Mega strong weed killer?

Options

Comments

• goldcroft
    Options
    I misted a small area of my garden with over strength Roundup two weeks and repeated twice. No effect yet whatsoever, even on grass and dandelions!

I know is meant to be systemic, but would I get better results from using a watering can to soak the branches and roots??
  • sallyrsm
    sallyrsm Posts: 339 Forumite
    Options
    Roundup is good but expensive, so I buy the active ingredient in it, Glyphosate, at Wilkinson's for about a third the price of Roundup.

why is a jethose banned?
  • stig_thedump
    Options
    Hello New to this forum Thing .....

Does anyone of you money saving experts out there know a good weed killer for butterbur (wild poisonous rhubarb)? home made or cheap manufactured. I need loads of it , it's over taking my garden. I also have a bit of Japanese Knot weed which you need chemical sprays for, but it today's climate they wont be easy to get hold of.....
  • frankie
    frankie Posts: 846 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I used to use pathclear but the product is now virtually usless by comparison of the old stuff before the EU watered it down!!

Saw a bloke the other month filling the joints in block paving using a funnel full of salt. He swore by it. It's probably worth a try?
  • stilernin
    stilernin Posts: 1,217 Forumite
    Options
    goldcroft wrote: »
    I misted a small area of my garden with over strength Roundup two weeks and repeated twice. No effect yet whatsoever, even on grass and dandelions!

I know is meant to be systemic, but would I get better results from using a watering can to soak the branches and roots??

Give it time........ systemic weedkillers work through the plant's 'system'.

It will look like nothing is happening for some weeks, then the leaves will begin to look rather sad and finally will give up the ghost. Most of the roots will have also been killed or weakened. If the weeds begin to show signs of life again, highly likely with dandelions, wait until you have a couple of leaves, and then spray again. You don't need much on each leaf. Soaking doesn't work any better than a light spray (and is not MSE).

Weedol always looks really impressive because the leaves are killed very quickly, however the roots aren't affected at all and many weeds come back almost 'refreshed'.
  • Paparika
    Paparika Posts: 2,476 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    If I remember correctly, glyphosate works only on broadleaf plants, not grasses so it won't affect horsetail. It's action is on the metabolism, in short it makes the plant grow itself to death, so don't expect them to shrivel up overnight! Can be a sod on dandelions though, you need to remove the heads before spraying or they'll seed themselves.

For paving and whatnot, I prefer to sprinkle plain old salt in the weedy cracks - lasts quite a while and is relatively environmentally friendly (and cheap! :) )
    Life is about give and take, if you can't give why should you take?
  • Shambler
    Shambler Posts: 767 Forumite
    Options
    I thought glyphosate kills any green plant.

You don't want to put too much on either as the plants defence mechanism will kick in.

A small amount will work it's way to the plants root before it detects it and so kill it root and all.

I've got to get some for the next door neighbours weeds...they is coming under my fence :eek:
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Paparika wrote: »
    If I remember correctly, glyphosate works only on broadleaf plants, not grasses so it won't affect horsetail.

I'm sure this is wrong. Glyphosate is about the only thing that will knock horsetail back and it will certainly kill ordinary grasses.
  • Paparika
    Paparika Posts: 2,476 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    My bad, I got it mixed up with 2,4-D and all those type :)
    Life is about give and take, if you can't give why should you take?
  • Pauls
    Pauls Posts: 752 Forumite
    Options
    frankie wrote: »
    I used to use pathclear but the product is now virtually usless by comparison of the old stuff before the EU watered it down!!

Saw a bloke the other month filling the joints in block paving using a funnel full of salt. He swore by it. It's probably worth a try?

I seem to remember reading/hearing something about the Romans ploughing fields with salt or something like that?? Christ knows how I remembered that though :o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure