Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 12th Mar 18, 5:58 AM
    • 2,196Posts
    • 14,864Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    What small DFW things will you do w/c12th March?
    • 12th Mar 18, 5:58 AM
    What small DFW things will you do w/c12th March? 12th Mar 18 at 5:58 AM
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
Page 2
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 13th Mar 18, 12:03 PM
    • 1,576 Posts
    • 12,069 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Hi everyone!

I hope you don't mind me joining in, but I need to hold myself accountable. I work 9-5 mon-fri, but when I get home I just cant be bothered to do anything, so I NEED to make a list, and hopefully you guys can keep me in check.

Hope its okay that I've joined in today!
    Originally posted by LiveLifeFull
    Hi LiveLifeFull

Welcome to the thread. Always the more, the merrier!
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31

SAVINGS: £9433.44
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 13th Mar 18, 1:03 PM
    • 837 Posts
    • 7,728 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Afternoon all,

Welcome Livelifefull

Todays list from me
    ys bread for ds1s breakfast with scrambled eggs
    Ds2 to free school breakfast
    Gym session done and refilled water bottle
    Out for brunch with my parents, I paid as I had a 5% off there from me current account.
    Wash a load on the quick 30 degree wash
    Hang ^^ out on the line as its nice and dry weather for a change!
    Slow cooker beef stew and dumplings for tea tonight
    Check banking/updated spreadsheets
    Make families lunches for tomorrow
    Put washing away off the radiators from yesterday A few bits off the line have now gone on the radiator to finish off
    General tidy round and look for things to go in the cs bag as I need to keep on top of the decluttering

That's my starter, have a good day all.
    Last edited by 1LuckyLady; 13-03-2018 at 6:05 PM.
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 13th Mar 18, 1:41 PM
    • 5,056 Posts
    • 39,919 Thanks
    DawnW
    Afternoon all
    Nice day today, so far
    Today's list:
    Load of washing out on line to dry (Done)
    Take new items to sales unit to fill gaps (Done)
    Two more bags of the mint I split up gone to freecyclers
    Pulled a bunch of baby carrots from a big pot in the garden These were sown too late last year really, but GD wanted to plant some seeds. They are only small, but will make our leftovers seem more of a treat this evening
    Went out briefly with OH to deliver an item he had sold
    Checked banks and updated spreadsheet
    A Yougov survey - may look for others later
    Sowed peas and tomato seeds
    No spending intended today
    Listed an item on ebay - may do a couple more!
    Managed a couple more things - a detachable liner for a posh brand of waxed jacket and a posh brand of fleece jacket, OH chucked them out yesterday - he doesn't like wearing the jacket with the liner in it, and the fleece thing, well, I can't think when that would last have fitted him I think it is probably something he was given / picked up cheap secondhand and never worn. Both are in good nick and both already have watchers
    Last edited by DawnW; 13-03-2018 at 7:35 PM.
    NSDs for June 10 / 10
    Groceries / cleaning / toiletries / pet food etc £227.30 / £250
    Fuel 99.95 / £100

• allydowd
    • By allydowd 13th Mar 18, 3:27 PM
    • 4,157 Posts
    • 26,672 Thanks
    allydowd

* Today is "Operation Kitchen". We moved in 6 months ago and pretty much just threw all our kitchen stuff in the cupboards.

Originally posted by allydowd
    It is done! It took me two hours, less time than I thought.

Highlights:
    * Found the "proper corkscrew" that had been missing for ages and a brand new chopping board that neither of us remembers buying.
    * Found that we have supplies of everything we need.
    * Getting all the kitchen things into the kitchen(?!). No food in the general storage room down the hall.
    * Everything is now arranged logically: all the coffee making things in one place near the kettle etc.
    * The things we seldom use are now stored up high or down low.
    * We have a lot of Bovril and vinegar and 500 teabags. Will make plans for these.

I'm also really relieved that I didn't find a load of useless junk in there. (DW can be a ClutterBug.) It looks like the things we kept when we moved were the right things.

Last edited by allydowd; 13-03-2018 at 3:43 PM.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015
    The Joy Account: £50

Bold Bicycle Bonanza: 103.49 km
    "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 13th Mar 18, 4:05 PM
    • 1,576 Posts
    • 12,069 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Grrrr car problem akin to Ally's boot clasp. £300 quid for eff all

The silver lining, is that 5 years ago, this would have gone onto a cc, with general curses of "where the hell are we going to find that money?" whereas now it's "grrrr what a blimming nuisance"
    Last edited by carrielovesfanta; 13-03-2018 at 4:09 PM.

• ziggy2407
    • By ziggy2407 13th Mar 18, 4:09 PM
    • 3,113 Posts
    • 23,815 Thanks
    ziggy2407
    Rushed back excitedly to pick up the next batch of cards only to find they'd printed them on the wrong card. They are reprinting tomorrow and it looks like I get the keep the others too but I wouldn't sell them as the card is a bit thin and cheap looking, I have no idea what to with them!
    Originally posted by FatVonD
    Can you frame them and sell at your craft fairs etc?
    Make £5 per day in Jan 18: £491.91/£155 Make £5 per day in Feb 18: £51.40/£140 Make £5 per day in Mar 18: £150.36/£155 Make £5 per day in Apr 18: £93.25/3150 Make £5 per day in May 18: £8/£155 Make £5 per day in June 18: £13.04/£150
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 13th Mar 18, 4:12 PM
    • 1,576 Posts
    • 12,069 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Originally posted by ziggy2407

Or sell cheaply as "seconds"?

• ziggy2407
    • By ziggy2407 13th Mar 18, 4:40 PM
    • 3,113 Posts
    • 23,815 Thanks
    ziggy2407
    Good Afternoon All

LiveLifeFull - Welcome to the thread

Hi to all of the regulars and a BIG welcome to all the newbies, this is a really FAB thread with so many lovely, caring, considerate and supportive people.

Today we have/will:

Checked Bank and made PAD
    Gym (rehab/physio) - another great session, feeling so much brighter
    Hubby has deep cleaned car
    Finished Ironing
    Purge a few emails
    Enter a few comps
    Swagbucks
    Surveys
    All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer
    Checked: Tombola Stars, Lucky Bob, Luckyphone, FPL

Have a great day all.

C x
    Make £5 per day in Jan 18: £491.91/£155 Make £5 per day in Feb 18: £51.40/£140 Make £5 per day in Mar 18: £150.36/£155 Make £5 per day in Apr 18: £93.25/3150 Make £5 per day in May 18: £8/£155 Make £5 per day in June 18: £13.04/£150
    • onedaysomeday
    • By onedaysomeday 13th Mar 18, 5:42 PM
    • 520 Posts
    • 736 Thanks
    onedaysomeday
    I have stocked up on sandwich stuff and bread at work for the week so I can stop using "I woke up late" as an excuse for forgetting to take a packed lunch to work instead of going out and buying something
    Just trying to make up for past mistakes and work towards the future I want
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 13th Mar 18, 7:35 PM
    • 4,106 Posts
    • 21,259 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Evening all,
    Busy day. Money saving bits as follows:
    *Free fitness walking to post office. Made good inroads into my daily step target (7000), as I've done more than 10,000 today & have burned 500 calories more than I've eaten (which is my aim).
    *Cleared small garden border & rescued lots of self-sown plants (hence free ones!).
    *Blitzed general dumping ground behind greenhouse & found some useful stuff I'd forgotten about, as well as lot of stuff for our hungry compost bins.
    *Laundry dried outside on the line. Washer set on timer for another cheap overnight wash.
    *Made wraps for tonight's meal using some of the refried beans I batch cooked last month & home made fajhita spice.
    *Straightened out a slightly inaccurate Savings Piggy.
    *Did a survey.
    *Checked ebay listings. Seems like a lot of effort after getting used to Ziffit though may have to chase Z if I don't hear from them this week that they've received my parcel.
    *Watered seedlings.
    *Did a bit of maintenance on bathroom basin as it was running slowly. Much improved.
    *mr f seems to have sorted out a scary-looking problem with our living flames gas fire without calling gasman out. If problem reoccurs, will defo phone it in though as you need to be safe where gas is concerned.
    *Did some mending.
    *Continue knitting project.
    Mr f on a half day tomorrow. I am apparently being taken out for coffee....which will be much more exciting than my own planned purchase.......a new mop-head! My life just gets more glamorous every day, doesn't it?
    Just going to shift cat to check that fire again, then knitting needle time.
    Bye,
    F xx
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = £470-01
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £304 2018 = £259
    • Baileys Babe
    • By Baileys Babe 13th Mar 18, 9:11 PM
    • 2,253 Posts
    • 10,971 Thanks
    Baileys Babe
    LiveLifeFull Hello and Welcome

Ally Glad to hear you survived operation kitchen. Tick that frog off your list whilst wearing a big smile.

Or sell cheaply as "seconds"?
    Originally posted by carrielovesfanta
    I like your thinking Ziggy & CLF.

I'm getting jealous of peoples talk about drying laundry outside, even on the days it has not snowed or rained the flags have still been wet, so no point as the won't dry out there. children

Children had training in a neighbouring city which takes at least 3 hours out of the middle of the day, which is somewhat frustrating.

Today's list:
    Chase refund #1 item returned in January Refund done manually, the item has been lost by Royal Mail
    Chase refund #2 item returned in February Refund done manually, my refund "got lost" between their systems and was missed when they updated one part of the system
    I will keep an eye on that the money does actually come back to us
    Haggle our broadband package reneogiated, the same package but saving £220+ for the year
    HE children Done
    BLD from stores Done
    Stick to meal plan Done
    Turn off lights and appliances not in use Done
    Renew library books Done
    RM survey Done, the new system is interesting
    PAD Done
    Transfer money between accounts Done
    Use some of the tea mountain Done today it was decaf teabag & loose leaf earl grey
    Use free milk pods with my tea Done, used with my regular red bush cuppa, coffee & earl grey I had black, I served friends milk in a jug

A friend popped round for an hour, tea/coffee/biscuits from stores and catching up all free

I'm not able to get the coloured text to work

Best go, ds is singing David Bowie at the top of his voice, not exactly in bed sleeping.
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 13th Mar 18, 10:28 PM
    • 6,859 Posts
    • 40,212 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Morning Back to work today - ouch it seems harsh the week after my weekend to only have 1 day off before going back for 2...

Today:

* hang up washing before leaving. Put another load on and set timer
    * cook pasta (for oh's lunch) and broccoli for mine
    * gather together the rest of my lunch
    * wash hair (nearly always leave to dry anyway)
    * work hard - have set myself a couple of goals for this week
    * check onepoll
    * check banking
    * print off a couple of mocs (from the freebies board) registered but didn't print
    * go through fridge to make sure nothing gets wasted 1/2 done

Ok that's all I'll get done. Happy Tuesday guys x
    Originally posted by determined new ms
    It's been ages since I've completed my list! Also:

* tidied up kitchen & lounge because it was a bomb!
    * oh announced madam has asked for packed lunch tomorrow so made a batch of wheatabix brownies trying not to eat them now!
    * used some chicken in the freezer and a little pesto for oh's lunch
    * hung up washing & did another load as realised madam didn't have a clean one! Will dry on the airer overnight
    * ironed my clothes for tomorrow
    * listened to my audio book while working in the kitchen
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling 2017 £3016.55/Roadkill £8.73
    Wombling 2018 £145.73/RK £0.04
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 14th Mar 18, 1:39 AM
    • 5,119 Posts
    • 20,652 Thanks
    FatVonD
    I could definitely do that with the Christening one, I might take a trip to the pound shop to look at frames!

CLF, if they definitely don't ask for them back then 60 slightly sub standard Shayla cards might be winging their way to you

It was like a spring day here this morning for about half an hour!

I've spent more time sorting and tidying in the house and finally got around to putting down a rug to suppress some weeds at the back of my house where I'm going to put some tyres down to grow some fruit/veggies this summer.

I posted my grant application so fingers crossed!
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 14th Mar 18, 6:35 AM
    • 6,859 Posts
    • 40,212 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Morning a few minutes before I jump in the shower and get ready for work. Am tired but luckily I have a day off tomorrow...

Small things:

* lunches made for everyone - madam is wanting packed lunches at the moment
    * checked banking & cc
    * quick shower
    * print off moc at work
    * hang up washing
    * pick up milk - hopefully can use moc
    * check onepoll
    * text cm and see if madam can go to her's 2 days in the Easter hols
    * make a list for things needed to make my bff's birthday cake - am making individual salted caramel cheese cakes

Ok that's all I can think of right now so better go jump in the shower
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling 2017 £3016.55/Roadkill £8.73
    Wombling 2018 £145.73/RK £0.04
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 14th Mar 18, 8:45 AM
    • 1,576 Posts
    • 12,069 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta

CLF, if they definitely don't ask for them back then 60 slightly sub standard Shayla cards might be winging their way to you
    Originally posted by FatVonD
    Honestly - my dad is so MSE he would give Martin Lewis a run for his money. My dad would be so thrilled to get those cards and literally we would get them for every birthday, Easter and Christmas until they ran out

Example: He literally presented us all with pound shop watches at Christmas and he was so proud! He went into lots of details about why it was such an excellent bargain and how we could use them in the garden etc.
    Last edited by carrielovesfanta; 14-03-2018 at 8:55 AM.

• carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 14th Mar 18, 8:54 AM
    • 1,576 Posts
    • 12,069 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Morning folks

Looks like lots of excellent mseness going on. Got a lot to get through today so a list is very important. We are going on a little holiday (UK) trip for a few days so have stuff to do.

Slight change of plan last night and went for a pint
    • B/L/D from stores.
    • Get the car from the garage - good news! Some sort or repair was effected and only cost £57 instead of £300! However if it breaks again, we have to do the expensive repair.
    • Print off hotel bookings at work - done
    • Email Crossfit box in Leeds to see if we can train there on Friday - done
    • Email EcoEgg to say that my parcel has never arrived - arrived in today's post!
    • Put away all washing
    • Whizz hoover round
    • Pack bags
    • Check that the heating works on timer d/t expected cold snap - done
    • Charge phone in work - done
    • Gym at lunchtime - done. Body did not want.
    • No alcohol (although there is one lonely beer in the fridge...)
    • Freeze/eat anything that won't last til Monday
    • Top up peas with more soil as the level sank after watering
    Might need to add more as it pops into my head!

Have a good one all

clf x
    Last edited by carrielovesfanta; 14-03-2018 at 5:14 PM.

• DawnW
    • By DawnW 14th Mar 18, 9:15 AM
    • 5,056 Posts
    • 39,919 Thanks
    DawnW
    Morning all
    Today's list looks like this:
    More mint plants / roots outside front door for a freecycler, not many bags left now (Had to split up 2 huge tubs of mint, and I won't throw plants - or indeed anything - away if someone else can use them) Someone else asked too, so 2 bags gone
    Make curried parsnip soup for lunch Done
    Mushroom risotto for dinner Done
    All making use of items I have in the fridge
    Check fridge for anything that needs using or freezing, and list the veg I will need from the market tomorrow morning Done
    Sow some more seeds - leeks today I think! Will check to see what else I have that can go in now - no point in sowing tender things yet though! Well, I did sow some leeks (in a pot) but it was so cold I didn't stay out for long
    Some clearing / tidying in the garden
    Check banks and update spreadsheet Done
    Check for surveys if I can be bothered, flagging a bit on this! Logged into onepoll, was screened out of the single survey available Ought to look at the other sites really, but struggling to be bothered atm
    RM surveys tasks Done, don't like their new web site
    Load of washing dried on line
    Washed and pegged out to dry a large ziplock freezer bag (small things, right? )
    Had 3 separate phone calls from 'Microsoft technical department' to helpfully tell me there is a problem with my computer and only they can fix it Not really funny, as they prey on people they think might be vulnerable Told them where to get off each time, Pretty peed off by the third time and was not polite!
    More coffee needed I think!
    Last edited by DawnW; 14-03-2018 at 7:56 PM.
    NSDs for June 10 / 10
    Groceries / cleaning / toiletries / pet food etc £227.30 / £250
    Fuel 99.95 / £100

• LiveLifeFull
    • By LiveLifeFull 14th Mar 18, 10:45 AM
    • 83 Posts
    • 227 Thanks
    LiveLifeFull
    Morning everyone,

Didn't have the most productive day yesterday, you all seriously put me to shame! I need to try and catch up

MSE TO DO LIST
    - Sweep kitchen and bathroom instead of hoover. NOT DONE
    - Hoover Living room NOT DONE
    - Make dinner form stores DONE
    - Make lunch for tomorrow from stores DONE - I had leftover dinner so winning
    - Read one of my books DONE - So happy I finished a book. Been in a reading slump lately
    - Do some Swagbuks NOT DONE
    - Put dry washing away NOT DONE
    - Pick up washing from parents while washing machine is still broken NOT DONE
    - Hang washing on clotheshorse to air dry NOT DONE
    - PT session with OH. NOT DONE

I cancelled my gym membership at the beginning of Feb to save money. My OH is a mental health nurse but he is also qualified in personal training, so I thought we could do it together, and its free! My first session with him tonight - Lets see how it goes or whether I end up murdering him
    Last edited by LiveLifeFull; 15-03-2018 at 10:34 AM.
    My CC - Feb 18 £849.69 Mar 18 £839.95 Apr 18 £705.78
    My OD - Feb 18 £1250.00 Mar 18 £1250.00 Apr 18 £1250.00
    OH CC - Feb 18 £976.00 Mar 18 £901.00 Apr 18 £802.00
    OH OD - Feb 18 £500.00 Mar 18 £500.00 Apr 18 £500.00
    TOTAL OD/CC DEBT: Feb 18 £3575.69 Mar 18 £3490.95 Apr 18 £3257.78
    OD/CC DEBT FREE DATE: OCTOBER 2018
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 14th Mar 18, 11:56 AM
    • 4,106 Posts
    • 21,259 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Morning Wednesday Penny-Wranglers,
    Useful day so far on the frugal front:
    *Did final laundry load for this week on half-price overnight tariff - am testing laundry product for a survey site at the moment, so am using a freebie. All pegged outside & blowing in the chilly sunshine.
    *Sourdough mixed for baking tomorrow. Jar fed to keep it going for next loaf.
    *Dough also made for tonight's pizza base & a batch of cobs. Just on its first proving.
    *Use last of Sunday's rubber chicken in pizza topping. I cut it up small & toss it in home made fajhita spice mix then use it with peppers, chillies, onions, cheese, etc, to make a kind of vaguely Mexican inspired pizza. Main thing is it's low calorie, tasty & is the sort of meal which helps stop those urges for ordering a takeaway.
    *Done some Easter planning - what I'm baking for family buffet & what gifts we will be giving. I intend to make all the gifts myself. Gone is the £30+ Easter egg spend (& that's with no children of our own & a very small family generally)
    *Checked tender veggie seedlings. 3 tomato seeds not up yet. They may appear or may not bother. I have already sown some back-up ones which I got for 25p, so should have enough. Chilli seedlings looking good. Aubergines & peppers not up yet.
    *Make tomorrow's packed lunch - not yet done, but lunch box out ready.
    *Made a small list for town this afternoon so as to keep focused. Often it's the wandering round kind of feeling like buying something which ends up with an unnecessary purchase that is actually only partly right for what I had in mind. Will try to get free parking, as I don't mind walking in from the outskirts.
    *Leftover wraps for lunch & I shall freeze the rest as there are still plenty of refried beans in the freezer which will easily do further meals.
    *Knit more of my throw later on.
    NOT money saving - Have received notification that our monthly dd for gas & electricity is going up by £16 a month, which I think is quite a lot. That will be £106. We paid £107 a month for ages (I think 2 or 3 years) & kept building up such a surplus that they reduced it to £90 a month. I personally think they're hedging their bets because everyone is expecting prices to rise, & more so post-Brexit, & we have just used more over the last month with me having been poorly & having had that snowy week. I don't think I will contest the rise. I think I will make sure we revisit all our little energy-saving ways & see if we can't get the payment reduced again this time next year when they review it. If I do see a silly amount of surplus, I will ask for it to be refunded. But it's another rise....on top of water rates & I know council tax will be rising too. Really glad I put the work into saving £100 on our recent car insurance renewal now. Very important to stick to budgets with the economy being so uncertain. I'm afraid that whatever we're told officially, I don't think there is any good UK economic news yet for the vast majority of us.
    Cheerful bunny, aren't I? (am realistic bunny).
    Off to think about lunch now.
    F xx
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = £470-01
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £304 2018 = £259
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 14th Mar 18, 2:15 PM
    • 4,157 Posts
    • 26,672 Thanks
    allydowd
    Hi March Money Magicians,

Shuffling off towork.

Free-Nillionaire Continuity Plan Year Three:

* Work very hard on my own mental health issues. Do Holistrio App.

* Check online banking and broadband usage.

* Turned off alarm clock until tonight, it resets itself automatically.

* Cleaned house with Stardrops and washable cloths.

* Take a packed lunch to work.

To live without risk is to risk not living.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015
    The Joy Account: £50

Bold Bicycle Bonanza: 103.49 km
    "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

44Posts Today

3,103Users online

Martin's Twitter