Comments

• Robie
    Robie Posts: 150 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 7 June 2010 at 11:25AM
    Options
    First post so please be gentle :0).

Rant On :mad:
    It's easy to say use boiling water, steam, pull them out by hand, use a blow-torch etc. I need to get rid of the weed from the alleyway (which is my responsiblilty & about 120 feet by 4 feet) next to my house.

Please don't tell me to use any of the methods I mentioned in my 2nd paragraph. I actually need to use a chemical to get rid of that stuff. It is growing wild and I have been asked to clear it. I can't be that kind to the environment even if I want to.
    Rant off. :beer:
    Robie
  • Yorkie1
    Yorkie1 Posts: 11,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The only effective chemical on the market is glyphosate. Buy it neat and dilute it as recommended, use a sprayer or watering can to administer.

If the weed concerned is marestail, it has a silica coating and you will need to bruise the leaves first (give it a bash with something, brush it with a brush or something along those lines) so that the coating is damaged and the chemical can be absorbed.

Don't do it if it's going to rain within 6 hours. Don't do it on a windy day, particularly if there is a risk of spray onto other plants. Don't dispose of any unused liquid down the drain or in any watercourses.

The effects should be seen within a couple of weeks or so (it's systemic rather than contact, so the plant dies from the inside, effectively).

You may need to repeat treat.
  • frank.hopper
    frank.hopper Posts: 208 Forumite
    edited 8 June 2010 at 2:32AM
    Options
    For really stubborn weeds give them a little drink of this it will kill anything...

or use a cheaper alternative this, it must not be used on tarred driveways though.
  • Freebyman
    Freebyman Posts: 591 Forumite
    Options
    For really stubborn weeds give them a little drink of this it will kill anything...

Is this true or will it just come up half-cut? :rotfl:
    Old Faithful we roam the range together,
    Old Faithful in any kind of weather,
    When the round up days are over,
    And the Boulevard’s white with clover,
    For you old faithful pal of mine.
  • cybergibbons
    cybergibbons Posts: 399 Forumite
    Options
    Robie wrote: »
    First post so please be gentle :0).

Rant On :mad:
    It's easy to say use boiling water, steam, pull them out by hand, use a blow-torch etc. I need to get rid of the weed from the alleyway (which is my responsiblilty & about 120 feet by 4 feet) next to my house.

Please don't tell me to use any of the methods I mentioned in my 2nd paragraph. I actually need to use a chemical to get rid of that stuff. It is growing wild and I have been asked to clear it. I can't be that kind to the environment even if I want to.
    Rant off. :beer:
    Robie

I don't understand why none of those mentioned will work on a 120'x4' alleyway?
  • cybergibbons
    cybergibbons Posts: 399 Forumite
    Options
    JBsplit wrote: »
    Sodium Chlorate was very good untill they removed the chemical that made it very usefull for bomb making as it was a favorite of the bad people.

They took the sodium chlorate out of the sodium chlorate? For years it has been a mix of sodium chlorate and a fire suppressant.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,096 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ive just used resolva and it does exactly what it says on the tin ! it took about 3/4 days but the weeds are as dead as can be .
  • sparky_bhoy
    Options
    Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I could have sworn this was a "money saving" forum, and not a tree huggers soap box?

All this global warming, carbon footprint guff is exactly that, guff, hysteria created by political groups with hidden agendas (usually fiscal), lining their pockets and the pockets of their cronies.

Again, forgive me if I'm wrong, but I could have sworn that in school I was educated in the condition of the planet over millions and even billions of years, through major temperature increases to ice ages and everything in between, that even continent climate changes have rotated massively, where even the UK had Mediterranean weather.

Well, if modern global climate change has been caused by man over the industry of the past 200 yrs or so, who caused it before? Was it ma? No. Was it the Dinosaurs? I don't recall any evidence of them developing heavy industry?

So what was responsible? Nature perchance?

And to those hypocritical tree huggers and politically correct bored housewives, when you advocate the use of manual labour to remove weeds, have you considered those that cannot afford gardeners willing to absorb your "morals" or those who don't have all the time in the world, or, even, those pesky people with poor health, back problems, arthritis and so on!

Anyway, now is there any chance the original thread can be adhered to, and we can discuss cheap and effective solutions to controling weeds with the use of chemicals? Would that be too much to ask?
  • sparky_bhoy
    sparky_bhoy Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 10 June 2010 at 5:45PM
    Options
    They took the sodium chlorate out of the sodium chlorate? For years it has been a mix of sodium chlorate and a fire suppressant.

Sodium Chlorate was banned in the EU in 2009, that's why you can't find it, mixed with sugar it can be a hazzard.

I used to buy containers of Sodium Chloride (basically salt) from B&Q but can't seem to find that now?
  • 1984ReturnsForReal_2
    Options
    Anyways

Weedkillers with glyphosate in pretty much kill everything.
    Not Again
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport