Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Valli
    • By Valli 9th Aug 10, 2:52 PM
    • 20,711Posts
    • 235,162Thanks
    Valli
    Hand-me-downs - for adults?
    • 9th Aug 10, 2:52 PM
    Hand-me-downs - for adults? 9th Aug 10 at 2:52 PM
    When my kids were younger I used to get given clothes for them which I always appreciated - in fact DD still gets a few garments from her older cousins.

But hand-me-downs for adults?

Last week I was gifted 4 pairs of sandals from my mum's friend (I'm the only one with the same size feet as her; mum and sisters all have dinky feet LOL) including a pair of Fly-Flots (like slippers they are - just what I need for my hols for sightseeing) and a pair of sandals that will be PERFECT with the outfit I bought (on sale) for my friend's wedding at the end of the month. 3 Jackets, too!

Now as I work part time (and income low enough to qualify me for free prescriptions) this is a much-appreciated wardrobe boost.

Anyone else wear other people's cast-offs?

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Valli; 19-08-2010 at 5:38 PM.
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    Janice 1964-2016

Thank you Honey Bear
Page 2
    • kippers
    • By kippers 9th Aug 10, 8:36 PM
    • 1,941 Posts
    • 5,920 Thanks
    kippers
    I would wear clothes that people pass on to me....but no one ever does....even if they did they probably wouldn't fit me as i'm a size 18 now!...Shame!...i'll have to keep visiting the charity shops.

It doesn't bother me to wear other peoples clothes...it's more environmently friendly.

This is a rhyme I read on here many moons ago....

Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Lee; 17-08-2010 at 5:26 PM.
    • Valli
    • By Valli 9th Aug 10, 11:17 PM
    • 20,711 Posts
    • 235,162 Thanks
    Valli
    well

a massive thank you to you all...

I'm the poor mouse of the family (and my kids are told, pointedly, that those members of the family who APPEAR to be rich might actually be living on credit) but since I am in receipt of certain benefits we are definitely poorer.

But whose kids eat (delicious) home made jam? and Twinks?
    Whose mum uses quidco?
    Whose clothes are line dried almost all year round? (and therefore smell fresher)

Richness isn't just money - and if I can wear S/H so can they!

My daughter, in particular, has really absorbed some of my MSE ways (mind you she never has liked parting with cash) but she is learning to compare prices, and realising that, if you are patient you save money in the long run - you don't need the latest *whatever* now
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    Janice 1964-2016

Thank you Honey Bear
    • Patchwork Quilt
    • By Patchwork Quilt 9th Aug 10, 11:36 PM
    • 1,837 Posts
    • 11,056 Thanks
    Patchwork Quilt
    I get hand-me-downs from my daughter. She's taller and skinnier but her tops look ok on me. She has pinched one of my leather belts recently and wore my work jacket when she went out. Almost everything else is from the charity shop.
  • Alizarin
    I get hand-me-downs from my younger sister and have since we were in our early teens! I'm a size 8 and she's a 12, so the stuff she gives me is a bit big but I don't mind - it means I get to practice my (non-existent) sewing skills and I get snuggly jumpers for winter
    Saving for a deposit - Target 30k by 24/03/14 (30th Birthday!)
    Current Savings - 18,153.11 / 60.51%
    • notjustlaura
    • By notjustlaura 10th Aug 10, 11:57 AM
    • 546 Posts
    • 5,992 Thanks
    notjustlaura
    Thanks for an interesting thread, Valli.

Yes, I often get hand-me downs. I also do charity shops and jumble sales. Once a year, my parents' Church has a large jumble sale and I help out sorting through the donations and, in return, get first pick of whatever's there. I've also got clothes from Freecycle before now!

SailorSam - thanks for the chuckle!
    Household: Laura + William-cat
    Not Buying It in 2015
    • Chipps
    • By Chipps 10th Aug 10, 11:18 PM
    • 1,543 Posts
    • 4,802 Thanks
    Chipps
    Absolutely yes. I have just lost over 4 stone in weight and gone down from size 18 to 12, so in between was very happy to accept cast-offs to keep me decently clad in the interim sizes without spending.

I also gave away most of my larger size clothes to charity shop, but the best outfits I gave to a like minded friend.

When my youngest was small our mums & tots group used to have occasional clothing swaps. We could bring clothes - both children's & adults' - & take any we wanted (and of course take home any we brought which were not taken.) Apart from clothes, I remember getting a pair of football boots for my son. These mornings were good fun, social events, and very helpful at the time.
    • luxor4t
    • By luxor4t 17th Aug 10, 10:56 PM
    • 10,324 Posts
    • 37,222 Thanks
    luxor4t
    My sister's kids grew up wearing my kids clothes, a good half of which came from car boot sales in the first place.

My mum's wardrobe is full of my 'old' clothes - now she drops hints when she sees me wear something she fancies!

I buy from reduced racks, seconds shops, charity shops & E-bay.

There's nothing wrong with doing this!
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
    • inkie
    • By inkie 17th Aug 10, 11:05 PM
    • 2,569 Posts
    • 2,371 Thanks
    inkie
    Yes - I wear hand-me downs. In fact its vert rare that I buy anything new, and when I do, it's in the sale.

I buy from jumble sales, carboots (last week got loads of jeans/jackets/trousers for 20p per item), and quite often am gifted from freecyle. I love it :-)
  • seductivesmile
    Hi,
    Yes, i get given clothes, and give clothes, my SIL tend to swap quite a lot, i sell things and buy more on ebay - i can't remember the time i last bought clothes in a shop as i get some amazing bargains on ebay. Only thing i wouldnt is shoes - as with my degree i know the kind of icky things that grow in shoes (if they are unworn not an issue)
    I also offer anything that doesnt go on ebay on freecycle as that is a brilliant website for picking up bits and pieces!
    SS
    Each day is a new beginning, look at what you have an be grateful for every tiny thing. You don't know when it may be taken away.
    • esmf73
    • By esmf73 18th Aug 10, 7:51 AM
    • 1,772 Posts
    • 14,248 Thanks
    esmf73
    Heck yes - My friend used to buy great clothes, wear them for a season and then pass them on - I'd be quids in! Downside was when I had children and didn't need the super smart work clothes anymore!! Now I do charity shops, jumble sales, pass on what I can - and take what I can too. Downside of this is having just moved house I have HUGE boxes full of clothes that I'm waiting for my boys to grow into!!

For me I only buy Mr T value jeans - if anything of mine is particularly great then it is from either ebay or a charity shop.
    2014 will be all about ME!
    ( well that hasn't happened!!!)
    Mortgage free. Will be debt free in Nov 2014. Credit card 250
    • minuettoallegretto
    • By minuettoallegretto 18th Aug 10, 8:13 AM
    • 112 Posts
    • 886 Thanks
    minuettoallegretto
    I love rootling through charity shops - I normally aim for the curtains/duvet covers with the aim of transforming them into skirts or tops.
    The downside comes when I go through my stash (as I just have) to make things up, and find I've now got 9 new skirts but nowhere to store them! This would be because my wardrobe is full of boxes for the boys (aged 13, 4 & 2), all carefully labelled by age, for them to grow into! Shoes and underwear are always new for the intended person though lol.
  • flowerfairy159
    Hand-me-downs??
    Is there anything other than a hand-me-down?? I think ive forgotten the art of shopping in high street stores for clothes.

When I was pregnant with my son my aunty (who had 2 children and didnt want more) gave me all her baby clothes for both boys and girls for free up to the age of 7 in boys and 3 in girls.

I also had her maternity wear. I often buy my clothes from ebay as a larger lady it can get expensive on the high street. Unfortunately for me larger clothing (anything over a 16) appears hard to get in my local charity shops but I do try.

I have managed to save hundreds if not more by buying second hand.

Certain things I wont budge on though, like shoes for my son (I want a good fit) and underwear.

Other than that my motto is "If you don't want it, I'll have it!!"
    Debt Total on 02/12/2008 - 14978
    Debt owed on 19/03/2009 - 14027

(Make 10 per day in april total 388.67)
    • elf06
    • By elf06 18th Aug 10, 11:27 AM
    • 1,498 Posts
    • 15,140 Thanks
    elf06
    I'm with all of those above!! I met a friend of mine while we were pregnant (she had a girl, I had a boy) then later she went on to have her little boy. I sold a lot of my sons clothes on Ebay (I am a total shopaholic when it comes to my boys clothes but most are in sales or off ebay in the first place) but the bits that got missed got handed on to her for her son and at one point I even managed to completely clothe him for one age range haha. She repays the favour by giving me clothing that no longer fits her (I am marginally smaller than her) and things that have been bought for her that dont fit. This way her boy gets clothing that she doesnt need to pay for and I get some lovely clothes for me!!
    Emma

Aug GC - 88.17/130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
  • tracey2412
    swishing is a trendy thing to do at the moment - effectively clothes swapping - started, I belive, in New York when the 'ladies who lunch' hit hard times & cdnt afford new outfits for every single ball, so they swapped - poor things! But the concept caught on & now swishing events take place all over - on a large scale (bigwardrobe) and small (I did one for friends, also one for the local scouts group as a fundraiser 3 inc glass wine, clothes free).

Theres a website swishing.org where anyone can list an event & you can search for local ones. Twiggy did a tv programme last year about it.

I've had great stuff - the best ones: BNWT silk oasis dress, M&S winter coat, BN Next trouser suits, Levi jeans, a friend got a Usher evening dress for a work do she had to go to.

But I agree, the High Street is over-priced rubbish mainly - 90% of my wardrobe is ebay (never pay more than 30 - had Precis, Karen Millen, Wallis, Jaeger), my sister (shopaholic) & swishing - its fun to try something you wdnt normally wear, all without it costing a penny & (usually) adding to the plastic debt - and if you don't like it, you take it back next time & swap for something else. And if your weight fluctuates or you're on a diet, its ace too like Chipps says.

You can take the girl outta Yorkshire, but you can't take Yorkshire outta the girl!!
    • caseystar
    • By caseystar 18th Aug 10, 11:51 AM
    • 6,220 Posts
    • 10,757 Thanks
    caseystar
    Yes i do, my youngest sister and I are often swapping clothes, shoes,bags etc. My other sister recently bought two pairs of pants which were too small for her and she passed them to me. Unfortunately they were too big for me so my other sister got them.
    When i was pregnant with Ds i put on loads of weight i almost doubled in size, my best friend was on hand to help and gave me a load of clothes to fit. It has saved us all a fortune over the years.
    In order to be irreplaceable, one must always be different.

• uropachild
    • By uropachild 18th Aug 10, 12:30 PM
    • 517 Posts
    • 3,396 Thanks
    uropachild
    Oh yes, definitely!! My friends and i have given each other stuff before and it's great!

I'm pregnant at the moment and got a bag full of maternity wear from one friend, which included some of the stuff i'd given her from my previous pregnancy at the beginning of hers. We have just said that we will keep it and pass it about friends as they all keep getting pregnant and popping out babies!! It's that timer of life it seems.

I love the idea of a swishing party and i think i will bear that in mind to organise one in a few months (probably after this impending arrival turns a managable age and i have lost some baby weight).
    Sarah.
    DD is 8 years old DS1 is 6 years old
    DS2 is 14 months old
    • starsandmoon
    • By starsandmoon 18th Aug 10, 3:32 PM
    • 330 Posts
    • 3,678 Thanks
    starsandmoon
    Most of my clothes come from charity shops, it means I can wear brands I carnt normally afford. Have had a lot of brand new clothes from them. Also handy for books. One of my friends works in a hospital and they have sales to raise money of seconds/ex catologue stuff. All 1 an item, she gives me quite a lot of things from these sales. Even a lot of my furniture is 2nd hand. Im not proud lol
    • lauhol1980
    • By lauhol1980 18th Aug 10, 3:53 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    lauhol1980
    I do too!! My friend has just lost 3 stone doing Slimming World and she turned up the other day with a black sack of stuff for me that no longer fits her!!

Although it has made me think about doing something about my weight! I've told her if I lose weight but always stay a size bigger than her all the way I'll just keep getting her old clothes as she loses more weight lol!!
    • meanmarie
    • By meanmarie 18th Aug 10, 5:12 PM
    • 5,023 Posts
    • 48,782 Thanks
    meanmarie
    Many years ago, a group of my friends and I seemed to be pregnant all the time and we passed round the maternity clothes as required, gave us all a great range of clothes at little cost. I still wear a coat and light jacket which belonged to my late mother....she died in 1994. I see no reason to bin good clothes which can be used by others.

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • loobie37
    Freecycle
    Just wanted to point people in the direction of freecycle.org - not just hand me downs of clothes for kids and grown ups but a fab way to get rid of your trash which is is someone else's treasure!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

45Posts Today

2,694Users online

Martin's Twitter