Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • swindiff
    • By swindiff 6th Oct 18, 11:13 AM
    • 348Posts
    • 146Thanks
    swindiff
    TSB complaint. Compensation offered.
    • 6th Oct 18, 11:13 AM
    TSB complaint. Compensation offered. 6th Oct 18 at 11:13 AM
    Finally have letters from TSB confirming compensation payout after their disastrous IT upgrade back in April.

I simply filled out the automated complaint for mine and my wife's accounts using the resolver website.

The hilarious thing is that I have received 75 Compensation and my wife 50. Is this sexism from TSB

We have had a laugh about it this morning and are happy with the compensation but the wife will be calling on Monday to find out why she isn't getting the same compensation as me for what was exactly the same complaint.
Page 1
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 6th Oct 18, 11:21 AM
    • 1,649 Posts
    • 1,418 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    • 6th Oct 18, 11:21 AM
    • 6th Oct 18, 11:21 AM
    There was someone who posted saying they got 400 or thereabouts.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
    • swindiff
    • By swindiff 6th Oct 18, 11:26 AM
    • 348 Posts
    • 146 Thanks
    swindiff
    • 6th Oct 18, 11:26 AM
    • 6th Oct 18, 11:26 AM
    That would have been nice. To be honest I was happy with anything we got. We were not really inconvenienced at all. We just have 1500 each in our accounts for the interest. Never actually use them for day to day banking.
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 6th Oct 18, 11:35 AM
    • 1,649 Posts
    • 1,418 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    • 6th Oct 18, 11:35 AM
    This from 'longlegged' on 28th September:

"Had a call this morning, requesting further details about my complaint. I got a call back just and was offered 400 compensation. I had to ask her to repeat the amount as I was stunned.

I didn't particularly have much difficulty other than the access problems which everybody had, and only complained as Martin recommended.....thanks Martin!"
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
    • veryintrigued
    • By veryintrigued 6th Oct 18, 11:35 AM
    • 2,536 Posts
    • 2,074 Thanks
    veryintrigued
    They'll probably reduce yours to 50 now
    • Mnd
    • By Mnd 6th Oct 18, 3:03 PM
    • 743 Posts
    • 910 Thanks
    Mnd
    • 6th Oct 18, 3:03 PM
    • 6th Oct 18, 3:03 PM
    I was out of pocket by 9 as they failed to take a direct debit which meant my Lloyds account didn't pay interest for 1 month. I haven't heard from them yet
    • Dragonfly1
    • By Dragonfly1 6th Oct 18, 3:15 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    Dragonfly1
    • 6th Oct 18, 3:15 PM
    • 6th Oct 18, 3:15 PM
    I have just received an offer of 150 for the "inconvenience and distress" of not being able to log online for 3 or 4 days back when the IT problems occured.

Obviously astonished. It was pre-authorised before they phoned me & was their opening offer without me asking or pushing. I was expecting 25.....

And I have never bought anything on either of my 2 TSB Classic Plus accounts - they simply accrue interest for the last couple of years.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I didn't ever escalate this to the Ombsudmen or chase the complaint. They simply have finally got round to contacting me about the original complaint
    Last edited by Dragonfly1; 06-10-2018 at 3:22 PM.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 6th Oct 18, 3:20 PM
    • 4,349 Posts
    • 6,153 Thanks
    Nick_C
    • 6th Oct 18, 3:20 PM
    • 6th Oct 18, 3:20 PM
    Really useful to get this feedback. If they offer me less than 100 I'll escalate it. Thanks!
    • greyteam1959
    • By greyteam1959 6th Oct 18, 4:17 PM
    • 2,448 Posts
    • 1,127 Thanks
    greyteam1959
    • 6th Oct 18, 4:17 PM
    • 6th Oct 18, 4:17 PM
    I escalated my complaint with TSB to the FOS who told TSB to settle with me 30 for telephone calls & 150 for 'inconvenience'.
    I declined this & it went to a 'senior investigator' who agreed with the first figure.
    I decided to accept the 180 & get the job finished with.
    As soon as I receive the 180 from TSB I will be closing all my accounts with them.
    • alandaniel132
    • By alandaniel132 7th Oct 18, 11:30 AM
    • 159 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    alandaniel132
    TSB might need pay a lot of compensation?
    will TSB go bankrupt?
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 7th Oct 18, 11:36 AM
    • 60,294 Posts
    • 53,629 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    TSB might need pay a lot of compensation?
    will TSB go bankrupt?
    Originally posted by alandaniel132
    No. They'll simply find ways of clawing the "compensation" paid back from their customer base.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • smudge2006
    • By smudge2006 7th Oct 18, 3:24 PM
    • 118 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    smudge2006
    While some of you are grabbing large compensation payouts for 'not really being inconvenienced at all', please remember that people's jobs are at stake here. I'm all for complaining if there's a legitimate reason but not just to get free money at the expense of someone else's career.
    Premier League Baby!
    • Dragonfly1
    • By Dragonfly1 7th Oct 18, 5:28 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    Dragonfly1
    While some of you are grabbing large compensation payouts for 'not really being inconvenienced at all', please remember that people's jobs are at stake here. I'm all for complaining if there's a legitimate reason but not just to get free money at the expense of someone else's career.
    Originally posted by smudge2006
    To be fair, this saga has created a number of career opportunities at TSB. They have had to set up a whole new department to purely focus on the volume of complaints and so there is a strong possibility that they are hiring. They are pretty unlikely to go bancrupt.... Banco Sabadell's profit amounted to €801.5 million in 2017.

In my opinion (and you have a fair argument opposing), companies will only learn if they suffer huge financial consequences when they do things like this. It was ill-planned with no software redundancy. It is wholly unacceptable for them to leave customers inconvenienced without access to their money online for several days. That is absolutely enough to complain about. The level of redress is set by TSB though. I think >100 is greatly excessive for people - including myself - who have simply not had access to their money - but that's up to TSB to decide and offer. Rather than peoples' careers, I'd more worry for the poor customer services person that may receive abuse from me who *expect* >100 compensation. Not necessarily anyone on this thread, but no doubt it will be happening as some customers get very aggressive when they don't hear what they want to hear.
    • hollie.weimeraner
    • By hollie.weimeraner 11th Oct 18, 7:58 AM
    • 1,666 Posts
    • 1,183 Thanks
    hollie.weimeraner
    Well no contact at all from TSB but 75 suddenly arrived in one of my accounts yesterday.
    3.975 KW Solar PV. 15 Canadian Black 265w panels with Sunny Boy 3600tl Inverter. SSE facing with 30 degree pitch. In occasionally sunny Sheffield.
    Toyota Auris Hybrid Tourer
    Toyota Yaris Hybrid
    • beefturnmail
    • By beefturnmail 12th Oct 18, 12:17 PM
    • 724 Posts
    • 231 Thanks
    beefturnmail
    Well no contact at all from TSB but 75 suddenly arrived in one of my accounts yesterday.
    Originally posted by hollie.weimeraner
    Sure you didn't recommend somebody to open a TSB account as part of their 'recommend a friend' scheme? (the reward is 75). I did shortly before the IT fiasco, and didn't receive the reward until long after I was supposed to . I'd all but written it off, when randomly 75 appeared in my account as a 'switch reward'
    • veryintrigued
    • By veryintrigued 12th Oct 18, 1:26 PM
    • 2,536 Posts
    • 2,074 Thanks
    veryintrigued
    I got a call from a firm asking how my TSB complaint was \ is being handled from 08000803240.

Considering their last contact was them sending me a letter in July stating they would have a final response or update in two weeks you can imagine it wasn't the most complimentary of surveys.
    Last edited by veryintrigued; 12-10-2018 at 4:48 PM.
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 12th Oct 18, 3:08 PM
    • 3,645 Posts
    • 1,913 Thanks
    MABLE
    Obviously I am not an important customer as I was only given 25.00. However I only keep 1500 in the account for the interest and nothing else.
    • Dragonfly1
    • By Dragonfly1 12th Oct 18, 10:12 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    Dragonfly1
    I have just received an offer of 150 for the "inconvenience and distress" of not being able to log online for 3 or 4 days back when the IT problems occured.

Obviously astonished. It was pre-authorised before they phoned me & was their opening offer without me asking or pushing. I was expecting 25.....

And I have never bought anything on either of my 2 TSB Classic Plus accounts - they simply accrue interest for the last couple of years.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I didn't ever escalate this to the Ombsudmen or chase the complaint. They simply have finally got round to contacting me about the original complaint
    Originally posted by Dragonfly1
    To update on this - I was offered the pre-authorised 150 from the main TSB complaints line and it would be in my account within about 48 hours.
    I phoned the main complaints line back on Wednesday as it hadn't appeared and there was a lot of confusion and they basically said to phone the non-advertised TSB number that deals with the I.T fiasco from April.

That number then said that the figure of 150 has been put forward to management within TSB to review before making the final decision to pay it to me. I did try to point out to them that it was their own people who offered the figure. He could not tell me how whether it would be days, weeks or months before I hear but not to contact them again in the mean time.

I would then genuinely escalate the complaint further as TSB should record their calls and it should be documented that it was clearly stated 150 would be paid within 48 hours as it had already been approved. You shouldn't say that & then potentially back-track weeks later.... That is unprofessional.
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 12th Oct 18, 11:15 PM
    • 7,473 Posts
    • 20,247 Thanks
    EachPenny
    To update on this - I was offered the pre-authorised 150 from the main TSB complaints line and it would be in my account within about 48 hours.
    I phoned the main complaints line back on Wednesday as it hadn't appeared and there was a lot of confusion and they basically said to phone the non-advertised TSB number that deals with the I.T fiasco from April.

That number then said that the figure of 150 has been put forward to management within TSB to review before making the final decision to pay it to me. I did try to point out to them that it was their own people who offered the figure. He could not tell me how whether it would be days, weeks or months before I hear but not to contact them again in the mean time.

I would then genuinely escalate the complaint further as TSB should record their calls and it should be documented that it was clearly stated 150 would be paid within 48 hours as it had already been approved. You shouldn't say that & then potentially back-track weeks later.... That is unprofessional.
    Originally posted by Dragonfly1
    I'm in similar circumstances, I didn't get a phone call, but instead a letter out of the blue saying a payment would be made into my account by a specific date. The letter stated it was their 'final response' - no mention of it being subject to management approval.

Although I hadn't contacted them to say, I suspect I am one of the customers whose 'please bear with us' letter got sent to a third party. I have a full set apart from the one due when it was reported that people had received letters which weren't meant for them.

Whether or not this has an impact on the amount offered, and the method used to inform the customer, I could only speculate on... but it does appear that very different methods are being used to resolve complaints, and we have to assume there might be some logic to it all.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 14th Oct 18, 8:24 PM
    • 26,951 Posts
    • 16,097 Thanks
    xylophone
    https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/experts/article-6272671/TONY-HETHERINGTON-Computer-says-no-TSB-tech-trouble-stopped-transferring-Isa.html
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,699Posts Today

9,733Users online

Martin's Twitter