Driving instructor charging for scrape on car

Options

Comments

• AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    n217970 wrote: »
    "Hello Mr Insurance man, I'd like to make a claim. The driver at the time? AndyMc, you had better add him to that database thingy"

Something tells me it would take a little bit more then that for someone to end up on this database.

Well given he’ll have her name, address, date of birth and probably a driver number it say that’s a little bit more.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well given he’ll have her name, address, date of birth and probably a driver number it say that’s a little bit more.

It's simple. IF he makes a claim, she'll be on record as the driver at fault. There's no escaping that.

But he won't.
  • Cash-Strapped.T32
    Cash-Strapped.T32 Posts: 562 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 18 April 2018 at 3:48PM
    Options
    markudman wrote: »

OK so the instructor is not being emotive, manipulative, lets look at the facts.

No, the instructor isn't being manipulative or emotive, he is being a d*ck.
    You on the other hand were using emotive language (for instance "scammer" in ref to the instructor) in order to manipulate the earlier poster's position that the girl's mum would be wise to check & make sure nothing could come back later and bite her daughter on the backside if she essentially told the guy to bring it on.

£400 for a wheel, has he had a quote? it would cost about £60-£70 to get the refurbished, FACT

Who the hell knows? Why would I know? Why would you ask me? Why would I care?

6 lessons before he would let this poor girl take her test, Sorry was that emotive language?

Well, it is slightly, isn't it?
    Poor girl? Honestly..
    Although I know you only say it to be facetious.

She could well have a stronger personality than you & I put together.
    She might not. Nowt to do with us either way.
    the fact is that he is scamming a vulnerable person, A driving test is a traumatic time for most people, so a perfect time for a scammer to take advantage.

Meh, maybe.
    I took my test last year, after 2 and a half months of double lessons (2hrs Sat & 2hrs Sun), so 4hrs per week.
    Cost a packet I thought at the time, but in the scheme of things, wasn't that expensive. Certainly not compared to insurance.

I was nervous as hell before & during my test.
    Convinced I wasn't going to pass first time.
    I thought about little else for those 2 & a bit months.
    But I certainly wasn't "vulnerable" in any way.

However I shouldn't use myself as the example as we're all different.

And similarly, just as I should not assume that I'm the norm, we don't need to - nor should we - presume that this girl is some weeping mess that will allow herself to be bullied at the drop of a hat.
    That's just patronizing to her.

It also makes somewhat light of the real struggles faced by actual vulnerable people, such as the elderly & infirm, those with serious mental health problems, those suffering from actual trauma such as violent crime, etc...
    so what if she hit the wheel this is part and parcel of the trade, that's why they are insured, if the instructor chose to have a high excess how is this the students fault,

Never said it was, did I?
    Maybe he should have brought a car more fit for purpose, instead of feeding his ego and buying a car not fit for purpose with big alloy wheels for example, when steels wheels would be a better choice.

Indeed. Like a DS3 (what I learned in), or a Fiesta, a Punto, or any number of cheaper to fix up cars.
    But then again having a "nice" car for your students to learn in seems to bring in custom.
    Your point in asking me that question is?
    would you for example would you buy a big business printer if you only printed one letter a day.

Eh? Of course not. That would be silly.
    As is learning in an Audi, or an Evoque (yes, I've heard of instructors who use them too - seems like madness doesn't it?) - but again I ask; Why do you think that's a question you need to ask me?
    so I feel my language is appropriate, also this is not about me, but about the situation this family are in.

Exactly. Finally.
    Actually though it's less about the family and more about the girl.
    Ok, so the mum came on here with a question.
    Several people pile-on bemoning the nasty instructor (and like I said it's a d*ck-move to try & bill her) - and on-queue most people start saying how she should tell him to go stuff it. Say no more, tell him to do one and think no more of it..

One poster however advised to move forward with a modicum of caution before telling him where to shove it.
    Caution to ensure that if the instructor plays the awkward card, nothing will come back & cause more problems for her daughter.

At that point you came in asking why he was "defending a scammer".

That's the point where I asked if you didn't think your language was rather emotive - and it appears you took exception to that, and (oh-so massively) wrongly assumed that I was.. what?

What were you actually thinking? :p
  • AndyMc.....
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Car_54 wrote: »
    It's simple. IF he makes a claim, she'll be on record as the driver at fault. There's no escaping that.

But he won't.

I don!!!8217;t imagine he will just pointing out the downside of telling him to do one.

He!!!8217;s probably not noticed the scuff seen her test result and looked at the wheel.
  • Robby1988
    Robby1988 Posts: 182 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    She couldn’t do the test before she passes his mock exam?! That’s total nonsense, this guy seems like a bit of a con artist. £400 to fix a scuff in an alloy wheel is nonsense as well.

Like others, I’d be inclined to tell him to do one but not before checking out any insurance implications for your daughter. If you do end up forking out just ruin him on social media.
  • markudman
    markudman Posts: 351 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Cash-Strapped.T32,

Wow I was just making a point, so no questions aimed at you personally
    it was directed to the post in general
    and yes there are lots of variables, lots we do not know, I'll agree,
    we do not know if she is a weeping lass,

It also makes somewhat light of the real struggles faced by actual vulnerable people, such as the elderly & infirm, those with serious mental health problems, those suffering from actual trauma such as violent crime, etc...
    This I totally agree with.
    I have serious mental health issues.
    but as we said its not about us.
    We may not win by protesting, but if we don’t protest we will lose.
    If we stand up to them, there is always a chance we will win.
  • AndyMc.....
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    markudman wrote: »
    Cash-Strapped.T32,

Wow I was just making a point, so no questions aimed at you personally
    it was directed to the post in general
    and yes there are lots of variables, lots we do not know, I'll agree,
    we do not know if she is a weeping lass,

This I totally agree with.
    I have serious mental health issues.
    but as we said its not about us.

And they let you work on customers vehicles?
  • m1kjm
    m1kjm Posts: 1,264 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    It sounds to me as though the bloke has money troubles - you went along with the mock test so now you're getting the scuff tale.

And he can't be that busy and booked up if he had 6 hours tuition time available in a week before your test.

It would be interesting if you could speak with some of his other pupils to see if they've been blamed and charged for the scuff as well.

That's a nice little earner for him if he can pull that off for each pupil.
  • markudman
    First Anniversary
    Options
    And they let you work on customers vehicles?
    No not allowed to work, (not fit) but I have my regular customers mainly paramedics, as i worked for a Ambulance service for years, I also do my own thing, I can do a few hours until I get too fatigued, all since a brain injury in 2014. so have been told to exercise my brain, so here i am, using my advanced skills to help others. if you watch programs like cop shop workshop believe me it nothing like the real world.
  • markudman
    First Anniversary
    Options
    m1kjm wrote: »
    It sounds to me as though the bloke has money troubles - you went along with the mock test so now you're getting the scuff tale.

And he can't be that busy and booked up if he had 6 hours tuition time available in a week before your test.

It would be interesting if you could speak with some of his other pupils to see if they've been blamed and charged for the scuff as well.

That's a nice little earner for him if he can pull that off for each pupil.
    Yes this is my point
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure