Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ABRDF
    • By ABRDF 23rd Mar 18, 5:00 AM
    • 35Posts
    • 9Thanks
    ABRDF
    Tandem Bank credit card woes
    • 23rd Mar 18, 5:00 AM
    Tandem Bank credit card woes 23rd Mar 18 at 5:00 AM
    Hi

My partner and I waited for 3 months on the wait list to get Tandemís credit card offering of 0.5% cash back and no fee foreign transactions, because of Martinís recommendation.

After 2 months of use we are reviewing our decision, does anyone else have feed back, Tandem donít have a community site like Starling or Monzo or a ďTrustpilotĒ site and I canít see any feed back here, either good or bad!

Our findings:
    1- The app looks and feels old school, poorly designed, slow with little functionality..
    2- The app needs a new pin every two weeks and you have ring the customer service number in core hours of 8 till 6.
    3- The out of hours customer service is outsourced, and they have little understanding of the product and only deal with fraud or lost cards. They also appear to be reading from a script.
    4- The balances on the app are incorrect
    5- Refunds show but the balance is not updated
    6- Pre authorisation show in app but never drop off the app when not collected by the merchants
    7- Customer services are only Monday to Friday 8-6, they are friendly, but donít really understand the issues because their system transactions and balances are different from the app, you have to send screen shots to verify what your saying
    8- Paper statements, no online offering, statement balance not shown in app
    9- Account aggregation does not work with First Direct due to password issues in the app
    10- Missing transaction and transactions disappear from the app (balance stays the same)
    11- Long call wait times
    12- No instant chat
    13- Launching savings account when this product does not have fully functional and robust customer app / interface
    14- No in app notification of transaction
    15- Security setup when joining could not be complete the account pin request - still havenít been able to achieve this

When you do speak to the customer services team you do often get to speak with the same person which is a bonus, but they have to pass everything on. Very limited improvement in the app, itís functionality and appearance in two months, some problems they say should be fixed in the next two months some they donít have timescales, not all customers are have the same problems. I believe the developers should look to apps from Starling and Monzo to see great new world (fintech) banking apps, Tandems app looks, feels and offers the functionality of Lloydís Bank app 5 years ago.

Unlike Starlingís Anne Boden their CEO who answers tweets from customer with good and bad issues eve late at night, Ricky Knox the CEO of Tandem just BLOCKS YOU!!!

Your thoughts please, are we the only ones witnessing these issues? It would help us to decide to stay or go, 0.5% cash back is not enough to wade through the problems with Tandem, when we also have Clarity Cards and Monzo and Starling already.

Finally should Martins team be recommending Tandem in its current state. Has my mother would say Tandem is ďall fur coat and no knickersĒ!!!128514;
Page 3
    • lee2050
    • By lee2050 20th Jul 18, 4:25 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lee2050
    Likewise - going to sign up for a Tandem card.

Would any Tandem card holders like to PM me their name so that they can get a £10 Amazon gift card?

Signing up in 30mins so be quick!
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 20th Jul 18, 5:19 PM
    • 1,276 Posts
    • 883 Thanks
    dj1471
    Please don't use this thread for referral requests/offers, it's against the forum rules.

Take it to the referrers forum:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42
    • djjd70
    • By djjd70 23rd Jul 18, 11:38 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    djjd70
    I can't rate the Tandem credit card and service highly enough at the moment.
    - application was easy and quick
    - card arrived in 4 days
    - app works fine (am only using it to view credit card balance)
    - love the fact that you can see transactions immediately, no waiting 2 or 3 days for purchases to show, so you know exactly what you've spent at any point in time
    - message sent when card used, which feels useful in case of fraudulent use

Well worth getting I'd say.
    • Harrypods
    • By Harrypods 29th Jul 18, 10:31 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Harrypods
    Tandem doesn't feature on Aggregation/Yodlee services
    I've been a Tandem user for a few months now. Generally it's great to have a Mastercard with cashback. I favour my Amex as my wife has one with 1% CB, but for all the smaller shops that won't take Amex, the Tandem works great.

It does give you instant app notifications when used, which is great and gives that little extra reassurance.

I do find it frustrating for two reasons, both "first world problems":

1. There's no Apple Pay support, so you have to carry/use the card physically.
    Probably fair enough, as they're likely losing enough money with their 0.5% CB, let alone paying Apple their percentage too.

2. They are not supported by aggregation services like Spendee, Moneyhub, Moneybrilliant, etc
    Now. this IS a pain for me. I use Money Brilliant to aggregate all my cards and accounts into one online portal, mainly because it allows me to have multiple cards and use the most suitable one at any moment (eg. highest cashback that's accepted), and not even worry about which one I'm using as it all gets tracked and categorised in one place. So - now I'm using Tandem several times a day, and it's not supported, it means I have a huge gap in my visibility as to how much I'm spending and where it's going.

I looked into this at the time, and Tandem actually bought the banking licence off Harrods Bank. This bank did appear on my aggregation service (Money Brilliant) for a while, and I could connect it and see my Tandem transactions in it, but this has now disappeared.

Money Brilliant, and many other such aggregation services like Spendee, etc. use Yodlee, a big account aggregation collection/reading service that all these money management apps use on the back-end to read from your bank/card accounts.

Yodlee can read almost ANYTHING - they can even pull my pensions, premium bonds, brokerage account, etc - but they can't read Tandem, any more, which gives me the feeling Tandem are either transitioning from the old Harrods Bank platform to a new one which Yodlee will eventually support, perhaps as part of upcoming Open Banking, or they're keeping investment in ancillary services very minimal, which might end up being frustrating in many ways.

Either way, at the moment it means I can't use my normal method to review/track my spend, which makes the few pounds a month I make from cashback not worth the hassle. The Tandem app feels 'modern' in that it's chatbot-based, but also minimalist in that it's a great way for them to hide the fact they may not have many services available in the app. I do find it frustrating to log into it sometimes. But having said that, I hardly use it aside from the alerts, so it's not a big problem.
    • WibblyGirly
    • By WibblyGirly 12th Aug 18, 2:01 PM
    • 396 Posts
    • 706 Thanks
    WibblyGirly
    Has anyone recently applied for the card? I applied about a month ago and haven't heard back yet on if I've accepted or not. Is there a long wait time?
    • john1002
    • By john1002 12th Aug 18, 3:17 PM
    • 923 Posts
    • 380 Thanks
    john1002
    Not normally so suggest you contact them to find out, as if your accepted then Card is normally received in 5 days max.

Good luck

John
    • bubieyehyeh
    • By bubieyehyeh 12th Aug 18, 7:37 PM
    • 399 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    bubieyehyeh
    I believe if you apply from the website, Tandem tell you at the end of the application process if your accepted and credit limit, and then you can accept the offer.
    • WibblyGirly
    • By WibblyGirly 13th Aug 18, 5:52 PM
    • 396 Posts
    • 706 Thanks
    WibblyGirly
    Thank you, i did ask and they said they are having a lot of applications but mine is being checked over.

If I choose to cancel the application will this affect me negatively when I apply for a mortgage in about 6 months?
    • Warmq
    • By Warmq 15th Aug 18, 10:26 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Warmq
    Does tandem not provide monthly statements by post?
    I thought I read that somewhere.
    • bubieyehyeh
    • By bubieyehyeh 15th Aug 18, 1:09 PM
    • 399 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    bubieyehyeh
    Does tandem not provide monthly statements by post?
    I thought I read that somewhere.
    Originally posted by Warmq

It provides a statement by post, but everything apart from the actual payment date is available in the app. The app doesn't show the payment date as such, but says number of days to payment due, so you can work it out.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,692Posts Today

7,302Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin