Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

Brexit, the economy and house prices (Part 3)

Options

Comments

• gfplux
    gfplux Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Hung up my suit!
    Options
    ukcarper wrote: »
    How would you suggest we set a better tone, agree to pay £100 billion.

What sort of tone is set by.

"Go Whistle"

"A Poundland Bismarck"

I find those much more unpleasant and offensive than anything attributed to the EU side.
    There will be no Brexit dividend for Britain.
  • always_sunny
    always_sunny Posts: 8,314 Forumite
    Options
    ukcarper wrote: »
    Is anybody expecting the trade to be the same as it is now, you seem to be saying that we will not settle for anything less than they are now with out freedom of movement, I don't think anybody expects that to happen.

Isn't that the 'have the cake and eat it all'? Actually minus contribution too.
    Trade is some form or another will continue, I doubt there will be sanctions but it will not be as favourable as today.

Beside the money what is in for the EU?
    Why would an union offer a better proposition to a non-member than to existing members?
    Why would the EU put a crack on it knowing that the UK wants to bring down the whole EU?*
    Can you see countries like Frances, Italy, etc ratifying such deal?

As an EU national my priorities are with the EU and if that means cutting the UK lose and keep it at arm length let it be, I am willing to lose some money to keep the rest.
    (This is the same approach for UK nationals, their priorities are with the UK so would want the opposite).

You can't expect the UK and the EU to reach a deal right away, it may need decades of distance before getting in the mood.
    Beside, the USA, Canada, Australia, India, etc are all awaiting to strike these amazing FTA, the EU can watch.

*before you go down to the EU is bad, the EU is inflexible, the EU is a dictatorship, the EU is what members want it to be, the UK happens to think differently and can go.
    EU expat working in London
  • cogito
    cogito Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Options
    The EU is not a nation, therefore it is impossible to be an EU national.
  • always_sunny
    always_sunny Posts: 8,314 Forumite
    Options
    cogito wrote: »

Yes yes, you're one of those... yawn!
    EU expat working in London
  • gfplux
    gfplux Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Hung up my suit!
    Options
    vivatifosi wrote: »
    Curiously enough, I was about to post a link to this article. It is quite nuanced...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/aug/30/uk-tells-brussels-negotiators-their-brexit-bill-sums-do-not-add-up

Fascinating.
    Looking forward to the press conference today.
    There will be no Brexit dividend for Britain.
  • posh*spice
    posh*spice Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    Options
    The UK spent yesterday dismantling the EU's legal case over the so called Brexit bill.

http://www.politico.eu/article/brexit-talks-veer-close-to-collapse/

Barnier and co are incandescent. The story is also in the Torygraph but paywalled.

Proud to be honest. It's about time someone stood up to these unelected richards.
    Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you.
  • ukcarper
    ukcarper Posts: 17,337 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Isn't that the 'have the cake and eat it all'? Actually minus contribution too.
    Trade is some form or another will continue, I doubt there will be sanctions but it will not be as favourable as today.

Beside the money what is in for the EU?
    Why would an union offer a better proposition to a non-member than to existing members?
    Why would the EU put a crack on it knowing that the UK wants to bring down the whole EU?*
    Can you see countries like Frances, Italy, etc ratifying such deal?

As an EU national my priorities are with the EU and if that means cutting the UK lose and keep it at arm length let it be, I am willing to lose some money to keep the rest.
    (This is the same approach for UK nationals, their priorities are with the UK so would want the opposite).

You can't expect the UK and the EU to reach a deal right away, it may need decades of distance before getting in the mood.
    Beside, the USA, Canada, Australia, India, etc are all awaiting to strike these amazing FTA, the EU can watch.

*before you go down to the EU is bad, the EU is inflexible, the EU is a dictatorship, the EU is what members want it to be, the UK happens to think differently and can go.
    There you go again you still think the UK expects the same as now I don't think anybody really expects that. What on earth makes you think the UK wants the EU to fail it would not be in UKs interest. You are proving to me more blinkered than the hardened brexiters on here.
  • posh*spice
    posh*spice Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    Options

And that is the very nub of the matter. Is the EU not in fact a fedral system which is actually just the United States of Europe?

When did anyone vote for that?
    Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you.
  • A_Medium_Size_Jock
    A_Medium_Size_Jock Posts: 3,216 Forumite
    edited 31 August 2017 at 10:39AM
    Options
    gfplux wrote: »
    What sort of tone is set by.

"Go Whistle"

"A Poundland Bismarck"

I find those much more unpleasant and offensive than anything attributed to the EU side.
    Of course you do, because you flat-out refuse to accept the carp from Barnier, Verhofstadt, Tusk and (worst of all, maybe) Junckers.
    Like:

Junckers "Pfft" to May or his "riduculous" comment to his own parliament, and much more.

Tusk's "Dreamer" comment.

How about Barmier's suggestion that the UK may be more vulnerable to terrorism post-Brexit?
    Particularly nice given recent history, that one.

There is much, much more - all of which I am sure you considered before your quoted post. ;)

Oh and BTW, re: my family and friends in Europe - I don't know what petty-minded world is inhabited by the type of person who would imagine that family would fall out because of international politics but fortunately that does not apply to my own family and circle of friends.
    Some are pro EU and some - yes, even within Germany and France - are anti-EU but that does not cause rifts between family or indeed friends. Perhaps because generally people are sensible enough to compromise and/or to appreciate the POV of others, unlike some within these forums it would appear.
    The numbers opposed in some way to the EU within the EU27 BTW are well researched and documented and are significant in number; refusing to acknowledge they exist even on your own doorstep does not simply make them go away. ;)
  • A_Medium_Size_Jock
    Options
    Oh dear, the doom-and-gloom mongers aren't having an easy time of it lately are they?
    Consumer confidence here in the UK is up despite continuing attempts at "project fear" and mortgage approvals hit a 16-month high:
    UK consumer confidence edges up in August - GfK
    http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-economy-consumersentiment-idUKKCN1BA316
    Mortgage approvals for house purchases jumped to a 16-month high in July, new figures from the Bank of England released today show.
    http://www.cityam.com/271090/mortgage-approvals-jump-16-month-high-while-consumer-credit
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure