Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mikegreenland
    • By mikegreenland 12th Jul 18, 3:46 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 2Thanks
    mikegreenland
    Charges by Spanish Banks for cash
    • 12th Jul 18, 3:46 PM
    Charges by Spanish Banks for cash 12th Jul 18 at 3:46 PM
    On a recent holiday to Spain I noticed a change from last year. When trying to withdraw cash from an ATM almost all banks were charging non-Spanish cards between 1.80 (Sabadell) and 5 (Santander) per transaction. Last year all banks made no charge.

I only found one small bank/savings establishment that did not charge. I stress these were proper bank ATM's and not private ones in shops.

I thought there was EU legislation preventing such discriminatory charges?
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 12th Jul 18, 4:20 PM
    • 18,549 Posts
    • 19,814 Thanks
    zx81
    • 12th Jul 18, 4:20 PM
    • 12th Jul 18, 4:20 PM
    No, there isn't.

You're thinking of being charged for using credit cards for payments, and not other tender types.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 12th Jul 18, 4:35 PM
    • 5,424 Posts
    • 3,343 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    • 12th Jul 18, 4:35 PM
    • 12th Jul 18, 4:35 PM
    Probably just the way these things are going, in Australia it was fairly common to be charged for using any ATM that is not from your bank. I was with a New Zealand bank, opened the account in Australia and they charged me for using one of their own branches in NZ!
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 12th Jul 18, 4:53 PM
    • 30,218 Posts
    • 18,110 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    • 12th Jul 18, 4:53 PM
    • 12th Jul 18, 4:53 PM
    I only found one small bank/savings establishment that did not charge.
    Originally posted by mikegreenland
    And you're keeping the name a secret?

There's a thread on the Overseas board (and on here somewhere as well) listing the various Spanish banks and their fees.

I always try to use Banca March (it's not a secret! ) as they're still free to use (or at least were in March when I was last there).
    • virgo17
    • By virgo17 12th Jul 18, 8:39 PM
    • 708 Posts
    • 254 Thanks
    virgo17
    • 12th Jul 18, 8:39 PM
    • 12th Jul 18, 8:39 PM
    Spain is very bad for this type of thing. The Spanish banks are IMO the greediest in Europe.

To comment on the post from Yorkshireboy, during our visit to Spain last week the only high street bank that didn't want to apply a charge for cash withdrawal was at a branch of Bankia bank. Just make sure not to have the currency conversion done by the machine.
    • bluffer
    • By bluffer 12th Jul 18, 10:30 PM
    • 475 Posts
    • 622 Thanks
    bluffer
    • 12th Jul 18, 10:30 PM
    • 12th Jul 18, 10:30 PM
    happens in asia as well which is a pain even if using a monzo style card. back to carrying cash around with all the pluses and minuses that means
    2018 wins - 1 pair flip flops 1 bottle of ribena.

better than nothing?
    • guesswho2000
    • By guesswho2000 13th Jul 18, 3:26 PM
    • 1,596 Posts
    • 743 Thanks
    guesswho2000
    • 13th Jul 18, 3:26 PM
    • 13th Jul 18, 3:26 PM
    Probably just the way these things are going, in Australia it was fairly common to be charged for using any ATM that is not from your bank. I was with a New Zealand bank, opened the account in Australia and they charged me for using one of their own branches in NZ!
    Originally posted by Nasqueron
    Ha yeah, ANZ in Cambodia wanted to charge me US$5 for using my Australian ANZ debit card to withdraw cash

ING refund all ATM fees at home and abroad, thankfully.

IIRC Santander in Spain used to be free to withdraw cash using a Santander UK card, no idea if that's still the case.
    • sausage_time
    • By sausage_time 16th Jul 18, 8:00 PM
    • 133 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    sausage_time
    • 16th Jul 18, 8:00 PM
    • 16th Jul 18, 8:00 PM
    Just back from Croatia, and ATM charges are creeping in there too. I had been using the same ATM for withdrawing drinking vouchers every few days. About half way through my holiday the ATM suddenly started slapping on a 22 Kuna charge if I chose not to let them do the conversion (that's about 2.60, or almost a litre of Croatian beer to put it in perspective) . Shopped around, and found another one that was still "free".

Seems to be becoming a common tactic, sadly.
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 16th Jul 18, 8:32 PM
    • 5,365 Posts
    • 31,937 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • 16th Jul 18, 8:32 PM
    • 16th Jul 18, 8:32 PM
    In NYC, you!!!8217;re charged $3. Thank god you don!!!8217;t get charged in the uk. Then our savings rates are carp as well.
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    Coughing does not stop a Cardiac Arrest! Statins have not cured any electrical faults!
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 16th Jul 18, 9:11 PM
    • 59,777 Posts
    • 53,116 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    Spain is very bad for this type of thing. The Spanish banks are IMO the greediest in Europe.
    Originally posted by virgo17
    Why should a business provide a service to non customers free of charge?
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 16th Jul 18, 10:01 PM
    • 3,788 Posts
    • 1,958 Thanks
    eDicky
    Originally posted by Thrugelmir
    Banks receive a commission from the issuer of any foreign card when it's used in their ATM. In the majority of countries, where banks are not excessively greedy, the cardholder is not charged.
    • virgo17
    • By virgo17 17th Jul 18, 8:10 AM
    • 708 Posts
    • 254 Thanks
    virgo17
    Originally posted by Thrugelmir
    Having owned a dwelling in Spain for many years and needing to open and maintain the obligatory Spanish bank account, I can confirm that they are excessively greedy.

As eDicky comments above, they want it all ways, a commission from the card issuer, plus a charge to the card holder.

However, after reading about the closure of so many ATM's in the UK it looks like the practice might spread to the UK.
    • MEM62
    • By MEM62 17th Jul 18, 10:12 AM
    • 1,720 Posts
    • 1,324 Thanks
    MEM62
    Originally posted by virgo17

They are trying to recover all the money they lost from defaulted mortgages
    • Emily Joy
    • By Emily Joy 17th Jul 18, 2:54 PM
    • 187 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    Emily Joy
    In this case I would use a Revolut card in a supermarket and ask for a cashback.

This is also a common way to withdraw cash in the US, as some banks have branches/cash machines only in certain states.
    • zerog
    • By zerog 17th Jul 18, 3:47 PM
    • 2,378 Posts
    • 825 Thanks
    zerog
    In this case I would use a Revolut card in a supermarket and ask for a cashback.

This is also a common way to withdraw cash in the US, as some banks have branches/cash machines only in certain states.
    Originally posted by Emily Joy
    I don't think you can get cashback from a Revolut card. Usually it only works with domestic debit cards and may not even go through a payment processor such as visa/mc.

I believe Revolut is a prepaid card and if you could use those for cashback it would allow all sorts of cash recycling and fraud that banks don't like.
    • pcoventry
    • By pcoventry 21st Jul 18, 7:39 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    pcoventry
    Starling bank mate - regular current account with no overseas fees and the card is a Mastercard debit so is accepted all over the globe.

Works for me.
    • gallifreyangirl
    • By gallifreyangirl 21st Jul 18, 8:56 PM
    • 117 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    gallifreyangirl
    Telebanco in Spain haven!!!8217;t charged me for using their arm.
    • sausage_time
    • By sausage_time 22nd Jul 18, 11:26 AM
    • 133 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    sausage_time
    Starling bank mate - regular current account with no overseas fees and the card is a Mastercard debit so is accepted all over the globe.

Works for me.
    Originally posted by pcoventry

Agreed, but this thread is about charges levied by the Spanish banks for ATM use. Starling don't have any control over that, although some banks in other countries (eg NZ, US) will refund any ATM charges made by other institutions. Be nice if one of the FX load free card providers in the UK started offering this as a competitive advantage!
    • fabsaver
    • By fabsaver 22nd Jul 18, 1:30 PM
    • 894 Posts
    • 1,922 Thanks
    fabsaver
    I think it is free to use Santander cash machines in Spain using a Santander debit card.

From their FAQ
    If you have an adult current account and pay in at least 500 per month, you can get free cash machine withdrawals in Spain when you use any Santander cash machine.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

23Posts Today

3,647Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin