Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ABRDF
    • By ABRDF 23rd Mar 18, 5:00 AM
    • 37Posts
    • 10Thanks
    ABRDF
    Tandem Bank credit card woes
    • 23rd Mar 18, 5:00 AM
    Tandem Bank credit card woes 23rd Mar 18 at 5:00 AM
    Hi

My partner and I waited for 3 months on the wait list to get Tandemís credit card offering of 0.5% cash back and no fee foreign transactions, because of Martinís recommendation.

After 2 months of use we are reviewing our decision, does anyone else have feed back, Tandem donít have a community site like Starling or Monzo or a ďTrustpilotĒ site and I canít see any feed back here, either good or bad!

Our findings:
    1- The app looks and feels old school, poorly designed, slow with little functionality..
    2- The app needs a new pin every two weeks and you have ring the customer service number in core hours of 8 till 6.
    3- The out of hours customer service is outsourced, and they have little understanding of the product and only deal with fraud or lost cards. They also appear to be reading from a script.
    4- The balances on the app are incorrect
    5- Refunds show but the balance is not updated
    6- Pre authorisation show in app but never drop off the app when not collected by the merchants
    7- Customer services are only Monday to Friday 8-6, they are friendly, but donít really understand the issues because their system transactions and balances are different from the app, you have to send screen shots to verify what your saying
    8- Paper statements, no online offering, statement balance not shown in app
    9- Account aggregation does not work with First Direct due to password issues in the app
    10- Missing transaction and transactions disappear from the app (balance stays the same)
    11- Long call wait times
    12- No instant chat
    13- Launching savings account when this product does not have fully functional and robust customer app / interface
    14- No in app notification of transaction
    15- Security setup when joining could not be complete the account pin request - still havenít been able to achieve this

When you do speak to the customer services team you do often get to speak with the same person which is a bonus, but they have to pass everything on. Very limited improvement in the app, itís functionality and appearance in two months, some problems they say should be fixed in the next two months some they donít have timescales, not all customers are have the same problems. I believe the developers should look to apps from Starling and Monzo to see great new world (fintech) banking apps, Tandems app looks, feels and offers the functionality of Lloydís Bank app 5 years ago.

Unlike Starlingís Anne Boden their CEO who answers tweets from customer with good and bad issues eve late at night, Ricky Knox the CEO of Tandem just BLOCKS YOU!!!

Your thoughts please, are we the only ones witnessing these issues? It would help us to decide to stay or go, 0.5% cash back is not enough to wade through the problems with Tandem, when we also have Clarity Cards and Monzo and Starling already.

Finally should Martins team be recommending Tandem in its current state. Has my mother would say Tandem is ďall fur coat and no knickersĒ!!!128514;
Page 3
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 20th Jul 18, 5:19 PM
    • 1,366 Posts
    • 965 Thanks
    dj1471
    Please don't use this thread for referral requests/offers, it's against the forum rules.

Take it to the referrers forum:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42
    • djjd70
    • By djjd70 23rd Jul 18, 11:38 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    djjd70
    I can't rate the Tandem credit card and service highly enough at the moment.
    - application was easy and quick
    - card arrived in 4 days
    - app works fine (am only using it to view credit card balance)
    - love the fact that you can see transactions immediately, no waiting 2 or 3 days for purchases to show, so you know exactly what you've spent at any point in time
    - message sent when card used, which feels useful in case of fraudulent use

Well worth getting I'd say.
    • Harrypods
    • By Harrypods 29th Jul 18, 10:31 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Harrypods
    Tandem doesn't feature on Aggregation/Yodlee services
    I've been a Tandem user for a few months now. Generally it's great to have a Mastercard with cashback. I favour my Amex as my wife has one with 1% CB, but for all the smaller shops that won't take Amex, the Tandem works great.

It does give you instant app notifications when used, which is great and gives that little extra reassurance.

I do find it frustrating for two reasons, both "first world problems":

1. There's no Apple Pay support, so you have to carry/use the card physically.
    Probably fair enough, as they're likely losing enough money with their 0.5% CB, let alone paying Apple their percentage too.

2. They are not supported by aggregation services like Spendee, Moneyhub, Moneybrilliant, etc
    Now. this IS a pain for me. I use Money Brilliant to aggregate all my cards and accounts into one online portal, mainly because it allows me to have multiple cards and use the most suitable one at any moment (eg. highest cashback that's accepted), and not even worry about which one I'm using as it all gets tracked and categorised in one place. So - now I'm using Tandem several times a day, and it's not supported, it means I have a huge gap in my visibility as to how much I'm spending and where it's going.

I looked into this at the time, and Tandem actually bought the banking licence off Harrods Bank. This bank did appear on my aggregation service (Money Brilliant) for a while, and I could connect it and see my Tandem transactions in it, but this has now disappeared.

Money Brilliant, and many other such aggregation services like Spendee, etc. use Yodlee, a big account aggregation collection/reading service that all these money management apps use on the back-end to read from your bank/card accounts.

Yodlee can read almost ANYTHING - they can even pull my pensions, premium bonds, brokerage account, etc - but they can't read Tandem, any more, which gives me the feeling Tandem are either transitioning from the old Harrods Bank platform to a new one which Yodlee will eventually support, perhaps as part of upcoming Open Banking, or they're keeping investment in ancillary services very minimal, which might end up being frustrating in many ways.

Either way, at the moment it means I can't use my normal method to review/track my spend, which makes the few pounds a month I make from cashback not worth the hassle. The Tandem app feels 'modern' in that it's chatbot-based, but also minimalist in that it's a great way for them to hide the fact they may not have many services available in the app. I do find it frustrating to log into it sometimes. But having said that, I hardly use it aside from the alerts, so it's not a big problem.
    • WibblyGirly
    • By WibblyGirly 12th Aug 18, 2:01 PM
    • 427 Posts
    • 780 Thanks
    WibblyGirly
    Has anyone recently applied for the card? I applied about a month ago and haven't heard back yet on if I've accepted or not. Is there a long wait time?
    • john1002
    • By john1002 12th Aug 18, 3:17 PM
    • 933 Posts
    • 384 Thanks
    john1002
    Not normally so suggest you contact them to find out, as if your accepted then Card is normally received in 5 days max.

Good luck

John
    • bubieyehyeh
    • By bubieyehyeh 12th Aug 18, 7:37 PM
    • 419 Posts
    • 123 Thanks
    bubieyehyeh
    I believe if you apply from the website, Tandem tell you at the end of the application process if your accepted and credit limit, and then you can accept the offer.
    • WibblyGirly
    • By WibblyGirly 13th Aug 18, 5:52 PM
    • 427 Posts
    • 780 Thanks
    WibblyGirly
    Thank you, i did ask and they said they are having a lot of applications but mine is being checked over.

If I choose to cancel the application will this affect me negatively when I apply for a mortgage in about 6 months?
    • bubieyehyeh
    • By bubieyehyeh 15th Aug 18, 1:09 PM
    • 419 Posts
    • 123 Thanks
    bubieyehyeh
    Does tandem not provide monthly statements by post?
    I thought I read that somewhere.
    Originally posted by Warmq

It provides a statement by post, but everything apart from the actual payment date is available in the app. The app doesn't show the payment date as such, but says number of days to payment due, so you can work it out.
    • sharsky53
    • By sharsky53 16th Sep 18, 8:41 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sharsky53
    Hi

My partner and I waited for 3 months on the wait list to get Tandemís credit card offering of 0.5% cash back and no fee foreign transactions, because of Martinís recommendation.

After 2 months of use we are reviewing our decision, does anyone else have feed back, Tandem donít have a community site like Starling or Monzo or a ďTrustpilotĒ site and I canít see any feed back here, either good or bad!

Our findings:
    1- The app looks and feels old school, poorly designed, slow with little functionality..
    2- The app needs a new pin every two weeks and you have ring the customer service number in core hours of 8 till 6.
    3- The out of hours customer service is outsourced, and they have little understanding of the product and only deal with fraud or lost cards. They also appear to be reading from a script.
    6- Pre authorisation show in app but never drop off the app when not collected by the merchants
    7- Customer services are only Monday to Friday 8-6, they are friendly, but donít really understand the issues because their system transactions and balances are different from the app, you have to send screen shots to verify what your saying
    9- Account aggregation does not work with First Direct due to password issues in the app
    10- Missing transaction and transactions disappear from the app (balance stays the same)
    11- Long call wait times
    12- No instant chat
    13- Launching savings account when this product does not have fully functional and robust customer app / interface
    15- Security setup when joining could not be complete the account pin request - still havenít been able to achieve this

When you do speak to the customer services team you do often get to speak with the same person which is a bonus, but they have to pass everything on. Very limited improvement in the app, itís functionality and appearance in two months, some problems they say should be fixed in the next two months some they donít have timescales, not all customers are have the same problems. I believe the developers should look to apps from Starling and Monzo to see great new world (fintech) banking apps, Tandems app looks, feels and offers the functionality of Lloydís Bank app 5 years ago.

Unlike Starlingís Anne Boden their CEO who answers tweets from customer with good and bad issues eve late at night, Ricky Knox the CEO of Tandem just BLOCKS YOU!!!

Your thoughts please, are we the only ones witnessing these issues? It would help us to decide to stay or go, 0.5% cash back is not enough to wade through the problems with Tandem, when we also have Clarity Cards and Monzo and Starling already.

Finally should Martins team be recommending Tandem in its current state. Has my mother would say Tandem is ďall fur coat and no knickersĒ!!!128514;
    Originally posted by ABRDF
    This outfit are totally amateurish. I applied for a card and then realised no app for windows and no additional card holder. Cancelled before use. Now I have an Android phone and they allow additional card holders. Re-applied but even though they admit my previous application has been cancelled, each time I apply it tells me I cannot have two cards. Have emailed them back and forth for the last month and they cannot solve the problem and don't know how to. Total bunch of novices - steer clear of these people, how can you possibly trust them to handle your money. Look at the app ratings, it is totally worrying.
    • Zanderman
    • By Zanderman 16th Sep 18, 10:55 PM
    • 1,877 Posts
    • 4,582 Thanks
    Zanderman
    This outfit are totally amateurish. I applied for a card and then realised no app for windows and no additional card holder. Cancelled before use. Now I have an Android phone and they allow additional card holders. Re-applied but even though they admit my previous application has been cancelled, each time I apply it tells me I cannot have two cards. Have emailed them back and forth for the last month and they cannot solve the problem and don't know how to. Total bunch of novices - steer clear of these people, how can you possibly trust them to handle your money. Look at the app ratings, it is totally worrying.
    Originally posted by sharsky53
    Well, I've had the card for some time and whilst the app is a bit odd I've no reason to grumble - all has worked fine, everytime. It's my credit card of choice these days - instant notification and cashback.

Your suggestion that they now allow additional cardholders is interesting - my understanding (and I've just checked on their faqs) is that they still don't do this. So what are you basing your statement on?
    • mdwn
    • By mdwn 18th Sep 18, 12:49 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mdwn
    Took about a week to receive my Tandem Card and Pin so very quick service. Expected once activated to be able to quickly get a 2nd card for my wife. Phoned in today and very quick to answer phone but then found out that phone team don't deal with 2nd cards and send a request to applications team. This team currently taking 3 weeks to send an email form where I can then say what name I want on the card and once submitted takes another 5-7 days for card to arrive. They've obviously streamlined initial application then back to the dark ages to get a second card. App is very basic and no web-based access so will be interesting to see how good it is once we start using the card!
    • NewToTheUkAgain
    • By NewToTheUkAgain 18th Sep 18, 1:33 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    NewToTheUkAgain
    What sort of limits are people getting with the cards?

I know different circumstances can apply etc, but just to know if they give any decent limits out.
    • chineplate
    • By chineplate 23rd Sep 18, 10:29 AM
    • 40 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    chineplate
    5K for me. It's a start.
    • npower_frustrated
    • By npower_frustrated 25th Sep 18, 11:04 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    npower_frustrated
    I've had my T card for a few months now.
    For anyone who's interested, I'd say it's very much like the Curate's Egg......

Pros:
    1. Fairly simple & quick application process.
    2. You can BACS (FPS) as much money into the account as you like - effectively overcoming any low credit limits you may have; if I have any large transactions to make, I "forward-pay" the approximate amount into the account before making the purchase, so there's never a problem with getting close to my limit, or having transactions declined.
    3. I really like the instant notification of credits/debits, on my mobile devices; you have confidence that payments have immediately gone in (and a lot quicker than many issuers - who keep your hard-earned for days before actually crediting your a/c), and it's a great early-warning system of any fraud / unauthorised activity on your a/c. TOP FEATURE, THIS!
    4. All transactions seem to appear much more quickly on the app, than most other issuers' platforms.
    5. Contactless functionality.
    6. At 0.5%, currently best uncapped cashback around (notwithstanding Amex, which I don't use - for several reasons).
    7. Cashback is applied to the account regularly, and quickly - unlike some issuers' products (like Amex) where you have to wait until year-end in order to get your money.

Cons:
    1. CRAP customer interfaces; the cust. svcs. phone line, just goes to a UK-based call centre - who deal with lots of different companies - not just Tandem card. You're therefore not talking to "Tandem" at all - effectively, just a messanger service, for anything but the very ordinary queries. I have no faith in these folk at all. It's not their fault, but it seems to me that Tandem are just cutting costs to the bone - thereby not providing any meaningful "service" at all.
    2. No online chat available.
    3. "Instant message" on the occasions I've used it, has been a joke! I waited patiently for a response - for 10 mins, or so - whilst doing other things online - but eventually gave up. Finally got a response something like 4 days later!!!!! These aren't furious rantings Folks - just facts, from someone who does everything online, and has done so for many years - with several different bank a/cs, and many different credit card a/cs over the years. I'm just passing on my experiences to others - particularly those considering the Tandem card as their next product.
    4. App-only log in. Let there be no doubt, Folks - you cannot access your account via the normal route - i.e. a web browser - you can ONLY use the Tandem app. Bad, bad decision, Tandem!
    5. I've not been able to log-in for the last 5 days! Called "Customer services" who could only tell me that customers were experiencing difficulties, and to "Keep trying" !!! I asked to speak to a manager, who admitted that it was a call centre, and that they could only report the problem to the Tandem IT dept. on Monday, when IT would be back at work!! So, this is a modern credit card issuer, who's customers need access to their account 24 hrs a day, 365 days a year, and who rely entirely on electronic account access, but which according to their 3rd part customer service agents, don't provide 24 hr IT cover.
    You couldn't make this stuff up!

To sum up - great little card, with some good features, but which is issued by a group of people who've not thought through what their customer really want, or need.
    Thinking of applying? Come back in 2021, or so, when they may have got the message not to fob people off with low-quality 3rd party "service" and when they've sorted out their schoolboy errors.
    As I said in the beginning - the Tandem credit card is very much like the Curate's Egg......
    • ABRDF
    • By ABRDF 26th Sep 18, 9:18 AM
    • 37 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    ABRDF
    Thanks for your considered post.

Since my initial posting Tandem have improved a little and fixed some of my earlier issues, but I agree they are a long way from being a customer focused product. Customer service is my biggest issue still, has you say using a third party company for customer service is really poor, this 3rd party organisation talks from scripts and is really only a message taker. The in app chat is a joke its only a message taking service and can take upto 4 days to reply to you. If and when you do get through to Tandem Bank customer services they are generally helpful but its not consistent.

Overall a promising start but with many many problems, including not being able to speak with any senior managers when a big problem occurs. Also Ricky Knox (CEO) blocks anyone from his twitter feed if they suggest that Tandem has problems.
    • audymaccop
    • By audymaccop 5th Oct 18, 3:17 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    audymaccop
    Tandem Bank credit card woes
    23rd Mar 18 at 4:00 AM
    Hi

Our findings:
    11- Long call wait times
    12- No instant chat

I have just expected to call them twice, addressed rapidly, about a specialized issue tolerating their offer at record opening, and to set up an immediate charge. I'm set up to perceive how it goes in the expectation they can enhance their application and offices all in all, yet except if they can acquire adequate speculation to enlist fair application designers and other staff I don't believe it will work out for them.
    Presently if Starling Bank or Monzo Bank, with their great applications and framework when all is said in done, propelled a charge free for abroad and cashback Mastercard, that would be great.
    • janark
    • By janark 12th Oct 18, 6:52 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    janark
    So it's now been 7 months since the thread was first opened, but having come across it just now, nearly all (if not all) of the issues that were listed there still exist today, including the ones that would take "a few months" to sort out.

Personally, I've had a Tandem card for something like half a year now, but I stopped using it after the first few months and it will be the first ever credit card that I'm going to actually go ahead and close. Yes, the cashback is attractive, but 50 extra quid a month isn't even close to being worth the hassle and frustration, let alone the time spent on the phone when things go wrong (and boy do they go wrong! Thus far, I've had to call CS 3 times to get the app re-instated when it's crashed and done a permanent log-out).

I can safely say that Tandem in general has been by far the worst banking experience of any kind that I've had in the UK and worldwide ... and worldwide includes countries like Malta, which says something.

My issues with Tandem are multiple, but mainly:

* The app barely works. Not even talking about the lack of functionality (which, for a mobile-only bank, is disgraceful), but the app keeps on crashing and showing all sorts of anomalies. And no, I'm not using an old phone or a "jailbroken" version of a phone, etc.

* What's with paper-only statements in 2018 AND by a supposedly "fully digital" bank?!?

* I make a lot of transactions overseas and therefore, like to examine my transactions in detail to make sure I'm not overcharged. Tandem provides only VERY basic information about each transaction, not allowing me to properly match transactions.

* The credit limit I was given is, frankly, quite pointless. I'm not sure how they come up with the limits that they provide but my limit is roughly 5 times smaller than most of my other cards. That said, this isn't a huge issue as Tandem allows me to put the card into debit, which is great.

* The overall quality of customer service is shocking and they're absolutely clueless to say the least. I'll give you just one example or many:

Me (calling in): I've applied to set up Direct Debit last month and was wondering if everything is properly set up and the payment will be taken by DD this month or do I still need to pay manually for now?

CS Rep: Yes, everything is set up and your payment will be taken automatically.

And then, two days later, I get a message saying I've missed my payment and because of that, I need to pay interest on the balance (which was supposed to be paid in full via DD) despite paying it the following day.

All in all, Tandem seems like a bunch of kids trying out "this fintech stuff" from their parents' basement, rather than a bank that can be taken seriously.

I'm out.

P.S. I just remembered something rather curious. For some odd reason, my Tandem card isn't showing up on any of the three credit agencies! Not sure if it's just me or does Tandem not sync their data with credit bureaus.
    • beany_bot
    • By beany_bot 12th Oct 18, 10:02 AM
    • 88 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    beany_bot
    Well I just got rejected straight away for a Tandem Credit card. emmm.... what?

Don't think I have ever been rejected for credit, I have several cards with large balances (and very low utilization) and my credit score is excellent/perfect. I like to think I am the perfect customer for a CC. I have no recent searches, long account histories. Everything you want.

How very strange, and somewhat annoying! I don't understand.

Anyone else had this?
    • janark
    • By janark 14th Oct 18, 11:08 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    janark
    Well I just got rejected straight away for a Tandem Credit card. emmm.... what?

Don't think I have ever been rejected for credit, I have several cards with large balances (and very low utilization) and my credit score is excellent/perfect. I like to think I am the perfect customer for a CC. I have no recent searches, long account histories. Everything you want.

How very strange, and somewhat annoying! I don't understand.

Anyone else had this?
    Originally posted by beany_bot
    I'm actually not overly surprised by this. Their systems in general seem to be an absolute mess, so I would expect the same to apply to their automated credit worthiness vetting system.

I didn't have it as bad as you did, but was given a ridiculously low credit limit despite having excellent credit in every regard imaginable.

My recommendation: just move on to a CC provider that actually wants your business.
    • ABRDF
    • By ABRDF 14th Oct 18, 2:48 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    ABRDF
    Just a quick further update;

1. On line statements have now been available for two weeks, you can go back to all of the previous statements, they appear immediatlyon

2. Ability to freeze card is now on the app under manage your card
    3. Bills are shown with countdown to direct Debits and what is ging to be taken including text reminders
    4. Customer service still very poor and with limited hours
    5. Fixed credit limits with no opportunity to increase them and yes they are lower
    6. Journey Credit card launched for those with limited credit history.

Tandem are on a journey and its a slow one!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,084Posts Today

7,503Users online

Martin's Twitter