Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • macaroni
    • By macaroni 30th Sep 14, 9:19 PM
    • 438 Posts
    • 271 Thanks
    macaroni
    • 30th Sep 14, 9:19 PM
    • 30th Sep 14, 9:19 PM
    YES, or just all buy your own drinks anyway.....someone always looses out when rounds are bought (Im generally that person) and not everyone drinks at the same speed!
    • paragon909
    • By paragon909 30th Sep 14, 9:24 PM
    • 1,389 Posts
    • 1,394 Thanks
    paragon909
    • 30th Sep 14, 9:24 PM
    • 30th Sep 14, 9:24 PM
    All my friends drink beer, and I drink vodka.

And i find it isn't that more expensive actually. A pint of tenants is like 3 odd anyway and a vodka depending where you go can be like 3.5

If your paying more than 4 for a vodka and mix then i suggest going to a cheaper place :P
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 30th Sep 14, 9:29 PM
    • 22,973 Posts
    • 57,594 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    • 30th Sep 14, 9:29 PM
    • 30th Sep 14, 9:29 PM
    Is he insisting on obscure named whisky or vodka, rather than generic? I'd just get him the cheapest variety, and then deny all knowledge
    Mrs Marleyboy

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 30th Sep 14, 9:33 PM
    • 64,927 Posts
    • 381,119 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 30th Sep 14, 9:33 PM
    • 30th Sep 14, 9:33 PM
    This is the trouble with rounds and splitting the bill - there's always one greedy piggy. All buy your own drinks, I bet he won't drink as much once he's paying his way instead of poncing off you lot.
    • Vejovis
    • By Vejovis 30th Sep 14, 9:36 PM
    • 15,385 Posts
    • 34,181 Thanks
    Vejovis
    • 30th Sep 14, 9:36 PM
    • 30th Sep 14, 9:36 PM
    The last couple of times I've gone out, spirits have been cheaper than beer.

That said, you can't be very good friends if you begrudge him a few drinks.
    Birthdays are good for you. Statistics show that the people who have the most live the longest.
    Larry Lorenzoni
    • Miski
    • By Miski 30th Sep 14, 9:44 PM
    • 3,963 Posts
    • 8,007 Thanks
    Miski
    • 30th Sep 14, 9:44 PM
    • 30th Sep 14, 9:44 PM
    Round system.

The second option is you all buy your own drinks. Depending on the brand, I've seen spirits cheaper than nice ale/beer.
    • BarryBlue
    • By BarryBlue 30th Sep 14, 10:16 PM
    • 3,406 Posts
    • 11,334 Thanks
    BarryBlue
    • 30th Sep 14, 10:16 PM
    • 30th Sep 14, 10:16 PM
    Let's get this right. Blokes go to the pub and buy rounds. It's what we do. Then when we go to the curry house and split the bill no matter what. Nobody abuses the system or they shouldn't be invited back.

Everybody buying their own is what women do. Getting their phone calculator out to work out a restaurant bill down to the last penny is what they do too.

Is anyone else bothered? If not, put up with it or don't go. (This is all from a bloke's perspective, of course.)
    We're gonna be alright, dancin' on a Saturday night
    • warehouse
    • By warehouse 30th Sep 14, 10:18 PM
    • 3,123 Posts
    • 5,839 Thanks
    warehouse
    • 30th Sep 14, 10:18 PM
    • 30th Sep 14, 10:18 PM
    Nobody abuses the system or they shouldn't be invited back.
    Originally posted by BarryBlue
    This exactly. Someone appears to be abusing the man rules. You need to act.
    Pants
    • Nada666
    • By Nada666 30th Sep 14, 10:19 PM
    • 4,868 Posts
    • 3,886 Thanks
    Nada666
    It isn't complicated.

Does he drink the same when it is his turn to buy the drinks? If yes swallow it down and pay up. If not tell him where to go.
    • dave4545454
    • By dave4545454 30th Sep 14, 10:25 PM
    • 1,839 Posts
    • 2,580 Thanks
    dave4545454
    I regularly meet up with a group of friends in the pub to watch the football. While most of us drink beer and wine, one of our group drinks expensive spirits, which makes the cost of our rounds skyrocket. Should we ask him to buy his own?
    Originally posted by MSE Joanne
    A lady who likes footy?
    Marry me!!!
    Martin has asked me to tell you I'm about to cut the cheese, pull my finger.
  • wiogs
    Let's get this right. Blokes go to the pub and buy rounds. It's what wie do. Then when we go to the curry house and split the bill no matter what. Nobody abuses the system or they shouldn't be invited back.

Everybody buying their own is what women do. Getting their phone calculator out to work out a restaurant bill down to the last penny is what they do too.

Is anyone else bothered? If not, put up with it or don't go. (This is all from a bloke's perspective, of course.)
    Originally posted by BarryBlue
    How wonderfully last century.
    • quidsinquentin
    • By quidsinquentin 30th Sep 14, 11:15 PM
    • 40,262 Posts
    • 82,308 Thanks
    quidsinquentin
    I regularly meet up with a group of friends in the pub to watch the football. While most of us drink beer and wine, one of our group drinks expensive spirits, which makes the cost of our rounds skyrocket. Should we ask him to buy his own?
    No.

Tell him to buy his own.
    The atmosphere is currently filled with hypocrisy so thick that it could be sliced, wrapped, and sold in supermarkets for a decent price and labeled, 'Wholegrain Left-Wing, Middle-Class, Politically-Correct Organic Hypocrisy'.
    • SailorSam
    • By SailorSam 30th Sep 14, 11:22 PM
    • 21,173 Posts
    • 36,772 Thanks
    SailorSam
    I always lost out when we bought rounds 'cos i was always the driver and had so little to drink,
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
    • Conrad
    • By Conrad 30th Sep 14, 11:25 PM
    • 31,494 Posts
    • 55,821 Thanks
    Conrad
    No, I would say all share and not be so damned money centric. I find over the years such things all come out in the wash. Keeping a mental balance sheet is not on.
    • Coopdivi
    • By Coopdivi 1st Oct 14, 12:32 AM
    • 3,183 Posts
    • 2,846 Thanks
    Coopdivi
    You don't though do you because this is one of those daft theoretical questions from the weekly email.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/latesttip/

Here's next week's made up bollix: I've just found out my best mate is a scrounger. Should I respect our friendship and understand that unemployment can happen to anyone or would it be better to gleefully announce it on an internet messageboard populated by curmudgeonly halfwits who will dam my ex-friend to hell and recommend suicide?
    • BarryBlue
    • By BarryBlue 1st Oct 14, 12:40 AM
    • 3,406 Posts
    • 11,334 Thanks
    BarryBlue
    How wonderfully last century.
    Originally posted by wiogs
    Yet, conversely, how wonderfully accurate. Because most of us were born and reared in that last century when things like this were done properly.

No, I would say all share and not be so damned money centric. I find over the years such things all come out in the wash. Keeping a mental balance sheet is not on.
    Originally posted by Conrad
    Quite so. As I said, it's a bloke thing. Women just don't get bloke things, just like blokes don't get women things, like the need to shop for shoes instead of watching sport on TV.
    We're gonna be alright, dancin' on a Saturday night
    • rachiibell
    • By rachiibell 1st Oct 14, 1:00 AM
    • 293 Posts
    • 565 Thanks
    rachiibell
    If you personally object to it just say at the start of the night you're not going to be going in on the rounds cos you're not drinking much/ not sure how long you're gonna stay/ ect.
    See if it makes your night considerably cheaper.
    If it doesn't go back to doing rounds.
    If it does then you have a decision to make. What's more important to you.. friendship? Saving money? Not looking like a cheapskate?

Under no circumstance should you all turn round and say we've all been talking and we want you to buy your own drinks from now on. Not very friendly is it.
    • oldtrout
    • By oldtrout 1st Oct 14, 2:38 AM
    • 129 Posts
    • 176 Thanks
    oldtrout
    Aha! Back to the old stupid MMDs. Not even labelled as 'hypothetical' any more.

Would anyone really ask for this sort of advice on a national forum? No, you would SPEAK TO YOUR FRIENDS!!
    • Muttleythefrog
    • By Muttleythefrog 1st Oct 14, 2:58 AM
    • 13,383 Posts
    • 25,529 Thanks
    Muttleythefrog
    I don't really venture from Discussion time.. but I've now seen in very rare extra curricular navigation 3 bizarre question from relatively new MSE staff. I assume this one like the other two is a joke... a nonsense... no adult that I have ever met would ask the question... I'm sorry... but it seems to me new staff think they need to encourage discussion by asking silly moral questions that have obvious correct answers? Ban me if I'm wrong... this is a joke. Just effing talking to people..... it's called communication... if you can't communicate with friends.. see a shrink. My deepest apologies Joanne if this is a genuine question you ask... but I'm 40 years old... and I find it bloody odd.
    Last edited by Muttleythefrog; 01-10-2014 at 3:00 AM.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,550Posts Today

8,321Users online

Martin's Twitter