Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • nannyboo1
    • By nannyboo1 24th Nov 09, 6:13 PM
    • 513 Posts
    • 5,947 Thanks
    nannyboo1
    • 24th Nov 09, 6:13 PM
    • 24th Nov 09, 6:13 PM
    There is a recipe either on the first or second page of these threads for alcoholic choc truffles
    Kate
  • tanmu
    • 24th Nov 09, 6:22 PM
    • 24th Nov 09, 6:22 PM
    I'm going to be making some traditional Scottish Tablet and some Baileys fudge. I'll cut it into cubes and put it into clean Jam jars with a homemade gift tag. The tablet recipe I'm using can be found here. I've never made it before, but how hard can it really be......?
    On ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur

-----------------------------------------------
    we're debt freeeeeeeeeeeee....FREEEEDOM!!!
  • laura16
    • 24th Nov 09, 6:26 PM
    • 24th Nov 09, 6:26 PM
    ooo i didnt know what scottish tablet was but Ive read the recipe and that sounds really nice so thats gotta be one that I try, doesn't look too hard
    Sealed pot challenge 1875
    • thefamousexcuse
    • By thefamousexcuse 24th Nov 09, 6:51 PM
    • 108 Posts
    • 512 Thanks
    thefamousexcuse
    • 24th Nov 09, 6:51 PM
    • 24th Nov 09, 6:51 PM
    These are great, posted the recipe for someone the otherday, they look dead sweet and people seem to really enjoy them.

They are from Nigella's xmas cook book.

Chirstmas Puddini Bon Bons
    It makes about 30.

125g dark chocolate finely chopped
    350g xmas pudding (either leftover or cooked and cooled)
    60ml Pedro Ximenez Sherry (I just used what ever sherry was in the cupboard when I made them.)
    2 x 15ml golden syrup

For Decoration
    100g white chocolate
    6 red glace cherries
    6 green glace cherries or 6 short lengths of angelica.

1. Line a baking sheet (make sure it fits in the fridge) with cling film, baking parchment or tin foil and then set it aside.
    2. Melt the dark chocolate, either in the mircowave or over a pan of hot water.
    3. Crumble cold xmas pudding into a bowl, add the sherry and golden syrup until its all incorporated.
    4.Pour in melted dark chocolate and stir again; this will make it stick together.
    5.Pinch out small lumps of the mixture and roll them into a "ball" should be around the size of a 50p (should be able to make about 30 out of the muxture)
    6.Cover with clingfilm and put them into the fridge to firm up.

To Decorate
    1. Melt the white chocolate and then set it aside for around 5 mins (will make it easier to work with.)
    2.Chop the red cherries into small pieces (to represent berries) and then chop the green cherries into small strands (to represent leaves.)
    3.Use a teaspoon to drip white chocolate over the bon bon and then arrange the cherries to look like holly. This should then look something like a christmas pudding : )

They can then be put into boxes or cello bags.

She aslo makes peanut brittle which looks quite good aswell. Dont no what you think of this but let me know if you would like the recipe.

HTH
    xx
    I have enough money to last me the rest of my life......until I go and buy something!

• Tia_Maria06
    • 24th Nov 09, 6:53 PM
    • 24th Nov 09, 6:53 PM
    Scottish Tablet is soooo yummy!! Is it the tin of condensed milk near the tip top stuff?? lol, sorry for being blonde!
  • laura16
    • 24th Nov 09, 6:55 PM
    • 24th Nov 09, 6:55 PM
    Yes i think it is. Be careful u get the right one because I get confused between condensed milk and evaporated.
    • scotrae
    • By scotrae 24th Nov 09, 10:33 PM
    • 591 Posts
    • 4,177 Thanks
    scotrae
    • 24th Nov 09, 10:33 PM
    • 24th Nov 09, 10:33 PM
    Gorgeous and very, very simple after dinner mints. Everyone asks how I make them but I daren't let on they are this simple!

Smash Extra Strong Mints into fine pieces and mix into melted plain chocolate.

Pour this into a dish or baking tray, possibly lined with a silicone sheet or cling film. Make it a thin layer - about half a centimetre is ideal.

Stick in the fridge and break it into irregular shaped pieces when set - taking care not to get finger prints on it!

I bag them into clear sellophane bags with festive ribbon and keep them in the fridge til DH goes out delivering them as extra gifts to aunts and uncles etc.
    Last edited by MSE Jenny; 15-12-2009 at 5:26 PM.
  • laura16
    • 25th Nov 09, 9:13 AM
    • 25th Nov 09, 9:13 AM
    Oh wow even I could do those
    • jetty
    • By jetty 25th Nov 09, 9:44 AM
    • 2,933 Posts
    • 3,546 Thanks
    jetty
    Gorgeous and very, very simple after dinner mints. Everyone asks how I make them but I daren't let on they are this simple!

Pour this into a dish or baking tray, possibly lined with a silicone sheet or cling film. Make it a thin layer - about half a centimetre is ideal.

Stick in the fridge and break it into irregular shaped pieces when set - taking care not to get finger prints on it!

I bag them into clear sellophane bags with festive ribbon and keep them in the fridge til DH goes out delivering them as extra gifts to aunts and uncles etc.
    Originally posted by scotrae
    Would greased proof paper work instead of clingfilm?
    Man who run into airport turn-styles is going to Bangkok

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research
    • scotrae
    • By scotrae 25th Nov 09, 10:16 AM
    • 591 Posts
    • 4,177 Thanks
    scotrae
    Possibly - I don't think I've ever tried it.
    Let us know if you do.
    • maginot
    • By maginot 25th Nov 09, 10:35 AM
    • 470 Posts
    • 373 Thanks
    maginot
    Thanks for the recipe scotrae.

We always eat after eights at Christmas and would be good to make our own.
    • kayl
    • By kayl 25th Nov 09, 11:41 AM
    • 480 Posts
    • 596 Thanks
    kayl
    Dead simple recipe for macaroons - sounds vile, but tastes delicious!
    Mash 1 medium potato while still warm.
    When cold, mix in 1 kg icing sugar
    Roll into small balls, dip in melted chocolates, and then roll in coconut
    • jetty
    • By jetty 25th Nov 09, 12:11 PM
    • 2,933 Posts
    • 3,546 Thanks
    jetty
    Originally posted by kayl

Really?? Although i will take your word for it, i don't like coconut! lol

• soon2bjobless
    • By soon2bjobless 25th Nov 09, 12:40 PM
    • 416 Posts
    • 1,208 Thanks
    soon2bjobless
    I just bought one of these silicone Christmas shapes mould from Betterware - will have a try at making the "after eights" as they sound really nice

http://www.betterware.co.uk/productdetails.aspx?pid=057114&cid=106&language=en-GB

although the frugal way is to re-use the backs of advent calendars but hopefully this will last me for years! And as I now have a re-useable advent calendar with wee pockets I am going to make some choccies for these using nice choccy instead of that horrible cheap stuff.
    Kondo'ed 76 items from wardrobe, 4 carrier bags of books
  • laura16
    Originally posted by kayl
    Is this honestly nice because it sounds soooo wierd but I might have to give it a whril just out of curiosity

Does anyone know when I can start making any of these
    • kayl
    • By kayl 25th Nov 09, 3:01 PM
    • 480 Posts
    • 596 Thanks
    kayl
    Honestly!! My daughter made this at school and insited that we try it at home.
    I made a sample run which I brought into my office today, and challenged anyone to guess the mystery ingredient! Nobody could, and when I told them it was potato still couldn't believe it
    • jetty
    • By jetty 26th Nov 09, 8:32 AM
    • 2,933 Posts
    • 3,546 Thanks
    jetty
    Okay, so i got the mints, i got 4 bars of value chocolate.... and i forgot the paper!!! Oh and OH nicked a bar of the chocolate too :rolleyes: *is heading to tesco*

• irishgirl62
    • By irishgirl62 26th Nov 09, 8:51 AM
    • 1,544 Posts
    • 5,631 Thanks
    irishgirl62

Originally posted by scotrae
    Sounds lovely... how many mints to a bar of chocolate would you use?
    I am determined to lose weight!
    Weight loss so far 2 stones 6lbs!!
  • NEgirl
    Im going to make the mint bars this weekend with the kids - they love extra strong mints and after eights etc so these should go down a storm! Thanks for the idea
    Win 2012 in 2012 challenge 0/2012

Olympics challenge
    GOLD Holiday - won flights to RIO!
    SILVER Kitchenaid
    BRONZE iPad
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,051Posts Today

9,697Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week? https://t.co/fdzmmFfA4u

• Warning: Energy price comparisons are now WRONG due to the price cap - it needs fixing - my letter to Ofgem alerti? https://t.co/vE9IHyM58X

• Follow Martin