Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

Brexit, the economy and house prices part 5

Options

Comments

• Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,688 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Tromking wrote: »
    That’s some claim you’ve made there. Any evidence for that or just more hyperbole?

Unfortunately only evidence from experts, thus you'll find some way to disprove or disbelieve it. I don't have the energy to keep retreading the same old ground.
  • Lornapink
    Lornapink Posts: 410 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 7 February 2018 at 4:47PM
    Options
    Herzlos wrote: »
    In case we're so far down this tangent you can't remember what you were objecting to. I was pointing out that the claim that all 52% of leavers want the same thing (tracy's hard brexit) was clearly false.

Remainers cant tell which Remain they want, there is no status quo option now.

Tajani called for a substantial increase in the EU's budget.
    'We will need twice as much as today' he said

Schulz: Member States Must Accept United States of Europe Or Leave EU

As European Commission President Juncker told us, There can be no democratic choice against the European treaties.

Restless, somebody pour me a vino.
  • Lornapink
    First Anniversary
    Options

If the forecasts (from government and experts) are anything like reality, I'd be willing to bet we'd be trying to rejoin within 10 years.

Would you mind linking me to the evidence on the reliability of Treasury forecasts please.
    The 2016 forecasts turned out badly wrong. What modelling adjustments did they use this time round to make the new 15 yr forecast reliable?
  • Herzlos
    Options
    Except that the EU isn't a dictatorship, much as some claim it is, and we'd still be able to push to maintain the status quo.

Now we'll have to go along with whatever the rest of the EU wants if we want to access it's markets. As the most reluctant member I think it'll integrate a lot faster now, which is even worse for us on the outside.

Though a point that I do wonder about. What's the actual problem with ever closer union? All that reduction in red tape and redundancy, simpler regulation, and so on.
    Is it loss of national identity? Something the EU has a department to actively maintan, and couldn't be removed from us over various occupations over the centuries?
    Is it the loss of Sovereignty? That we don't really have anyway, because we now get to follow rules with no say in them.
    Is it that it all sounds a bit communist? Or that we don't want to use foreign currencies or we're worried they'll make us speak French?

Is it the latest thing for Brexiteers to latch onto without understanding in an attempt to pretend they want Brexit for more upstanding reasons than good old xenophobia?
  • Lornapink
    First Anniversary
    Options

We've almost become the poor man of Europe again already and we haven't even changed anything.

Here are just a proportion of latest updates on UK plc;

In the last quarter , UK startups raised almost as much capital as those in the rest of the EU put together
    The UK has held on to its top ranked position as an investment destination in Europe with 22% market share worth £38bn, showing that our inward investment appeal retains its dominance despite Brexit uncertainties
    The UK remains the world's top exporter for financial and professional services, with a trade surplus of £57bn, far ahead of the US, which has net exports of £31bn
    Investment in the UK’s fintech segment is double the amount invested in 2016
    Citibank now expects only a handful of London job losses
    Europeans flock to UK Universities with 2017 admissions 10% up on 2016
    An annual figure of 1.8% for 2017 puts the UK ahead of OECD forecasts for growth in fellow G7 members Japan and Italy, both of which are expected to grow at 1.5% in 2017, and in line with France, which is expected to grow at 1.8%.
    Record low unemployment rate.
    Employment growth was concentrated among full-time employee roles.
    Inactivity rate dropped to 21.2%, the joint lowest since records began
    in 1971.
    ONS - the budget deficit hit its lowest December level in 17 years
    Productivity growth first time since 2010
  • Herzlos
    Options
    Lornapink wrote: »
    Would you mind linking me to the evidence on the reliability of Treasury forecasts please.

I didn't make any comments on the accuracy of Treasury forecasts. All forecasts will have a pretty high level of inaccuracy.

But when they all show the same trend, do you assume there might be something to it, or that it's a conspiracy?

Can you show me a single forecast that shows Brexit has any economic improvement against 2016? So not any that show a return from the dip, but an actual improvement, and not the one from Reese Mogg which relies on slashing regulation and tax.
  • Lornapink
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Except that the EU isn't a dictatorship, much as some claim it is, and we'd still be able to push to maintain the status quo.

Now we'll have to go along with whatever the rest of the EU wants if we want to access it's markets. As the most reluctant member I think it'll integrate a lot faster now, which is even worse for us on the outside.

Though a point that I do wonder about. What's the actual problem with ever closer union? All that reduction in red tape and redundancy, simpler regulation, and so on.
    Is it loss of national identity? Something the EU has a department to actively maintan, and couldn't be removed from us over various occupations over the centuries?
    Is it the loss of Sovereignty? That we don't really have anyway, because we now get to follow rules with no say in them.
    Is it that it all sounds a bit communist? Or that we don't want to use foreign currencies or we're worried they'll make us speak French?

Is it the latest thing for Brexiteers to latch onto without understanding in an attempt to pretend they want Brexit for more upstanding reasons than good old xenophobia?

Abiding by market rules is what the entire world does, no probs, for example China or Argentina selling into the EU or US.

We will sit at global rule setting tables that hands down rules to the EU.

Where is the evidence that non EU members feel terribly hampered by not being members? Lots of nations have increased their exports faster into the EU than the UK, so there's no evidence membership is necessary for success.

EVER CLOSER UNION - from Austria to the Czech Republic, Poland to Hungary, Germany to Sweden, we are seeing a tsunami rise of the right & even normal Conservative parties having to beef up their language to levels of pungency we'd never allow in the UK. The Hungarian PM and others keep saying there is a battle to regain the people's democracy. Anyone not aware of this is not able to pass proper judgement on Brexit and the EU.

LOCALISM - we all seem to think localism is a positive, whether it be about local produce or local politics, we like feeling we have more of a say and influence of local issues, that there is local accountability and traceability. Why then would we think far away elites in Brussels would be good at meeting the local needs around our lived daily experiences?
    It's bad enough having Govt based in London, let alone another tier in Brussels run by largely unelected, stupendously out of touch pen pushers.

Your comment on xenophobia I think doesn't warrant a reply.
  • Lornapink
    First Anniversary
    edited 7 February 2018 at 5:14PM
    Options
    I didn't make any comments on the accuracy of Treasury forecasts. All forecasts will have a pretty high level of inaccuracy.

But when they all show the same trend, do you assume there might be something to it, or that it's a conspiracy?

You state a consensus trend does all the heavy lifting.

In which case can you point me to the evidence on the reliability of the economic consensus when it comes to 15 year forecasting please.

I can tell you I've searched high and low and all I find is abject failure when it comes to economic forecasts.
    You will be aware that in 2008 the consensus was no nations would be in recession by 2009, even as Banks were failing. By 2009 some 46 nations were in recession.

I tend not to rely on bodies that have a history of unblemished failure.
  • Tromking
    Tromking Posts: 2,691 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Unfortunately only evidence from experts, thus you'll find some way to disprove or disbelieve it. I don't have the energy to keep retreading the same old ground.

So no actual economic data to back up your claim that the “UK is almost the sick man of Europe” again?
    You know if you make outlandish claims without data to back it up, it’s not up to others to disprove or disbelieve anything don’t you?
    “Britain- A friend to all, beholden to none”. 🇬🇧
  • ukcarper
    ukcarper Posts: 17,337 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    But in what is essentially a 2 party state, a vote for LD is largely wasted unless you're in one of the few seats where LD stand a chance of getting in.

You could use your same logic to claim that since UKIPs vote fell off a cliff, that no-one wants.

No necessary so in many constituencies one party is well ahead In those constituencies a vote for Lib/Dems could have been used as a protest against brexit. The anti brexit partys got a small percentage of votes in England.

UKIPs votes probably fell away because people though the job was done.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure