Options

Comments

• Cash-Strapped.T32
    Cash-Strapped.T32 Posts: 562 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 18 April 2018 at 11:00AM
    Options
    markudman wrote: »
    I think we are all missing the and i do not understand why some of you are defending a scammer, Shame on you.

Nobody is "defending a scammer" (rather emotive, manipulative language there) - but it's worth at least considering the implications for a just-passed girl if the instructor decides to go through his insurance.

I personally do not know if as an unsupervised driver (even I know that the examiner does not count as a supervisor) it will have any affect, or if she would be recorded on CUE; But I'd be damn-sure getting my facts straight before I jumped to a decision if it were me in the OP's daughter's position.

It's easy and immediately satisfying to say "yeah you go girl, you stick it to that nasty man", but if doing so hurts you in the long-run, then being advised to stop, take a deep breath and actually think first, is not a bad thing.

For the record; I kerbed my instructor's wheels several times while I was learning (went right through those rubber condom wheel protector things), and bounced it off the odd kerbside too - it would never occur to me that I'd be hit by a bill.
    Neither do I know for sure if the daughter's name would be added to CUE if the guy does put in a claim - I just know it's worth the OP getting her facts right.
  • n217970
    n217970 Posts: 338 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What’s mean about it? If he claims and says she was driving she’ll be on the insurance database as having an at fault incident/accident.

"Hello Mr Insurance man, I'd like to make a claim. The driver at the time? AndyMc, you had better add him to that database thingy"

Something tells me it would take a little bit more then that for someone to end up on this database.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Car_54 wrote: »
    She was at fault. She wasn't being supervised, she was on test, and the examiner does not act as a supervisor.

The test is the only time when a learner driver does not need to be supervised [The Motor Vehicles (Driving Licences) Regulations 1999, section 16(9).

So by your reckoning, a learner while on their test must have their own personal car insurance? I think you are wrong, the instructors insurance still covers you.
  • markudman
    markudman Posts: 351 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    EmmyLou30 wrote: »
    I'm also surprised she never failed for that, she should be glad she had a lenient driving examiner that day as 99% of the time you'd have failed for that.

As for the instructor he's in the car 100% of the time with students driving the car, he's bound to know who hit what surely? So it was almost certainly your daughter who did the damage - however, that should be covered by his insurance and you should just tell him a firm no and then ignore all contact unless it gets to the small claims court.

Its a long time since I took my test, but is the instructor in the Car during the test?
    We may not win by protesting, but if we don’t protest we will lose.
    If we stand up to them, there is always a chance we will win.
  • greatgimpo
    greatgimpo Posts: 1,256 Forumite
    Options
    Herzlos wrote: »

No way should an alloy cost £400 though. Get the specs and see if you can just buy him an alloy yourself and pay a local tyre place a fiver to swap the tyre.

...and I would take the old alloy away so that he cannot actually profit - or offer to sell it to him.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Chances of him claiming on his insurance and adding CUE databases or whatever are extremely slim. He's just trying it on, he'll go away once you ignore him.

We really do love making a mountain out of a mole hill on here do we not!
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,225 Forumite
    Options
    EmmyLou30 wrote: »
    I'm also surprised she never failed for that, she should be glad she had a lenient driving examiner that day as 99% of the time you'd have failed for that.
    Leniency doesn't enter the picture. In order to fail the test you must commit a fault which is either dangerous (defined as "one involving actual danger to the examiner, candidate, the general public or property") or potentially so.

A slow speed impact with the kerb does not meet that definition, and will normally be marked as a driving (non-serious) fault.
  • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    Options
    Due to the nature of the job i thought that kerb rash and a few minor kisses with a curb would be fair wear and tear on a instructors vehicle.
  • Car_54
    Options
    So by your reckoning, a learner while on their test must have their own personal car insurance? I think you are wrong, the instructors insurance still covers you.

I would have been wrong if I'd said that, but I didn't mention insurance!

An instructor's normal tuition policy covers the test..
  • Car_54
    Options
    markudman wrote: »
    Its a long time since I took my test, but is the instructor in the Car during the test?

He can be, with the candidate's permission, but he's not supervising or taking any part in the test.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure