Making chocolates or sweets

Options
laura16_2
laura16_2 Posts: 625 Forumite
Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert

This is a lovely thead, full of MoneySavers' ideas on how to create luxurious homemade food prezzies on a little budget. There are sacks to choose from, but top suggestions include Easy After Dinner Mints, Baily's Truffles and Peanut Butter Brittle.

Back to the original post ...

I want to do some boxes of chocolates or sweets for my hampers any ideas on good yummy recipes please?

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
Sealed pot challenge 1875

Comments

• nannyboo1
    Options
    There is a recipe either on the first or second page of these threads for alcoholic choc truffles
    :wave: Kate :hello:
  • tanmu
    tanmu Posts: 208 Forumite
    Options
    I'm going to be making some traditional Scottish Tablet and some Baileys fudge. I'll cut it into cubes and put it into clean Jam jars with a homemade gift tag. The tablet recipe I'm using can be found here. I've never made it before, but how hard can it really be......?
    :heart2::heart2:On ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur :heart2::heart2:

we're debt freeeeeeeeeeeee....FREEEEDOM!!! :j
    :T
  • laura16_2
    Options
    ooo i didnt know what scottish tablet was but Ive read the recipe and that sounds really nice so thats gotta be one that I try, doesn't look too hard
  • thefamousexcuse
    Options
    These are great, posted the recipe for someone the otherday, they look dead sweet and people seem to really enjoy them.

They are from Nigella's xmas cook book.

Chirstmas Puddini Bon Bons
    It makes about 30.

125g dark chocolate finely chopped
    350g xmas pudding (either leftover or cooked and cooled)
    60ml Pedro Ximenez Sherry (I just used what ever sherry was in the cupboard when I made them.)
    2 x 15ml golden syrup

For Decoration
    100g white chocolate
    6 red glace cherries
    6 green glace cherries or 6 short lengths of angelica.

1. Line a baking sheet (make sure it fits in the fridge) with cling film, baking parchment or tin foil and then set it aside.
    2. Melt the dark chocolate, either in the mircowave or over a pan of hot water.
    3. Crumble cold xmas pudding into a bowl, add the sherry and golden syrup until its all incorporated.
    4.Pour in melted dark chocolate and stir again; this will make it stick together.
    5.Pinch out small lumps of the mixture and roll them into a "ball" should be around the size of a 50p (should be able to make about 30 out of the muxture)
    6.Cover with clingfilm and put them into the fridge to firm up.

To Decorate
    1. Melt the white chocolate and then set it aside for around 5 mins (will make it easier to work with.)
    2.Chop the red cherries into small pieces (to represent berries) and then chop the green cherries into small strands (to represent leaves.)
    3.Use a teaspoon to drip white chocolate over the bon bon and then arrange the cherries to look like holly. This should then look something like a christmas pudding : )

They can then be put into boxes or cello bags.

She aslo makes peanut brittle which looks quite good aswell. Dont no what you think of this but let me know if you would like the recipe.

HTH
    xx
    I have enough money to last me the rest of my life......until I go and buy something!
    :D
  • Tia_Maria06
    Options
    Scottish Tablet is soooo yummy!! Is it the tin of condensed milk near the tip top stuff?? lol, sorry for being blonde!
    He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

If you really cant knit very well, then practise drumming with the needles...

:j
  • laura16_2
    Options
    Yes i think it is. Be careful u get the right one because I get confused between condensed milk and evaporated.
  • scotrae
    scotrae Posts: 588 Forumite
    edited 15 December 2009 at 6:26PM
    Options
    Gorgeous and very, very simple after dinner mints. Everyone asks how I make them but I daren't let on they are this simple!

Smash Extra Strong Mints into fine pieces and mix into melted plain chocolate.

Pour this into a dish or baking tray, possibly lined with a silicone sheet or cling film. Make it a thin layer - about half a centimetre is ideal.

Stick in the fridge and break it into irregular shaped pieces when set - taking care not to get finger prints on it!

I bag them into clear sellophane bags with festive ribbon and keep them in the fridge til DH goes out delivering them as extra gifts to aunts and uncles etc.
  • laura16_2
    Options
    Oh wow even I could do those
  • jetty
    jetty Posts: 3,011 Forumite
    Options
    scotrae wrote: »
    Gorgeous and very, very simple after dinner mints. Everyone asks how I make them but I daren't let on they are this simple!

Smash Extra Strong Mints into fine pieces and mix into melted plain chocolate.

Pour this into a dish or baking tray, possibly lined with a silicone sheet or cling film. Make it a thin layer - about half a centimetre is ideal.

Stick in the fridge and break it into irregular shaped pieces when set - taking care not to get finger prints on it!

I bag them into clear sellophane bags with festive ribbon and keep them in the fridge til DH goes out delivering them as extra gifts to aunts and uncles etc.

Would greased proof paper work instead of clingfilm?
    Man who run into airport turn-styles is going to Bangkok

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research ;)
  • scotrae
    scotrae Posts: 588 Forumite
    Options
    Possibly - I don't think I've ever tried it.
    Let us know if you do.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport