Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 27th Feb 07, 12:01 PM
    • 8,111Posts
    • 42,248Thanks
    MSE Martin
    Vodafone starts charging customers for browsing Live!
    • 27th Feb 07, 12:01 PM
    Vodafone starts charging customers for browsing Live! 27th Feb 07 at 12:01 PM
    What are Vodafone planning?

Vodafone Live! is the starting point for going on the internet on a Vodafone phone. Until now, it's been free to browse for information such as news stories and weather reports, only paying for premium content clearly pre-fixed by a '£' sign.

However, now Vodafone's decided to move the goalposts and charge its customers the same for browsing Live! as they would for browsing any other mobile website as of 1 June.

The Details

Current charges:
    • £2.35 per MB of browsing
    • Vodafone Live! is free to browse unless marked with £ sign
    Charges as 1 June 07:
    • £1 for the first 0.5MB in any calendar day then free up to 15 MB that day
    • £2 per MB for anything over 15 MB
    • 5 pages of browsing - 25p
    The £1 charge per day won't include VoIP or peer to peer software; this will be charged separately.

Will anything still be free?

Vodafone live! homepage, the landing page of the four navigation tabs and all of My Account will remain free; not a great deal of use for browsing but if you find yourself accidentally connected to the web, it won’t cost you.

Who's it good for? Who's it bad for?

If, like most customers, you only ever browsed the odd page for weather updates and news reports this is going to rocket your bill. From the 1 June if you browse 5 pages per day this will cost you 25p; £7.50 over the course of the month.

Yet if you were often using non Vodafone Live! pages then these changes will significantly lighten the load on your pocket, as use less than 15 MB per day from June and it will cost you £1, whereas now that costs around £35.

Still overall my guess is this will be a profitable move for Vodafone.

Related Articles: Mobile Phone Cost Cutting

Last edited by MSE Archna; 02-05-2007 at 11:10 AM.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 1
  • scaldyflash
    • 20th Apr 07, 10:50 AM
    Vodafone new internet charges
    • 20th Apr 07, 10:50 AM
    I recently got a a text from Vodafone telling me that from 1st June they are going to start charging for anyone leaving the Vodafone home page whilst browsing on their mobile. They are dressing it up as though they are doing their customers a favour. I check the news maybe a couple of times a day which is now free but from 1st June it will cost me about 30 per month if I continue to do this. I'm furious, I took out a contract with them on the understanding that I would be able to access the internet free now they are saying that I have to pay for it.

I wrote to them and they basically said if you don't like it then pay the leaving fee and leave (About 280) and they said the same when I called them, had a really snotty kid tell me that if I didn't like it then tough !

They are pathetic, I'll never use them again. They have obviously just got too big for their boots.

Education is compulsory, school is not.
    Education Otherwise
  • scaldyflash
    • 20th Apr 07, 3:36 PM
    • 20th Apr 07, 3:36 PM
    Sorry I forgot to ask, does anyone have the name and direct email address for the Vodafone Managing Director in the UK?

Ta
    Education Otherwise
    • newlywed
    • By newlywed 20th Apr 07, 3:39 PM
    • 7,473 Posts
    • 24,341 Thanks
    newlywed
    • 20th Apr 07, 3:39 PM
    • 20th Apr 07, 3:39 PM
    I haven't had any information from them as yet and I use the internet from my mobile regularly.
    Grocery Challenge August = 300 hopefully!
    DMP support thread (member #32)

• scaldyflash
    • 20th Apr 07, 4:53 PM
    • 20th Apr 07, 4:53 PM
    I haven't had any information from them as yet and I use the internet from my mobile regularly.
    Originally posted by newlywed

Take a look here.

Looks like they are sneaking it in with a minimum fuss in the hope that most people won't realise till it's too late and they have run up their bills.
    Education Otherwise
  • toasterman
    • 20th Apr 07, 4:56 PM
    • 20th Apr 07, 4:56 PM
    I haven't had any notice of that yet, but I hope they don't enforce this too quick if it's true. I use the mobile version of gmail a few times a day, plus the mobile edition of bbc news maybe once a day.

Sounds like it could cost me a bit extra.

It might explain why T-mobile have recently started loads of adverts saying that now you can surf "the whole internet", and that they don't limit you to just their pages.
    At the time I didn't think much of it as I can do that now.
    • pompeyrich
    • By pompeyrich 20th Apr 07, 5:36 PM
    • 3,064 Posts
    • 3,087 Thanks
    pompeyrich
    • 20th Apr 07, 5:36 PM
    • 20th Apr 07, 5:36 PM
    They sent me the text back in March, probably hoping I would forget by the time they bring the charges in. They have been chipping away at the internet for a while, you used to be able to access train times, road problems etc. for free, then it was 1:50 a month for each, now this, soon be out of contract and looking for better deal, T-Mobile perhaps
  • scaldyflash
    • 20th Apr 07, 5:38 PM
    • 20th Apr 07, 5:38 PM
    I haven't had any notice of that yet, but I hope they don't enforce this too quick if it's true. I use the mobile version of gmail a few times a day, plus the mobile edition of bbc news maybe once a day.

Sounds like it could cost me a bit extra.

It might explain why T-mobile have recently started loads of adverts saying that now you can surf "the whole internet", and that they don't limit you to just their pages.
    At the time I didn't think much of it as I can do that now.
    Originally posted by toasterman
    According to the new T&Cs one can look at up to 5 mobile internet pages for 25p. Even if I were to just go to the news pages like I do and nothing else I would still end up paying about £14 a month extra. If I looked at more which I mostly do then I would be in for at least £20 to £30 a month on top of my normal bill. Looks like it will be a huge money spinner for Vodafone. I intend to write to the MD and express my disgust and also try my best to get my contract cancelled without paying a ridiculous fee which I shouldn't have to pay because they are the ones changing the contract.
    Education Otherwise
  • toasterman
    • 21st Apr 07, 9:17 AM
    • 21st Apr 07, 9:17 AM
    That is disgusting.
    They already have pretty much the highest per-mb data charges of any network, and now they're charging a 5p connection charge for GPRS (isn't it meant to be always connected..and you only pay for what you use? thats how they sold it to us back when it came in).

I never seem to get charged for GPRS each month. I possibly have a small allowance of 2-3mb. I'm assuming they're going to honour this after the new price-hike. I certainly don't pay for an extra pack.

Can you believe all that cr4p about now being able to access "much more of the whole Internet"? I could before.. have been able to for ages. They're just charging me more for what I already had.

I'm in a contract with them til 30th December, but I'm gonna be looking around at other networks, Vodafone

Edit: in fact.. I could get another phone. I've got one for work, one payg for my sat nav on another phone, plus my personal vodafone one.....I guess I could get a payg o2 or t-mobile for my data. It wouldn't cost me the £7.50 a month extra that their 25p-a-day example works out at.
    Last edited by toasterman; 21-04-2007 at 9:23 AM.
    • MercilessKiller
    • By MercilessKiller 21st Apr 07, 9:39 AM
    • 6,911 Posts
    • 6,343 Thanks
    MercilessKiller
    quote: there will be a charge for browsing Vodafone live!

Hmmmmm thats disgusting from vodafone. I check vodafone news and sports daily too and in fact they used it as a selling point. So how can they change that while I'm mid contract? In theory they could just change anything they wanted such as my free mins or texts?!?!?!?!?!?!

Fkin disgraceful
  • scaldyflash
    quote: there will be a charge for browsing Vodafone live!

Hmmmmm thats disgusting from vodafone. I check vodafone news and sports daily too and in fact they used it as a selling point. So how can they change that while I'm mid contract? In theory they could just change anything they wanted such as my free mins or texts?!?!?!?!?!?!

Fkin disgraceful
    Originally posted by MercilessKiller
    Absolutely; I think it's imperative that we get this message to as many people as is possible. Like I said Vodafone sent out an inconspicuous text to customers vaguely mentioning changes to roaming but putting a positive spin on it so most people probably ignored it (I nearly did) I reckon they will make millions before people realise that they are being ripped off by Vodafone yet again
    Education Otherwise
  • scaldyflash
    Just bumping this one up because it is important.
    Education Otherwise
  • scaldyflash
    Just bumping this one up because it is important.
    Originally posted by scaldyflash
    And again... Sorry :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    Education Otherwise
  • Dom9171
    I wrote to Vodafone about this a week ago. Having had no responce today I sent the same letter via email. I had a number of complaints.

1. They have re-debited my account with £30. The £30 was a 'goodwill' payment given to me last month due to them getting the delivery of the phone wrong twice. Having given it me it seems when they think my back is turned they can stick it back on again.

2. The new charges for Vodafonelive.

3. Not calling me back to discuss both the above after saying they would.

4. Not advising me I lost my rollover minutes when I upgraded recently. I was told no such thing in fact I was advised I was on the same deal.

My main concern is the new charges. I am fairly confident they will ultimately have to release me from my current contract if I push hard enough. Will keep you informed
  • ajbaker
    Thankfully I am not affected by this. Whilst pricing remains so high I absolutely refuse to browse the providers web pages or the rest of the internet - for that reason a simple call plan does me fine.

However I thoroughly agree with everyone here - these changes are incredible. What makes it worse is that they are still advertising free access to Vodafone Live on the rest of their site

The prices are not clear at all. Browsing 5 'made-for-mobile' pages costs 25p. That must be about 2p/kilobyte. That's 4 x more expensive than Virgin which I thought were the most costly. Anything over 50k (upto 15mb) in one day will cost you 1. That equates to 30 for accessing 1.5mb over the period of a month. Insane.
  • ajbaker
    These changes in availability of service must be sufficient for anyone to terminate their contract early as allowed by the terms and conditions. What was now free is now being charged for, increasing your bills by well over 6% which is quite a common limit in T&Cs.

Out of interest, how much did access to the internet cost before these changes?
  • ajbaker
    A further thought: doesn't this make browsing more expensive on a contract phone than on PAYG??

PAYG web access is charged at 7.50/mb per month. If you browse 2mb in a month thats 15. Assuming 68k browsing per day on a contract phone, that equates to 1 per day or 30/month. Twice the price of PAYG....
  • scaldyflash
    These changes in availability of service must be sufficient for anyone to terminate their contract early as allowed by the terms and conditions. What was now free is now being charged for, increasing your bills by well over 6% which is quite a common limit in T&Cs.

Out of interest, how much did access to the internet cost before these changes?
    Originally posted by ajbaker
    Browsing on most sites was free and was certainly free up to 15mb per month (I think) Anyway I have been with VF for almost two years (recently re-signed up for 12 months) and have never paid anything for roaming. However I will now from June have to pay up to 30 per month just to check the news, weather and a bit of sport results daily. Scandalous.

I have written to the Managing Director expressing my disgust but as yet have not received a reply. (No surprise there really !)
    Education Otherwise
  • toasterman
    Its very sketchy.

Something else thats sketchy - when I had my Panasonic GD87 - I had one and my mate had one. He got his about a month before mine - both from Vodafone.
    They'd both been modified by Vodafone - but had slightly different menus. When you went browsing the web, his had a counter that told you when online how many kb's you had used. On mine, they'd removed the counter so I had no idea what I was being charged.

I've never paid for data on Vodafone I don't think (except mms messages, etc) - the 3-4mb allowance per month covers me for everything I need.

The costs don't add up tho for anything data related.
    Text message - 10p (200bytes maybe.. of data?)
    MMS picture message of say 35k (~175times the size) is like 36p.
    Yet if 1mb of data is charged at 7.50 (which is ridiculously expensive), then a picture message should only be 26p.

Needless to say as Vodafone's call reception has been a little sketchy around my area of late (no signal reported in Clifton Village and Farrington Gurney - at least 3 bars on my work Orange phone at the same time), I'll be off their network as soon as possible.
    Vodafone must be by far the most expensive network for data now.
  • PeterPiper007
    I must absolutely agree, Vodafone's customer service skills are an absolute joke. What was once considered an excellent company has now become an arrogant and totally inept one.

The mere fact that these charges have been introduced as a 'benefit' to customers:

Good news – for the first time, we’re about to bring you everything you love about the Internet, wherever you want it, on your mobile phone."
    by vodafone
    ...please how condescending!

But the icing on the cake must be:

The £1 per day charge and monthly data subscription cannot be used for Voice Over IP services such as Skype, or Peer-to-Peer communication services such as instant messaging or file sharing. These services are charged separately at £2 per MB, with a 5p minimum charge for each data session.
    by vodafone
    Instead of embracing WiFi they are trying to dissuade customers from using it by charging extreme prices.

There is a huge gap in the market for any large broadband provider to step-up to the plate and start providing VoIP on phones via WiFi networks around the UK. Moreover, customers would love it if they just had to pay one fee per month for broadband access on their mobiles and home PCs.

GSM is old technology and the current network providers need to face facts.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,310Posts Today

7,749Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @laurawithers84: @MartinSLewis Our school is going to use your book for our new finance fortnight for year 8 students. We thought we wou?

• RT @katiejane13uk: ????????IMPORTANT - CALLING ALL LEASEHOLDERS TO COMPLETE???????? @mhclg Leasehold Reform Consultation closes this month. This is the?

• Just sent a text about postgrad loans. My Swype text auto-corrected it to pothead loans. Does it know something I don't?

• Follow Martin