Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 8th Mar 15, 11:07 PM
    • 6,066Posts
    • 32,095Thanks
    AlexLK
    Renovations and Repayments.
    • 8th Mar 15, 11:07 PM
    Renovations and Repayments. 8th Mar 15 at 11:07 PM
    Hello and welcome to visitors familiar with my journey thus far and are surprised to see me on such a sensible board and a further warm welcome to the new faces wondering what they've let themselves in for.

Let me begin by clarifying a few points: the first one is I am not sure whether I'm actually serious or not about clearing my mortgage and the second is the fact my house needs quite a bit of work doing to it. This work I do myself and in the time my wife and I have lived in the house we've learnt all kinds of new skills. The current project involves renewing the windows and I am making the frames myself, two are done and I'm pleased to say look great.

I plan to use this mortgage free (how very grown up) diary to document the renovations and my savings activities, out of which overpayments may or may not be made. However, I am fully committed to long term saving and making as much money as possible. A long term goal of mine is to add to the BTL portfolio I shall one day inherit and am already becoming more involved in which is perhaps a good reason to pay my mortgage off and make my current property into an investment.

Aside from the recent interest in moneysaving I have a four year old son, run my own company, play and teach the violin and piano whilst studying for my own interest. Oh and don't mention the cars.

Those familiar with my debt-free diary will know I'm not exactly great at record keeping but am trying to improve, so please don't expect the detailed financial updates others seem to put on here. To kick things off, I suppose I ought to confess the mortgage debt is a total of circa 185,000 and I have no real timescale or plan in mind to pay it off.

Sorry if this is not a particularly articulate introduction, as I seem to be at a loss how to tailor it to both those who've read my debt free diary and to new readers frequenting mortgage free.
    2018 totals:
    Savings 7,600
    Mortgage Overpayments 1,750
Page 171
    • kelpie35
    • By kelpie35 2nd Dec 17, 8:53 PM
    • 1,551 Posts
    • 5,019 Thanks
    kelpie35
    I am so pleased your son appreciates all the effort you went to make it so lovely and exciting for him .

The longer you can have him believing in all the wonderment the better, because when they don't get excited anymore it does not feel the same.

Hope you are having a relaxing weekend.

Take care.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 3rd Dec 17, 3:24 AM
    • 7,406 Posts
    • 5,486 Thanks
    -taff
    So, I'm posting late again... Realise I need to respond to everyone and will try to tomorrow but it is getting a little late tonight and I'm heading to bed soon.
    Originally posted by AlexLK
    You don't have to respond to every post made you know, it's not school

Yesterday she said she's proud of me for recognising the teaching wasn't working and acting accordingly. I was expecting her to berate me for not carrying on with it. In a strange way what happened last year / start of this has been the best thing to happen to our marriage even though at the time I thought it was over. .
    Adversity can result in stronger foundations I'd imagine also that you [both] didn't have to go to your parents for help, so that was a plus point in that that pointed towards your independence and non-reliance on them.

Happy future advent.
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 3rd Dec 17, 3:57 AM
    • 1,603 Posts
    • 2,108 Thanks
    badmemory
    Certainly no need to respond to me Alex. I only wanted to show that you aren't the only person that teaching could "damage" & that you stopping was to miniK's benefit, which you were beginning to see yourself. Good luck with your new ventures. Are you planning on continuing your music lessons?
    • Watty1
    • By Watty1 3rd Dec 17, 9:30 PM
    • 2,989 Posts
    • 21,286 Thanks
    Watty1
    So glad the elf popped in and put up the decorations. That was so helpful of elf ....
    Mortgage at start of diary Sept 2013: 132,995 Aug 2015 0
    Overpaid next mortgage. 79,491 down to 27152
    Changing focus for now
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 10th Dec 17, 6:59 PM
    • 6,066 Posts
    • 32,095 Thanks
    AlexLK
    Well, this week has flown by quickly and has confirmed I made the right decision (got to happen at some point in my life ). Not bought too much this week and have scheduled a date with Mrs. K. to get some Christmas gifts for our son. More organised than usual this year. Have been thinking a lot about what happened last year which isn't helpful.

Advent targets went awry; completed the ones from last week but never made any others.

Not doing so well on the moneysaving front, hope to start afresh with this in 2018 though.
    2018 totals:
    Savings 7,600
    • kelpie35
    • By kelpie35 10th Dec 17, 7:04 PM
    • 1,551 Posts
    • 5,019 Thanks
    kelpie35
    So pleased to hear you are doing well on the health front.

You sound so "upbeat" and that is lovely to hear.

Sometimes we need to take a step back on the financial front and make plans for the future.

Looking forward to hearing your goals for next year and I will be here to cheer you on.
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 10th Dec 17, 7:12 PM
    • 6,269 Posts
    • 43,310 Thanks
    newgirly
    Glad things are ok for you Alex, here's to great new plans fo next year
    MFW 21
    Target for 2018 40k/11,092 paid so far

Mortgage 38,275 4yrs 1mth left. Total owed 50,898 plan to clear in 14 months
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 10th Dec 17, 11:07 PM
    • 6,066 Posts
    • 32,095 Thanks
    AlexLK
    Thank you NG and kelpie.

I'm doing OK and going to bed at a reasonable time, so think I should try to find time in the morning to catch up on here as I would like to keep the diary going (or may start a new one) and catch up with others too. Managed to have an AF week which has helped.

Really pleased to have secured the job I have and a lot on the work front to look forward to in the coming year (my business and employed work). So far as the monthly income is concerned, that's looking much better than in a very long time. However, I don't want us to waste that opportunity.

Advent targets:
    Monday 11th - sort diary to new year.
    Tuesday 12th - take my father out to lunch (I'm taking him for a hospital appointment in the morning).
    Wednesday 13th - set up January records for finances.
    Thursday 14th - Loose ends tied up ready for a three day weekend and work to do list ready for Monday.
    Friday 15th - day out with Mrs K and a long weekend as we are not working. Hardly ever spend any time together as a couple. Really looking forward to it.
    2018 totals:
    Savings 7,600
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 19th Dec 17, 12:32 PM
    • 6,066 Posts
    • 32,095 Thanks
    AlexLK
    Managed to achieve my advent targets from last week and had a great weekend.

I think I am going to stop posting in this diary at the end of the year. Things are looking more positive than they ever have done during my adult life (not just financially). However, I want to start a new diary because this one has been ongoing for a while and also I don't want to waste my finances - posting on here does keep me (more or less) on track.

I don't have any financial targets until the end of the year apart from any money received over Christmas to kick-start 2018 savings.
    2018 totals:
    Savings 7,600
    • kelpie35
    • By kelpie35 19th Dec 17, 1:43 PM
    • 1,551 Posts
    • 5,019 Thanks
    kelpie35
    Please keep us informed of your new thread as I enjoy seeing how you are getting on.

Happy Christmas and a Prosperous New Year
    • CathT
    • By CathT 19th Dec 17, 8:51 PM
    • 5,543 Posts
    • 38,648 Thanks
    CathT
    Starting a new diary due to progress is really positive. It sounds like you are in a different place in so many ways compared to when you started your diary.

Will keep an eye out for your new diary.
    May 2018 -
    part 1 - 77,906
    part 2 - 45,391
    Total - 123,297
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 19th Dec 17, 8:57 PM
    • 6,066 Posts
    • 32,095 Thanks
    AlexLK
    Thank you, Kelpie.

Well, after saying I had no financial goals for the end of the year and owing to a very quiet evening I've discovered a good template on Excel for budgeting. Covers absolutely everything (and then some). Worth searching for templates if you can't work out how to create all singing, all dancing spreadsheets yourself.

I've also plans to review our diet for the coming year and stop going to my parents' for dinner (ongoing for a few months now), drinking far too much wine and staying over. We've spent more time there than here which might be why I seem to have no time to do anything. I think I need to start cooking again.

Advent targets for the coming month ....
    20th Dec. - Finish Christmas shopping / lunch with in-laws.
    21st Dec. - Start filling 2018 diary - sync with 'phone diary.
    22nd Dec. - Avoid going anywhere near civilisation.
    23rd Dec. - Baking with wife and son.
    24th Dec. - Wrap presents, remember to put a carrot out for the reindeer and a generous measure of Scotch for Father Christmas. Put carrot back in kitchen, drink the Scotch.
    25th Dec. - Eat, drink and be merry.
    26th Dec. - More of the same.
    27th Dec. - Recover.
    28th Dec. - 37 today... eat, drink...
    29th Dec. - Complete Dec. spreadsheet.
    30th Dec. - Make plans for January if not done so.
    31st Dec. - Eat, drink... there's a theme here.
    1st Jan. - More of the same...
    2nd Jan. - Give up drinking.
    2018 totals:
    Savings 7,600
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 19th Dec 17, 9:02 PM
    • 6,066 Posts
    • 32,095 Thanks
    AlexLK
    Starting a new diary due to progress is really positive. It sounds like you are in a different place in so many ways compared to when you started your diary.

Will keep an eye out for your new diary.
    Originally posted by CathT
    Thanks, Cath.

I will post a link when I start it.

I am fortunately in a very different place. Perhaps enough of a different place to finally grow up a little and start saving / overpaying properly, though perhaps childish enough to just save enough to buy myself a '70s AMV8.
    2018 totals:
    Savings 7,600
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 19th Dec 17, 9:53 PM
    • 6,269 Posts
    • 43,310 Thanks
    newgirly
    Blimey Alex, you have some seriously lazy days planned there it takes one to know one, I too have high expectations to relax, eat, drink and plan when I won't relax, eat and drink in the new year
    MFW 21

• AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 20th Dec 17, 2:27 PM
    • 6,066 Posts
    • 32,095 Thanks
    AlexLK
    Christmas shopping almost finished. Had an early lunch with son and in-laws. Father-in-law said we should go to their place for Christmas day next year. We're going on Boxing day evening for dinner, it's never enough for them though and they don't want to spend Christmas with my parents.

I think you're right, NG. I'm rather looking forward to the Christmas break this year and don't want to do much at all. I'm cooking lunch on Christmas day, staying in what seems to have become our part of the house, cooking a less substantial lunch on Boxing day before going out in LRs then going to the in-laws. Mrs K has arranged for us to stay over that evening though my parents aren't pleased about my son or I staying. I'm sure it'll be fine. If not I'll likely be too drunk to care.
    2018 totals:
    Savings 7,600
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 20th Dec 17, 2:28 PM
    • 2,664 Posts
    • 7,136 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Christmas shopping almost finished. Had an early lunch with son and in-laws. Father-in-law said we should go to their place for Christmas day next year. We're going on Boxing day evening for dinner, it's never enough for them though and they don't want to spend Christmas with my parents.
    Have you and your wife ever spent Christmas Day with them in all the years you've been together?
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 20th Dec 17, 3:19 PM
    • 6,269 Posts
    • 43,310 Thanks
    newgirly
    Have I misread your last post Alex where it says your parents are not happy about you and your son staying at your inlaws boxing night?!

What on earth does it have to do with them and how selfish when you are with them Xmas day, I'm shocked if this seems normal to you.
    MFW 21

• AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 20th Dec 17, 3:52 PM
    • 6,066 Posts
    • 32,095 Thanks
    AlexLK
    Have you and your wife ever spent Christmas Day with them in all the years you've been together?
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel
    We used to visit them Christmas day evening for supper but they live in a different county.

Have I misread your last post Alex where it says your parents are not happy about you and your son staying at your inlaws boxing night?!

What on earth does it have to do with them and how selfish when you are with them Xmas day, I'm shocked if this seems normal to you.
    Originally posted by newgirly
    You haven't misread it. My mother isn't happy with the idea of us staying there for no other reason than we're staying with the in-laws in their property and father isn't happy because he wanted us to be with them from Christmas eve to 2nd January. He's convinced himself he won't live to see another Christmas / year - I don't think that's the case but he is now living on this presumption. This leads mother to her "how dare you be so disrespectful...", "the amount of money we've spent on you..." and "...must be the influence of Mrs. K.('s family)" rants because I apparently "don't care" and "won't be there to look after them" now they are getting older.
    2018 totals:
    Savings 7,600
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 20th Dec 17, 7:05 PM
    • 29,180 Posts
    • 166,579 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Good grief, Alex, the **rants** you put up with! I've never had to do that, but I've had my share of hassle in other ways, and Captain Awkward changed my life, very much for the better.

Live Long And Prosper, Alex, Mrs K and your son
    Retired August 2016
    • Debsnewbudget
    • By Debsnewbudget 20th Dec 17, 7:43 PM
    • 259 Posts
    • 2,440 Thanks
    Debsnewbudget
    Stay strong Alex
    You had moved away from the parental expectations ..... Do not go back there
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

815Posts Today

6,264Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin