Credit Card charge

I thought that "whoever" could no longer charge for using Credit Card as payment. Have just renewed my road tax online and if I had used my Credit Card I would have been charged an extra £2.50 for using same. Does it not apply to Goverment Departments?

Comments

• eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,412 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    The £2.50 fee should only apply if you use a business credit card - as opposed to a personal credit card.

(Although I don't how they determine whether the credit card is a business one or a personal one.)
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    when I renewed by CC a few months ago, no extra charge
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,134 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    It should have 'corporate card' by the side of it.

There is another option for personal card which doesn't have a fee.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • pochisoldi
    pochisoldi Posts: 261 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    eddddy wrote: »
    The £2.50 fee should only apply if you use a business credit card - as opposed to a personal credit card.

(Although I don't how they determine whether the credit card is a business one or a personal one.)

There's a database of "BIN"s aka the first 6 digits of a card which will tell a merchant what the card is.

If you want to have a play, go to https://www.bindb.com/bin-database.html and try the following:
    and

PochiSoldi
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    irritated wrote: »
    I thought that "whoever" could no longer charge for using Credit Card as payment. Have just renewed my road tax online and if I had used my Credit Card I would have been charged an extra £2.50 for using same. Does it not apply to Goverment Departments?
    IF you had used your credit card. But you didn't did you so you have been charged nothing. If you go back and read things correctly you will find that personal credit cards are no longer accepted. Business credit cards will be accepted as the law regarding the charging of a fee does not apply to such cards.
  • StevieJ
    StevieJ Posts: 20,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Ben8282 wrote: »
    IF you had used your credit card. But you didn't did you so you have been charged nothing. If you go back and read things correctly you will find that personal credit cards are no longer accepted. Business credit cards will be accepted as the law regarding the charging of a fee does not apply to such cards.
    Not sure about that, I thought I paid by personal CC at no charge?
    'Just think for a moment what a prospect that is. A single market without barriers visible or invisible giving you direct and unhindered access to the purchasing power of over 300 million of the worlds wealthiest and most prosperous people' Margaret Thatcher
  • mcpitman
    mcpitman Posts: 1,267 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    StevieJ wrote: »
    Not sure about that, I thought I paid by personal CC at no charge?

Same here, last month.

To answer the OP's question, there is no charge for CC's unless for business CC's (as previously said).
    Life isn't about the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away. Like choking....
  • irritated
    irritated Posts: 28 Forumite
    Unable to access my details again as have paid, so cannot check. Cannot find payment by credit card by doing a search either. Thanks to all who answered, commented and helped.
  • sausage_time
    sausage_time Posts: 748 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I paid my road tax using (personal) Amex credit card in March. No surcharges.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Credit Cards and Budgeting & Bank Accounts boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • rosy10
    rosy10 Posts: 154 Forumite
    First Post
    Hi just bumping this thread. I've just paid online for my vehicle tax by debit card as online it seemed to indicate that a payment by a 'credit card' would incur a £2.50 charge - perhaps I didn't read it carefully enough - but it was unclear enough for me to elect to pay with my debit card. I did write a feedback comment to the gov site about this at the end of the process. As with the OP I can't go back and get a screen shot now. Conversely the V11/paper copy does clearly state that payment by a 'personal credit card' won't incur any charge.

Ah well, I'll know for next year!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport