The Ultimate Incentive muddles along

Options

Comments

• Dinah93
    Dinah93 Posts: 11,463 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Merry Christmas everyone, hope you had a good one. Spending a few days dejunking, organising and focusing on promoting my yoga classes for the new year. I've had to do a balance transfer as some money had come off 0%, and our overdrafts were back, so my totals may have gone up in December. However we finished the kids new bedrooms, they've moved up, and it feels like our house is twice the size. I've put my laptop in the new dining room and I feel like I'm getting a lot more done now than I did on the sofa, all our paperwork is in here too, so if i need something there is no longer the hours of hunting around the house for where the boxes are stashed in amongst the chaos.

Rough few weeks with NIMs depression, a lot of anger, a very difficult house to be in. We've had a frank talk about the impact it is having on me and our family unit, we're tentatively trying to make things work, NIM is trying to be more aware of his temper and the misery it creates, but things aren't looking great on the home front.
    Debt January 1st 2018 £96,999.81
    Debt September 20th 2022 £2991.68- 96.92% paid off
    Met NIM 23/06/2008
  • tootallulah
    tootallulah Posts: 2,197 Forumite
    Options
    So very sorry to hear that Nim's depression is causing you problems,search out and take any help you can get for both of you. It feels so endless whilst in it but eventually this too will pass.

Being tidy and organised is a great start to the New Year it does really help. Looking forward to seeing you make big progress in 2017.
  • clearmydebts
    Options
    Dinah93 wrote: »
    Merry Christmas everyone, hope you had a good one. Spending a few days dejunking, organising and focusing on promoting my yoga classes for the new year. I've had to do a balance transfer as some money had come off 0%, and our overdrafts were back, so my totals may have gone up in December. However we finished the kids new bedrooms, they've moved up, and it feels like our house is twice the size. I've put my laptop in the new dining room and I feel like I'm getting a lot more done now than I did on the sofa, all our paperwork is in here too, so if i need something there is no longer the hours of hunting around the house for where the boxes are stashed in amongst the chaos.

Rough few weeks with NIMs depression, a lot of anger, a very difficult house to be in. We've had a frank talk about the impact it is having on me and our family unit, we're tentatively trying to make things work, NIM is trying to be more aware of his temper and the misery it creates, but things aren't looking great on the home front.

Merry Christmas! Saw the room videos, they were lovely. Ben is just so adorable the way he just follows Grace!.Not good 're: NIM. Is he on meds and if they aren't working does he need a change? Is he angry with you or the kids? How is it manifesting? Are your Mam and Dad aware of it?
    Total (Aug 19):€58,567 Now:€26,947
    DFD:Nov 22/June 22
    Mortgage: €199,712
    MFD: March 2042/July 2034
  • Dinah93
    Options
    Medication but not working, the ones that have worked have come with significant side effects - think sleeping 20 hours a day and still tired, the ones that he can live with hardly work. Angry with life, just stropping, swearing, barbed comments, feel like none of us can do anything right. Mum and dad are aware of his condition, and mum is to some extent aware I'm considering leaving, but I don't want to, I want to get him back not walk away.
    Met NIM 23/06/2008
  • clearmydebts
    Options
    Medication but not working, the ones that have worked have come with significant side effects - think sleeping 20 hours a day and still tired, the ones that he can live with hardly work. Angry with life, just stropping, swearing, barbed comments, feel like none of us can do anything right. Mum and dad are aware of his condition, and mum is to some extent aware I'm considering leaving, but I don't want to, I want to get him back not walk away.

Oh my goodness didn't know it was so bad. Huge hugs from me. Sounds very volatile & not good for the kiddies. What does your Mam think? Would it do him good going home to Ireland for a few weeks? Would he consider admitting himself? Any valid reason for the anger or is it irrational?
  • Dinah93
    Options
    Luckily the kids see very little of it, he is pretty good at just going silent when needed. Mum thinks I'm right to say I'll hold out until his diagnosis psych appointment in february, maybe if he's finally diagnosed they can treat it. But I have told him where I stand when he was in a normal mood (because it isn't all the time, since I told him he's actually been calm for a few days, although the depression took over this evening and he was in bed before the kids), so at least he knows he tries to do what he can or there isn't a hope.
    Met NIM 23/06/2008
  • clearmydebts
    Options
    Luckily the kids see very little of it, he is pretty good at just going silent when needed. Mum thinks I'm right to say I'll hold out until his diagnosis psych appointment in february, maybe if he's finally diagnosed they can treat it. But I have told him where I stand when he was in a normal mood (because it isn't all the time, since I told him he's actually been calm for a few days, although the depression took over this evening and he was in bed before the kids), so at least he knows he tries to do what he can or there isn't a hope.

Ugh so stressful for you. Feb is a long time away but I can understand why you are waiting. Good that the kids don't see it, although they'll be picking up on his vibe. What does he think himself? So difficult for you. My heart goes out to you, it's no way to live
  • Dinah93
    Options
    He just wants to be well, I can see how frustrating it must be to feel so out of control, in many ways its a negative spiral, he gets angry that he can't control his anger! I feel like we're just loosing years to this black hole, our kids won't be kids forever and he's missing it. They don't miss out, my mum and I take them places, give them so many experiences, NIM has actually started to be better now he's finally realized getting out of the house also often means getting out of his head, but you can't always be out doing fun stuff, you need to be in control when you're doing mundane day to day crap too.

And in other, money news, the company we've hired a car off for January has gone into administration. Thankfully booked it on a credit card just in case, but now need to work out how to get the money back.
    Met NIM 23/06/2008
  • clearmydebts
    Options
    Depression is just horrible and people do lose stages but fingers crossed Feb will bring answers and ye can move forward. Kids are so resilient and yours seem so happy in photos/videos. Make sure you're taking care of yourself as well and don't be afraid to vent on here xx
  • Dinah93
    Options
    They are happy, if they were really struggling I would have them gone in a heartbeat. They get upset sometimes because daddy's parenting style is stricter than mine, but I don't think that's a depression/anger thing so much as it is a difference in personality. I'm a lot more huggy and new age than he is. It's only really me and him that struggle but trying very hard to get through it with our family intact, since that is what we both want.

Going out for the day tomorrow with my best friend, her daughters (my two children's best friends very helpfully) and her husband, end the year on a high. We do a lot as a 6, and NIM even meets my friend and her kids at soft play sometimes when I'm working and she suggests a meetup, she has significant depression and anxiety too so it's good for them to talk. This will be the first time the husbands have come and we've been an 8. Hopefully it'll go well, we all seem to get on and more hands are always better with 4 under 5s!

Should really go to bed but it is very addictive seeing all the emails come through for bookings onto my courses. I've had two requests today for a daytime session, I just need to work out if it's viable and also which days I will have Ben in nursery today.

Managed to ruin Ben's life today. Took him for new shoes. Wouldn't let him buy the 'tebby bear slippas - look so cute!' because 1 - they're not outdoor shoes and 2 - they were only available in a size 2 and he's a 5.5. He threw himself under the shoe racks and sobbed. While clutching two slippers and kissing them.

Dad called this morning, he's stepping back from Etsy as he has too much on his plate. So I'm buying a mug press and subli printer off him (for a staggering £20 for a £400 press), he will keep doing the flat bed press items for now (baby vests, tshirts etc) and when we've saved up a few more pennies he'll buy a bigger flatbed and sell me this one, so I'll have a full little sublimation set-up going here. Oh and Amazon have suggested I join their free self publishing programme to get my book made into a real book. May need to finally write the sequel since I've had emails off complete strangers (scary that they can find me?!) asking for it! Feels like self-employment is finally starting to come together.
    Met NIM 23/06/2008
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family