Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ShedDweller
    • By ShedDweller 17th Apr 18, 5:31 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 1Thanks
    ShedDweller
    Should I replace "Poor Credit" cards?
    • 17th Apr 18, 5:31 PM
    Should I replace "Poor Credit" cards? 17th Apr 18 at 5:31 PM
    Firstly THANK YOU one and all for the advice gleaned from these pages over the many years i've been lurking and learning from you all!!

A few years back i had a very poor credit rating, following advice on here, i've used a couple of "Poor Credit" credit cards (paid IN FULL!) to help build it back up again.

Now after all this time, I have a healthy credit rating and manage my money much more correctly! I'm thinking about the cards and how perhaps a couple of high street bank card would "look better" on my report.

From a purely credit rating perspective, is there any benefit to ditching the vanquis and luma cards i have and applying for a couple provided by high street banks to replace them?

Cheers!
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 17th Apr 18, 5:44 PM
    • 18,620 Posts
    • 19,878 Thanks
    zx81
    • 17th Apr 18, 5:44 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 5:44 PM
    The only benefit would be if the cards have better rates, benefits or limits, as no one sees the names of the cards.

Lenders will only look at the content of your credit files, never the pretend scores/ratings, so don't worry about any changes in the ratings if you do choose to take out additional cards.
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 17th Apr 18, 5:56 PM
    • 2,105 Posts
    • 3,218 Thanks
    shortcrust
    • 17th Apr 18, 5:56 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 5:56 PM
    I got some pleasure from replacing the credit building cards in my wallet with mainstream ones. I can see that makes this recent post of mine a bit hypocritical.

... I can only think that for some people the score itself is a thing of value. A high score is a badge or an accolade. I find that strange.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 17th Apr 18, 6:11 PM
    • 3,556 Posts
    • 2,628 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 17th Apr 18, 6:11 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 6:11 PM
    Replace the cards with ones that give you rewards for spending on them such as ones that offer cash back on spending and continue to clear them in full every month.
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 17th Apr 18, 6:36 PM
    • 1,924 Posts
    • 2,171 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    • 17th Apr 18, 6:36 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 6:36 PM
    I agree with zx81 that the provider doesn't make a difference ( unless it's with a bank that you later apply for a mortgage with because the history with the card will impact your internal credit history with that particular provider). I know someone who has a tesco card and pays for everything with it. It's always paid in full but they get so many points to spend on meals out of hotel stays etc.
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 17th Apr 18, 6:49 PM
    • 3,315 Posts
    • 4,242 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    • 17th Apr 18, 6:49 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 6:49 PM
    Some sub-prime cards have a ceiling limit on how much credit they will provide. If either of your cards are like this with only a 200 limit etc then possibly consider changing it.
    If you decide to get a different card maybe hold on the one with the longest relationship for a while longer - that can be viewed as a positive.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

It's not about being the best -
    It's about being better than you were yesterday.
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 18th Apr 18, 4:16 AM
    • 2,402 Posts
    • 1,101 Thanks
    Ben8282
    • 18th Apr 18, 4:16 AM
    • 18th Apr 18, 4:16 AM
    Don't rush into cancelling anything. I think you need to build up the number of cards that you hold before you start closing accounts.
    Your next step is to decide which card you really want to have and see if you can get it. You mention a high street bank card so perhaps you could start with the bank that you have your main current account with.
    You don't say who the current cards are issued by and what the credit limits are so it is difficult to judge if they may be of some use to you in the future or not.
    When you do get another card, use and continue to repay in full. Continue to use the other 2 cards occasionally though to keep them ticking over as it were.
    If you are approved for a nice card, don't get carried away and start applying straight away for more. Wait a year. Apply for a 4th card.
    Last edited by Ben8282; 18-04-2018 at 4:18 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

988Posts Today

6,991Users online

Martin's Twitter