Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 30th Jul 18, 8:59 PM
    • 4,483Posts
    • 26,072Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    NST - Achievable August
    • 30th Jul 18, 8:59 PM
    NST - Achievable August 30th Jul 18 at 8:59 PM
    Welcome to August’s NST challenge.

The flowers for August are the Gladioli and the Poppy which represents beauty, strength, love, marriage and family.

So for August we are going to pick one of the above to work on – if you feel you have let your skincare routine go, or you have been saying yes too often to things or maybe you need to start loving yourself (or others) then that will be your focus this month.

Rules:

Aim – for 15 NSD’s this month. If you think you can do more that is fantastic
    Medical spends, fuel or days when the only purchase is reduced items do not count as spends.

Update (Budgets) – instead of just setting budgets for the month I want you all to look at any direct debits/standing orders/continuous payment authorities and check to see if you still need or use them. If you don’t get cancelling.
    Also make sure you pay to debts first this month and also put some in savings.

Get (prepared for Xmas) – Xmas is only 5 months away so that is either 4 or 5 pay days for monthly paid people. Have you written your list of who needs a present? If you have can you cull some from the list? A lot of people buy over Xmas for others as it is what has always been done but are too frightened to speak up – well Turtles are not frightened of suggesting things!! Maybe a family Secret Santa would help save money. Once you have your list down to the minimum then you need to start thinking of ideas and then start looking for those things in the sale or even better for free.

Utilise (free activities in your area) - I would like everyone to find out about free activities for kids or adults in their area and attend one of these – obviously if its not until later in the year that’s fine, book now if you need to or if not get it in the diary and maybe rope some friends in as well.

Share (money saving tips) – I would like people to post once a week with a moneysaving tip, you may have been doing it for years and think everyone knows about it but I guarantee not everyone will know about it so get sharing.

Treat (yourself) – I would like everyone to budget £3 for a luxury item, I want everyone to treat themselves this month. Maybe it’s a favourite chocolate bar that you haven’t brought in ages, maybe it’s a nice soap/shower gel but is too expensive to buy for day to day use.
    If your only spend on the day you buy this item is that item then you can count it as a NSD.

The challenge will run from 1st August 00:01 until 31st August 00:00.

Thanks to all Turtles for joining the thread this month - please post as much as possible to let us know your progress.
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 1 for August
    NSD - 9/15
    (up to 12/8/18)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
Page 9
    • s1n25
    • By s1n25 8th Aug 18, 11:37 AM
    • 104 Posts
    • 354 Thanks
    s1n25
    Number 19
    Morning All!! Laptop wouldn’t work over weekend so not been able to update!! Been itching to get back on here.

Aim Day 6 of NSD. Going well so far! Today we have a birthday so £20 in a card which means it won’t be a NSD day but planning on not spending then for the remaining week.

Update (Budgets)
    Budgets, I’m annoyed with myself. I ended up going out on Saturday and taking my card not cash! (should really listen to my own advice!!) wanted to keep spending around the £50 mark but ended up spending £71.78. Will be trying a lot harder with this for the rest of the month!!

Get (prepared for Xmas)
    Still not planned my Xmas list. Cleared out a load of junk from our back room and sold some gold. £100 of this put away for Xmas! Still need to get £50 cash out of bank to put in Xmas pot. I’m also selling iphone and old straighteners to a site I found online this should bring a total of £70 which will be going in straight in the Xmas pot.

Utilise (free activities in your area)
    Still going on my weekly walks finding them a lot nicer than going the gym. (mainly because of the warm weather) I’m also stuck in an office all day I enjoy the fresh air.

Share (money saving tips)
    Have a rummage through any old boxes, attics, garages you’d be amazed at what you can get money for these days. I have 2 pairs of old GHD straighteners that don’t work found a company online that buy them for £10 each! Doesn’t sound much but I was only going to chuck the straighteners might as well get money for them!

Treat (yourself)
    New nails this week
    Debt Free Diary..."Start of a new chapter"
    Oct: Unsecured Debt : £3,846.. Bring your lunch to work 8/18..NSD challenge 8/20

• Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 8th Aug 18, 4:25 PM
    • 1,630 Posts
    • 15,531 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Afternoon Turtles

Himself is out with friends today so I've spent most of the day cleaning and tidying our bedroom. Was planning to do more but you know what it's like when you start. You see all sorts of things that need done. No doubt himself won't be able to find anything although it's much more organised that before.

Work on -Just plodding along with this

NSD - 7/15. Can't believe I have so many this far. Think this proves that we are still buying food (albeit reduced) that we really don't need.

Update (Budgets) - Well, I made the dreaded phone call to Virgin. Got through straight away. Same package reduced by £25.00 a month plus a free updated box. Ours is really old. Didn't even have to haggle.

Get (prepared for Xmas) -Nothing today.

Utilise (free activities in your area) - Been indoors today so haven't done anything.

Share (money saving tips) - See above. Honestly, I hate making phone calls but it just shows that you don't get if you don't ask.

Treat (yourself) -That's for later this month but my nails is are growing a bit so quite soon now.

Have a nice evening.
    • Kerry Woman
    • By Kerry Woman 8th Aug 18, 7:35 PM
    • 2,493 Posts
    • 24,327 Thanks
    Kerry Woman
    NSD today. 6/20
    Went for a walk in the park. Was nice as I met 2 people who I have not seen for few years. One of them I made contact through social media as he is into the same kind of music as I am. Gave me some great information about an organised trip to someone's house in Memphis. This is on my bucket list which I am planning to do next year.
    Just did a few household chores and some self-care.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2018
    Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
    NST Penny Pinching GoSober Stoptober NSD 16/20
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 8th Aug 18, 8:26 PM
    • 2,527 Posts
    • 26,407 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Good day but spendy as expected. Good turnout at crafts, including some returners who have only been once or twice and a very handy helper who has been missing for a year (ferrying her youngest to preschool but now she's off to big school and her dad is now well enough and trained up to take and collect her).

Nearly everyone helped with taking apart the hydrangea heads mum had blagged for me (yes once again I managed to come home from mum's with something extra to do, despite lack of progress on all the other 'to dos'), flattened individual flowers between pages of newspaper and brought them home for drying - much quicker than it would have been doing them alone.

I had taken a colouring book and split the pages. A couple of people spent all the session colouring, some of us worked on other things (more bits used up) and most people did some anti-stress colouring. Lots of chatting, exchanging news and catching up.

Not much done since I got home but something done - bin back to the house and topped up with 'spare' rubbish (still catching up on a six week gap because I was away on the 3rd week - all but one bin now on a 3 week rota), went to the library to top up on serial killer novels (have slushy romance but need to lighten it with serial killers and returned 3 including 2 I only got this week) and gave the bath a quick clean (someone left a soap end in and there was a serious amount of sludge in the bottom).

Need to do more but it's a busy week and probably need to pace myself a bit - back at mum's tomorrow and we are both going to DS1's on Saturday. I am a glutton for punishment as have been pondering on something mum said. Cleaner's grand-daughter had asked for a castle and she had no idea what to do, mum had said I could have done it with a few cardboard boxes. Not enough cardboard for a castle but have been thinking about crowns, unicorns and suggestions for making thrones from an old garden chair (spray paint it gold) or a dining room chair (drape with a suitable coloured curtain and pin/stick a crown onto the back). Must stick to my list.

Today I am grateful for the centre, for libraries and for good company and mental challenges.
    This year I will be fierce
    NST Oct #23 SFD 6/15 Food £87.92/£200 Travel £1.80/£15 Ent/diy £0/£15 Ext DS3 clothes
    No Debt No mortgage
    • lcc86
    • By lcc86 8th Aug 18, 8:51 PM
    • 1,071 Posts
    • 3,777 Thanks
    lcc86
    Spendy day today as I picked up the car and made my wallet significantly lighter! Had to be done unfortunately, normally I'm happy to buy second hand parts etc but my window wouldn't shut and I couldn't just leave it while I shopped around for a decent second hand one and waited for delivery, so had to bite the bullet. I'd rather shell out for that than find my car's been stolen!

Had some bad news yesterday, my friend who's wedding gifts I just bought has cancelled the wedding. I feel awful for her, don't know what's happened but I can barely imagine how she is feeling. it was less than three weeks away.

As today was a spend day I also got some stuff online for the rabbits. My friend let me use her amazon prime so I saved £5 on postage. I'm sure the bunnies will be pleased I saved them some money
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5124473 - my original diary
    £725/£1000 EF £329 saved for household jobs
    Debt free and in the black for the first time in 11 years
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 8th Aug 18, 9:06 PM
    • 7,795 Posts
    • 58,865 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Today I am grateful for a quiet morning with dd, for getting a workout done, for HP websites, for making clothes for my bunnies (toys, not real ones!), for the flowing traffic on the M40, for my car, for the athletics on the telly, for a bed to sleep in.
    NST October Gobstopper #7; NSD 10/18; Ex /21 ; craft 23 (144); remove 6 (653)
    2018 Pay off: £4266; 2
    018 sell £49.10; WLOSW 3/10

Mortgage £18,885 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • misstara
    • By misstara 8th Aug 18, 9:08 PM
    • 2,895 Posts
    • 20,448 Thanks
    misstara
    Didn't get round to posting yesterday but it was a NSD, today has been as well so 5/15
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £518.98 (77.5% paid)
    Car debt Nov 2017 £797.68 Now £447.43 (43.9% paid) + monthly payments £146.82 10/60
    Emergency fund - £80/£1000. Car fund - £350/£1000.
    Mini Targets in Octoberr
    Exercise target - 5/16. Groceries target £165.97/£200. NSD target 10/15.
    • Maisie M
    • By Maisie M 8th Aug 18, 9:09 PM
    • 1,457 Posts
    • 13,690 Thanks
    Maisie M
    Day 7 & 8

The flowers for August are the Gladioli and the Poppy which represents beauty, strength, love, marriage and family.
    Moisturising cuticles continuing and pedicure done. My feet have really dry skin so will start moisturising at night before bed. I suffer from dry skin all over but am bad at ignoring my feet

Rules:

Aim; for 15 NSDs this month. 5/15. Two Nsd's as we haven't left the house yesterday or today.

Update (Budgets) - done

Get (prepared for Xmas) - things that I ordered have arrived and have been put away.

Utilise (free activities in your area) - more baking done today.

Share (money saving tips) - if using the oven at night for dinner use any empty space to pop in some cakes. tonight we did blueberry muffins and rhubarb muffins. Keeps the boys in snacks for a few days

Treat (yourself) - still thinking - saw a really nice nail varnish that in is B&M so may grab that as a treat although I really dont need any more

• swimminginaseaofdebt
    • By swimminginaseaofdebt 8th Aug 18, 9:17 PM
    • 815 Posts
    • 5,074 Thanks
    swimminginaseaofdebt
    Evening everyone

Day 8 progress is as follows:
    • Aim for 15 NSDS - 3/15
    • Update (budgets) - spends are at £125.63/£350. £8.61 added to the EF to date
    • Get prepared (for Xmas) - no progress
    • Utilise (free activities in your area) - one of the parks has an event on with free activities as part of the Glasgow 2018 European Championship. May pop along on Sat with the wee one weather permitting
    • Share (money saving tips) - take all you electronic devices to work so you can charge them at your employers expense thus saving you money on your own electricity bill
    • Treat (yourself) - bought my face masks. 2 were on sale so I got 3 for £2
    • Read as many books as possible - 2 books finished, 1 book in progress
    • Batch cook for the little one - 4 portions of vegetable soup, 5 portions of sausage rolls, 4 portions of shepherds pie and 3 portions of cheesy tomato risotto cooked and frozen
    • Make £50 additional income - £15.21 made to date

Remained patient with the wee one today.
    Debt 1 - £182.93/£2538
    SPC11 #564
    • Tropically
    • By Tropically 8th Aug 18, 10:42 PM
    • 306 Posts
    • 1,053 Thanks
    Tropically
    Aim – for 15 NSD’s this month. 6 NSDs so far. Another one today even though I had the saddest sandwich today. It was marmite, dried up cheddar and broccoli sprouts. Things I do for NSDs!!

Update (Budgets) – I have had a bit of a shocker today. My partner is £1500 into his overdraft. He has been paying £1 a day in overdraft fees even though we have money together. I don't understand and he's travelling for work so I can't talk to him.

Get (prepared for Xmas) – No closer to planning for Christmas!

Utilise (free activities in your area) - I haven't done anything social except for a drink with coworkers today where my coworker bought the round! I have been selling off my personal belongings like crazy. People are very annoying on gumtr33 though, aren't they? Someone offered me £2.50 for four chairs.

Share (money saving tips) – My favourite new app is Jobspotter! You walk around taking photos of job adverts and get money. It's like window shopping except instead of buying you get paid.

Treat (yourself) – No treats yet. Still not needed one.
    Mortgage started at £318,000 in June 2016. Original MF - 2041
    2017 OPs: £7000/£7000
    Mortgage in Nov 2017 - £297,808
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 9th Aug 18, 8:18 AM
    • 4,030 Posts
    • 37,200 Thanks
    dolly84
    lcc86 - ouch to the car spend.

I am having gas woes again, all the mains on our street are now being replaced but our gas supply is having problems, at least it isn't freezing cold this time. I had an engineer out till 10.30 pm on Tuesday after ringing at 3pm and having armies of men coming and going, the last one was a stroppy sod and we had a full on slanging match in the garden - I am a hot head and he met his match - I hate bullies.

Anyway the manager I saw yesterday has arranged for £100 compensation for us so something at least.

I got £25 credited to my bank yesterday for my energy switch earlier in the year and sold an item on ebay but they haven't paid yet.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler.
    • indigowarrior
    • By indigowarrior 9th Aug 18, 10:12 AM
    • 671 Posts
    • 5,045 Thanks
    indigowarrior
    Sorry I have done so badly at updating. Yesterday was an NSD! Now up to 2.
    #545- SPC September No Spend 4/15
    • Fmess
    • By Fmess 9th Aug 18, 3:53 PM
    • 2,753 Posts
    • 26,427 Thanks
    Fmess
    Don!!!8217;t worry indigo

SFD number 5 today, got a prescription but that was the only spend I did another 4 hours temping yesterday but having today off, I had to drive to the office and pick up the next batch of work but I have not got the enthusiasm to start it. I!!!8217;m doing some gardening instead and enjoying these cooler temperatures.
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New Car and Roof Debt £0/£19033
    DecNST #2 SFD 13/15 Food 105/120 Personal 380/350 Petrol 80.01/80
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 9th Aug 18, 4:41 PM
    • 1,630 Posts
    • 15,531 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Hello Everyone

Work on -Really been a bit lax with keeping in touch with family. Must make a real effort at the weekend.

NSD - 8/15. Did have a wander round the shops but I didn't buy anything. Himself did buy some wine and he's been very nice and sharing with me.

Update (Budgets) - I really can't think of anything else I can do this month.

Get (prepared for Xmas) -Nothing today.

Utilise (free activities in your area) - Walk in the park with Himself.

Share (money saving tips) - The only thing I can think of at the moment is grow your own herbs. Obvious to all you gardeners, I know, but I bought some of those growing herb thingies from Aldi, repotted them and took cuttings and I now how lots of fresh basil, mint and parsley. I'm sure it's even better if you can grow them from seed. I don't have a garden but they've flourished on the kitchen windowsill. Sorry if this is very obvious to everybody.

Treat (yourself) -That's for later this month but my nails is are growing a bit so quite soon now.

Indigo - I wouldn't worry about NSDs particularly so long as you're managing to stick to your budget.

Have a nice evening.
    • Kerry Woman
    • By Kerry Woman 9th Aug 18, 6:19 PM
    • 2,493 Posts
    • 24,327 Thanks
    Kerry Woman
    NSD today. 7/20
    Walked to and from flat to cs. Finally gave them the bag of donations. It was raining but it did not bother me. Determined to sort that out today.
    Did more decluttering in the flat, things were either binned or put into the recycling bin near the communal bins. Slowly making progress of sorting things out in the flat. Also done some other household chores.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2018
    Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
    NST Penny Pinching GoSober Stoptober NSD 16/20
    • Tropically
    • By Tropically 9th Aug 18, 6:23 PM
    • 306 Posts
    • 1,053 Thanks
    Tropically
    Aim – for 15 NSD’s this month. 7 NSDs so far. Sad lunch again today. Miso cabbage.!

Update (Budgets) – Shocker not resolved, husband coming home tonight.

Get (prepared for Xmas) – No closer to planning for Christmas!

Utilise (free activities in your area) - I haven't done anything social still! Does anyone want to come to SE london and trade nice chat for booze??? I have so much wedding booze leftover.

Share (money saving tips) – Come get cheap wine from me! High quality but inexpensive because I have 30 bottles and am moving away at the end of the month.

Treat (yourself) – No treats yet. Still not needed one. [/QUOTE]
    Mortgage started at £318,000 in June 2016. Original MF - 2041
    2017 OPs: £7000/£7000
    Mortgage in Nov 2017 - £297,808
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 9th Aug 18, 6:42 PM
    • 7,795 Posts
    • 58,865 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Today I am grateful for getting lots done - 3 car loads to the re-cyc people or the tip, a visit to mum with flowers (gladioli no less!), buying some black wool (for the policemen's boots, of course!), hoovering most of the house with a randomly-cutting-out hoover, eating well, doing a workout, seeing an old friend, and watching the athletics.
    NST October Gobstopper #7; NSD 10/18; Ex /21 ; craft 23 (144); remove 6 (653)
    2018 Pay off: £4266; 2
    018 sell £49.10; WLOSW 3/10

Mortgage £18,885 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • lcc86
    • By lcc86 9th Aug 18, 7:57 PM
    • 1,071 Posts
    • 3,777 Thanks
    lcc86
    @Maisie M have you tried doublebase gel? It's an emollient cream, you can get it in the chemist, it's pretty great for dry skin.

Today was another NSD. Nothing much to report to be honest, just plodding along. Have to pay for train fare and also lunch tomorrow as I'm out all day but I can claim both back so I'm going to be cheeky and not count it as a spend day hehe.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5124473 - my original diary
    £725/£1000 EF £329 saved for household jobs
    Debt free and in the black for the first time in 11 years
    • swimminginaseaofdebt
    • By swimminginaseaofdebt 9th Aug 18, 9:22 PM
    • 815 Posts
    • 5,074 Thanks
    swimminginaseaofdebt
    Evening everyone

Day 9 progress is as follows:
    • Aim for 15 NSDS - 4/15
    • Update (budgets) - spends are at £125.63/£350. £8.61 added to the EF to date
    • Get prepared (for Xmas) - no progress
    • Utilise (free activities in your area) - one of the parks has an event on with free activities as part of the Glasgow 2018 European Championship. May pop along on Sat with the wee one weather permitting
    • Share (money saving tips) - take all you electronic devices to work so you can charge them at your employers expense thus saving you money on your own electricity bill
    • Treat (yourself) - bought my face masks. 2 were on sale so I got 3 for £2
    • Read as many books as possible - 2 books finished, 1 book in progress
    • Batch cook for the little one - 4 portions of vegetable soup, 5 portions of sausage rolls, 4 portions of shepherds pie and 3 portions of cheesy tomato risotto cooked and frozen
    • Make £50 additional income - £22.21 made to date

Remained patient with the wee one today.
    Debt 1 - £182.93/£2538
    SPC11 #564
    • misstara
    • By misstara 9th Aug 18, 10:56 PM
    • 2,895 Posts
    • 20,448 Thanks
    misstara
    NSD 6/15 today. Day off tomorrow which is very much needed.
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £518.98 (77.5% paid)
    Car debt Nov 2017 £797.68 Now £447.43 (43.9% paid) + monthly payments £146.82 10/60
    Emergency fund - £80/£1000. Car fund - £350/£1000.
    Mini Targets in Octoberr
    Exercise target - 5/16. Groceries target £165.97/£200. NSD target 10/15.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,299Posts Today

7,531Users online

Martin's Twitter