American Fridge-Freezers

I've had a look on the John Lewis website, and there seems to be a difference between the plumbed-in ones versus the non-plumbed-in ones.

What are the pros and cons of plumbing in as opposed to not plumbing in?

The kitchen will be ripped out anyway so there is scope to plumb in if there is an advantage to this.

Comments

• Alex1983
    Alex1983 Posts: 958 Forumite
    Plumbed in I think will have either a water cooler or ice cube maker built in
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,134 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    The plumbed in ones have cold filtered water & ice "on tap". No tank to fill & look after. Just make sure the ice maker doesn't take up too much room in the freezer, there's a huge variation.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    With the non-plumbed in ones, either there won't be a water dispenser or there will be a tank in the door that you obviously need to fill (and clean). We've had a couple like that and the tank does take up a bit of space so if you need all the space you can get, plumbed in might be better. I'd suggest going to have a look at a few, or at least looking at the inside photos online, to see whether that would be acceptable to you. With non-plumbed in, I don't think you can have a proper ice dispenser, although I have seen one with some kind of trays that you twist while they're still in the freezer to empty the ice cubes into a drawer below - not really a dispenser but probably easier than banging trays around.

Other than that, I think the main differences are that you need plumbing for a plumbed in one (!) and price. Plumbed in ones seem more expensive in general but there is considerable overlap - the most expensive non-plumbed in ones are more expensive than the cheapest plumbed in.

If you're having the kitchen redone so plumbing isn't an issue and you're not on a tight budget, I'd go for a plumbed in one with an ice dispenser. To some they may be a gadget that you use for a month then forget, but I hate luke warm drinks so I'd love one!
  • Annie1960
    Annie1960 Posts: 3,003 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    To clarify my question, I'm looking for user experiences of each type. I fully understand the obvious difference, ie that plumbed-in ones are plumbed in and the others are not!

Does anyone have a non-plumbed-in one and regret it? Or vice versa? Or is the one you have the best thing since sliced bread? Or is it just a gimmick?

I don't think the ice would be used very often if that makes a difference.
  • I had a plumbed in one, just recently moved house and didn't have room for it. Planning on refitting the kitchen in a year or so. My kitchen will be done around the freezer as I miss it so much ��. Love the ice cubes on tap.
  • Plumbed in all the way
  • ccskitten
    ccskitten Posts: 102 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have a non-plumbed in one. I must admit, I hardly ever fill the tank now. It was just a bit of a gimmick. Looking back I wish I went for the plumbed in and paid for the plumbing. I may use it a bit more often if I did. There again, I bought it at the beginning of the winter so come the summer I imagine it will be in full use again.
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    I never regretted having a non-plumbed in one (in fact we had one after the other), but that was only because plumbed in wasn't an option.

If you can plumb it in and can afford a plumbed in that you like, I think they are the better option. Both do more or less the same job (excluding ice), but plumbed in makes things easier for you and gives you more space in the fridge.
  • springdreams
    springdreams Posts: 3,623 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Car Insurance Carver! Home Insurance Hacker! Xmas Saver!
    We have a plumbed in one. It is a Samsung. The ice and chilled water on tap is wonderful and gets used frequently. I've had mine for over 10 years now.
    squeaky wrote: »
    Smiles are as perfect a gift as hugs...
    ..one size fits all... and nobody minds if you give it back.
    ☆.。.:*・° Housework is so much easier without the clutter ☆.。.:*・°
    SPC No. 518
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    I wouldn't buy a non plumbed in one - it's just a regular fridge freezer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure