs
    *an unopened liquid foundation
    *a faux fur lined coat.
    *several old bills and invoices and old journals, dating back to 1999
    *94 DVDs
    *4 pre-recorded VHS tapes
    *an empty DVD rack
    *OH's dressing gown
    *an empty make-up bag
    *a vase
    *3 broken tennis balls
    *2 dog toys
    *7 magazines
    *a puzzle book
    *lanyard badges
    *4 cushion covers
    *a plastic shoe box
    *a small purse
    *several fridge magnets
    *3 mahogany photo frames
    *4 old mobile phones/chargers
    *2 handbags
    *set of dumbells
    *plastic shoe box
    *18 unopened bars of soap
    *a purse
    *embroidery flowers
    *length of blue fabric
    *tie-dye fabric
    *plain envelopes
    *2 security cameras
    *a digital camera
    *swimming badges
    *heated comb
    *very pink lip gloss
    *various redundant wires
    *Rosemary Conley cassette tape
    *3 audio cassette tapes
    *2 make-up bags
    *scart lead
    *foot support
    *filofax
    *pack of white art card
    *ring folder
    *box of lined paper, various sizes
    *nail stickers
    *a pair of chicken fillets!
    *7 musical Christmas ornaments
    *a magazine
    *2 empty gift boxes
    *a 2007 calendar
    *a novelty coaster
    *a windchime
    *a 'ring for coffee' bell
    *a tote bag
    *old receipts
    *2 maths books
    *2 lever arch folders
    *another unopened bar of soap

That's quite a list of items that were just sitting in my house - mainly my bedroom

I don't know why I stored 19 unopened bars of soap. We prefer liquid soap to the bars so it's a mystery why they were even there My friend is going to make use of them though, so they won't go to waste

I did have a change of heart, with regards the halogen dish. It would have been sod's law, if I had got rid of it and the one that's in use, broke on me while it was being washed Other than that though, everything else is out and it really feels good that it's gone
    If you donít follow your heart, you might spend the rest of your life wishing you had.
    • sootypea
    • By sootypea 13th Jan 19, 1:39 PM
    • 138 Posts
    • 631 Thanks
    sootypea
    Thanks chocolatelover, I'm wondering what to do now, is it worth putting the stuff on a local selling group, or shall I just chazzer it.

I wouldn't ask for a lot anyway, I've looked at prices and I know that stuff doesn't go for much

The 2 main items are a 3-in-one winter coat that DH has hardly worn, and a pair of boots that I've hardly worn.

I'll chance it I think and see what happens
    Originally posted by ScarletRibbons
    I have been selling all mine on vinted. have managed to get rid of quite a lot
    an GC. £180.00/£300
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 13th Jan 19, 2:51 PM
    • 2,251 Posts
    • 15,675 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I'm taking the bag to the charity shop tomorrow. I had forgotten that my husband had a day off so I've booked in for a treatment at the Chinese herbalists and I will drop the stuff off first. I am going to go through our wardrobes again to see if I can get another donation bag filled up.
    GOOD THINGS COME TO THOSE WHO DON'T WAIT
    • sweetpea26
    • By sweetpea26 13th Jan 19, 3:11 PM
    • 741 Posts
    • 5,146 Thanks
    sweetpea26
    some great clearing being done ...

well I have had a weekend of steady progress
    Yesterday cleared some kitchen storage ...
    out went
    Lots of lids from missing containers
    out of date food ... shameful.
    loads of paper recycled and a bag of unneeded items filled for charity shop

Tackled one bedroom built in wardrobe storage area and filled 5 bags ready for charity shop...these contain games, clothes and kids books.
    Long overdue as my kids are in their twenties All now in car ready for delivery tomorrow morning.

Spare room was started and out has come 2 pieces of furniture..side tables that I had at each side of bed. They never really suited the room so I am glad they r now waiting to be shifted out of house.
    January Grocery Challenge £166.99/£390

2019 Clutter Free Challenge 32 / 250 bags donated /recycled / Disposed of ...and any other tat I no longer need
    • leelad
    • By leelad 13th Jan 19, 3:56 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 198 Thanks
    leelad
    Well, two charity bags dropped off today full of clothes and books our daughter has grown out off. Damaged clock dropped off at the tip along with some old coats. Local hospital didn't want a donation of old cuddly toys because of potential risk of bacteria/infection plus difficult to sterilise. So need to rethink my plan on this one. Making very slow progress as my wife is struggling at the moment with her mental health, but posting on this thread helps me in terms of the motivation. The decluttering of the attic has to be done bit by bit.
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 13th Jan 19, 5:51 PM
    • 2,583 Posts
    • 16,872 Thanks
    parsniphead
    I took DS to a party last night and two of the mum's were carrying on about Mrs Hinch and cleaning. I felt quite a slob so looked it up when I came home. Oh my goodness, I ended up watching loads of cleaning and decluttering videos on you tube. Anyway when I finally came to my senses (how dull are the people) I got on with some decluttering inspired by you guys.

I got rid of

A chipped mug
    A rubbish double egg cup
    Some strange odd toy bits
    Sprouted potatoes
    Loads of recycling
    Some bottles of flat pop

There was more but I've forgotten. There is a long way to go in the kitchen but it's looking emptied.

I'm going to sort out some stuff in the bathroom while the baths running. We have loads of bottles of stuff so no more until things run out.

Tomorrow I'm going to fill a bag for charity. It's just a shame the local charity shop in the village has closed. It was so handy.

It's going to be a good decluttdring year.
    My mini challenge: pay off MBNA by 31/08/18. £502/£502 100% (paid off 30/06/18 - 2 months early )

Pay of all debt by xmas 2019 #09 - £0/ £8471 %
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 13th Jan 19, 6:56 PM
    • 1,271 Posts
    • 7,135 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    3 charity collection bags full of spare duvet covers sheets and towels taken to the charity shop today,my airing cupboard looks lovely now
    Just keep swimming
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £1,598 Total Now Owed = £16,032
    Emergency Fund = £300 Xmas savings = £0
    • Facknats
    • By Facknats 13th Jan 19, 7:05 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    Facknats
    He doesn't know it yet but so we can move freely around the house, all his things that he said he would sort out before we moved to the new house six months ago, are about to go to the big yellow storage. The invoice will be paid by him.
    • DD265
    • By DD265 13th Jan 19, 7:53 PM
    • 1,680 Posts
    • 3,928 Thanks
    DD265
    My weekend hasn't gone as expected, so everything is still in the building, but I sorted through the last bits in the spare bedroom. Have a bin bag that's nearly full of 'rubbish' and a second for the charity shop, plus some weights.

Realistically, at 20kg+ per bag of weights (and there are 3), it's going to be a car job so I'll see what else I can get together this week as we might as well take a car full if we can.

I've got quite a few boxes of things that I intend to sell, but won't be doing that until we're settled in our new house. I think we're mostly there though on the big sort outs, and it'll be more as we're packing that we think 'why are we taking this with us?' and put it to one side.
    Credit Cards 2019 - £300/£8000 paid off - 3.75%
    1% Mortgage Over Payment 2019 - 0/£1500 - 0%
    January 2019 NSDs - 10/20
    • bunty109
    • By bunty109 13th Jan 19, 8:02 PM
    • 1,208 Posts
    • 3,003 Thanks
    bunty109
    Started to tackle our junk filled sideboard today and am noticing that most of the documents we've got to sort through are from about 10 years ago :embarrassed

So, lots of shredding to do, other papers in recycling and then managed to put some more clothes ready for the charity shop. OH has started his own project to clear a wardrobe full of clutter which is already looking emptier

Only really finding time to declutter at weekends but it's starting to make a difference...
    MFW 2017#24 £12107.18/£8000 MFW 2018#24 £23025.41/£15000
    MFW 2019 #24 0/£20000
    MFi3 v4 #53 £59442/£39387
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

219Posts Today

3,597Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • This probably (who knows) makes it both more likely we'll remain in the EU via a 2nd referendum and more likely we'? https://t.co/GrNV48E1jS

• Instant aftermath poll: After a defeat by over 230 votes on a flagship issue (Brexit) should Theresa May resign?

• Wow losing by over 200. That's not defeat it's obliteration. Has there ever been a time before when a PM could lo? https://t.co/i0sVwL9P9P

• Follow Martin