Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Katiemay26
    • By Katiemay26 17th Apr 18, 7:12 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Katiemay26
    Driving instructor charging for scrape on car
    • 17th Apr 18, 7:12 PM
    Driving instructor charging for scrape on car 17th Apr 18 at 7:12 PM
    Hi. My daughter sat her driving test yesterday and she scraped the curb slightly while out. Her driving instructor is now saying she needs to pay for the damage to his alloy. Can he do this? I have never heard of this. I would of thought surely as an instructor if there is any damage by a student it would be covered by his insurance? Can anyone advise please. Thanks
Page 1
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 17th Apr 18, 7:14 PM
    • 5,248 Posts
    • 4,445 Thanks
    glentoran99
    • 17th Apr 18, 7:14 PM
    Tell him to jog on, The fee you pay the instructor is to cover his insurance etc

Take it she failed?
    • Ms Chocaholic
    • By Ms Chocaholic 17th Apr 18, 7:14 PM
    • 9,320 Posts
    • 57,460 Thanks
    Ms Chocaholic
    Surely this must happen all the time. It's not like the learner gets to inspect the car (in a hire care type fashion) before and after every lesson so how can he prove it was your daughter.

I'd tell him to stuff it!
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till The End

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
    • Katiemay26
    • By Katiemay26 17th Apr 18, 7:16 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Katiemay26
    • 17th Apr 18, 7:16 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 7:16 PM
    She passed with only 3 minors. So pleased for her but this has put a dampener on it.
    • Nobbie1967
    • By Nobbie1967 17th Apr 18, 7:29 PM
    • 747 Posts
    • 830 Thanks
    Nobbie1967
    • 17th Apr 18, 7:29 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 7:29 PM
    Yes, she damaged someone else's property. The instructor may be insured, but the excess is likely to be far greater than the cost of refurbing the wheel, so it would come straight out of their pocket. How is that fair?

How much is he asking?
    • Katiemay26
    • By Katiemay26 17th Apr 18, 7:33 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Katiemay26
    • 17th Apr 18, 7:33 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 7:33 PM
    He originally said she would have to pay £400 To replace the alloy. It is only a scrape though so we are waiting to hear if he is getting a price for repair
    • martinthebandit
    • By martinthebandit 17th Apr 18, 7:37 PM
    • 3,496 Posts
    • 6,017 Thanks
    martinthebandit
    • 17th Apr 18, 7:37 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 7:37 PM
    Yes, she damaged someone else's property. The instructor may be insured, but the excess is likely to be far greater than the cost of refurbing the wheel, so it would come straight out of their pocket. How is that fair?

How much is he asking?
    Originally posted by Nobbie1967
    The amount of excess is the driving instructors choice, he could have bought a policy with zero excess, how is it fair that the OP's daughter pays out because the instructor gambled (with the amount of excess) and lost?

OP I'd be telling him to jog on as well.

PS OP congrats to your daughter
    Politics -
    from the words Poli, meaning many
    and tics meaning blood sucking parasites

(thanks to Kinky Friedman (or Larry Hardman) for the quote}
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 17th Apr 18, 7:45 PM
    • 1,342 Posts
    • 916 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    • 17th Apr 18, 7:45 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 7:45 PM
    The amount of excess is the driving instructors choice, he could have bought a policy with zero excess, how is it fair that the OP's daughter pays out because the instructor gambled (with the amount of excess) and lost?

OP I'd be telling him to jog on as well.

PS OP congrats to your daughter
    Originally posted by martinthebandit

Jog on and add her straight to the CUE database. Good luck with her getting insurance.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 17th Apr 18, 7:51 PM
    • 2,916 Posts
    • 1,857 Thanks
    Car 54
    • 17th Apr 18, 7:51 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 7:51 PM
    Alloys and driving instruction do not mix well!

Was this before the test? If so, it's the instructor's fault.

Or on the test itself? Why didn't she fail? The examiner must have thought it trivial.
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 17th Apr 18, 7:54 PM
    • 7,213 Posts
    • 6,477 Thanks
    Herzlos
    The insurance may be different if she's under instruction rather than a test, as technically the instructor is in control.

No way should an alloy cost £400 though. Get the specs and see if you can just buy him an alloy yourself and pay a local tyre place a fiver to swap the tyre.
    • loskie
    • By loskie 17th Apr 18, 7:55 PM
    • 1,262 Posts
    • 759 Thanks
    loskie
    It would only be reasonable to request this if an agreement was made with the instructor prior to using him.
    Have you entered into a contract without checking all the details.

To me the whole thing sounds ludicrous.
    • z1a
    • By z1a 17th Apr 18, 7:57 PM
    • 1,253 Posts
    • 1,193 Thanks
    z1a
    I'd tell him to do one as well. I'd also make sure any potential pupils are aware as well via antisocial media.
    • ic
    • By ic 17th Apr 18, 8:00 PM
    • 2,585 Posts
    • 1,325 Thanks
    ic
    My next door neighbour is a driving instructor. He has steel wheels with plastic hub caps - they're inevitably scraped to !!!!!!y!

I too would tell him to shove it.
    * my posts are made in good faith and only represent my own opinion, experience or understanding of a situation.
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 17th Apr 18, 8:08 PM
    • 12,581 Posts
    • 11,225 Thanks
    jimjames
    The insurance may be different if she's under instruction rather than a test, as technically the instructor is in control.

No way should an alloy cost £400 though. Get the specs and see if you can just buy him an alloy yourself and pay a local tyre place a fiver to swap the tyre.
    Originally posted by Herzlos
    Just had alloys repaired, cost was £65 each so £400 is OTT
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
    • markudman
    • By markudman 17th Apr 18, 8:19 PM
    • 266 Posts
    • 151 Thanks
    markudman
    Tell him to jog on, your daughter ( congrats to your daughter) has finished with him and does not need him anymore, like a old boyfriend, excess, £400 for a new alloy, what was she learning in a Mercedes?
    was the car brand new?
    also look at the other wheels and see if they are damaged,
    We may not win by protesting, but if we donít protest we will lose.
    If we stand up to them, there is always a chance we will win.
    • Katiemay26
    • By Katiemay26 17th Apr 18, 8:21 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Katiemay26
    No contract signed. We have had trouble this last week with him. He made her pay an extra £132 this week alone in lessons as kept saying she was not allowed to sit her test in his car till she passed a mock test with him. He has been a nervous wreck all week. We are angry as it is and this is the icing on the cake
    • Lorian
    • By Lorian 17th Apr 18, 8:24 PM
    • 4,336 Posts
    • 2,467 Thanks
    Lorian
    Wow - how many hours of lessons in one week for £132?
    • Katiemay26
    • By Katiemay26 17th Apr 18, 8:24 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Katiemay26
    It was slight scrape on curb while reverse parking examiner said it was nothing as never mounted or anything. It is only a scuff at edge of alloy
    • Katiemay26
    • By Katiemay26 17th Apr 18, 8:26 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Katiemay26
    She has had to do 2 he lessons at a time at a cost of £44 per lesson. She has had an extra 6 hrs of lessons this week as he was going to stop her sitting test in his car
    • markudman
    • By markudman 17th Apr 18, 8:27 PM
    • 266 Posts
    • 151 Thanks
    markudman
    Give me his number I'll tell him to jog on, let find out were he advertises, and warn others about him Grrr
    We may not win by protesting, but if we donít protest we will lose.
    If we stand up to them, there is always a chance we will win.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,105Posts Today

9,044Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin