Ulster Bank: Easy Access Savings Account at 1.25% pa

Options

Comments

2010 Posts: 5,360 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 5 August 2017 at 12:57PM
    Options
    derrick wrote: »
    Also as post #235 above re Ford Flexible Saver.

Shawbrook Bank.

To me waiting 24 hours for the money is hardly a major problem.

No limitation on the number of withdrawals. No notice of withdrawal required.
    Withdrawals and deposits can be made at any time to and from your nominated account only.
    The minimum account withdrawal amount is £500. (Where a withdrawal request is received prior to 2:30pm on a working day, your funds should be received into your nominated account on the next working day.) Please see our Terms and Conditions for Personal Savings Accounts.

Ford flex is 1.12% and Shawbrook 1.20%
  • richy4
    richy4 Posts: 146 Forumite
    Options
    Highly recommend Shawbrook, applied today, account number, sort code and everything required to start saving immediately all received within minutes.

Ulster bank are a bunch of clowns! Don't bother with them!
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    LJH149 wrote: »
    Will be withdrawing my money from this account as soon as the card reader thing turns up. Seems an archaic way to run an account these days. The only way you can get your money out? And you have to request the reader? Why don't they just send it out?
    Its a big no from me.
    Seems a bit silly to me - when the card reader turns up (don't you have any other bank's reader) you'll be able to withdraw as and when you want.
    You'll have gone through the hard part, got the account open, then decide to ignore the reason you opened the account in the first place and close it all down again.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
  • daffodilly2013
    Options
    I have finally had to send a letter to close my account as it appears it will be the only way to access my own money. Opened the account after reading MSE rates for Ulster were good - moved a lump sum but when went to pay for holiday I found I could only get £250 a day out without a card and card reader which I haven't got!!

Despite the website saying it is easy access and that if you do not have a card etc, ring telephone banking and they will sort, all that means is they will tell you that you need a card/reader to get anymore than £250 per day. As a consequence I have had to borrow money from family - how embarrassing when I actually have the money but can't get my hands on it!!

Customer service assistants are rude and unhelpful and complaints are not answered. Considering my AMEX card came in two days and Metro Bank give you a card on the spot, Ulster Bank have no excuse for this slow, shoddy and archaic service.

I will be taking the matter to the financial ombudsman and Watchdog and am very surprised MSE has not picked up on this appalling service and total disregard for customers!
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ...am very surprised MSE has not picked up on this appalling service and total disregard for customers!
    From the main site best savings account article...
    We've had feedback that suggests that Ulster Bank are taking up to four weeks to send out card readers. Let us know if you have any issues.
    The link above points back to this thread.

I do think you've been a bit hasty though. I imagine the goodwill payments will be fairly decent for those who complain, persevere, and, crucially, stay with them.
  • daffodilly2013
    Options

I do think you've been a bit hasty though. I imagine the goodwill payments will be fairly decent for those who complain, persevere, and, crucially, stay with them.

The issue is not about compensation/goodwill payments!!

Rather it is about being able to access my own money when I need it. It is also about customer service and matters being dealt with speedily and appropriately, when things go wrong. It is about being honest when marketing easy access accounts.
  • 10_66
    10_66 Posts: 3,269 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ...I imagine the goodwill payments will be fairly decent for those who complain, persevere, and, crucially, stay with them.

I raised a complaint with them, and their "final reply" was that (despite not receiving the card after 31 days of requesting it) as their records show that the reader, PIN and card have been issued, they recommend that I ask Royal Mail to start an investigation into the missing card as I wasn't receiving ALL of my mail. What a supposition to make - that I'm not receiving ALL of my mail? No apology or acceptance of responsibility when they know full well they are having problems. Dismissive and ridiculous response. Cr*p company.
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Surely if you think you might need the money out quickly, you dont put lots in till you have the facility to remove it?.
  • 10_66
    10_66 Posts: 3,269 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 August 2017 at 8:03AM
    Options
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Surely if you think you might need the money out quickly, you dont put lots in till you have the facility to remove it?.

I haven't "put lots in". But I'd like to put some in and can't until I can withdraw. That's the whole purpose of the account isn't it?

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I have added further edits to the opening post to clarify issues highlighted on this thread regarding difficulties experienced with this account.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback