Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 5th Nov 09, 3:35 PM
    • 1,228Posts
    • 3,559Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Should Gwyneth give the lady her reduced steak?
    • 5th Nov 09, 3:35 PM
    MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Should Gwyneth give the lady her reduced steak? 5th Nov 09 at 3:35 PM
    Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:

Should Gwyneth give the lady her reduced steak?

Gwyneth is rummaging through the supermarket reduced section bargains and, as usual, there’s a bit of a scram for the cheapest goodies (get clearance food bargains online too see the Supermarket Shopping guide). She manages to grab a posh steak down to 50p from 6, but, as she picks it up, a woman in her late 70s says the steak belongs to her, she just put it down so she could browse the rest.

Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs: View All

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Jenny; 10-11-2009 at 9:32 PM.
Page 1
    • scotsbob
    • By scotsbob 10th Nov 09, 9:43 PM
    • 4,462 Posts
    • 6,958 Thanks
    scotsbob
    • 10th Nov 09, 9:43 PM
    • 10th Nov 09, 9:43 PM
    Of course she lets the older lady have it, it's basic good manners.
    • jamespir
    • By jamespir 10th Nov 09, 11:57 PM
    • 18,725 Posts
    • 19,767 Thanks
    jamespir
    • 10th Nov 09, 11:57 PM
    • 10th Nov 09, 11:57 PM
    its good manners to let her have it but from experiance the old lady might no do the same in return so im gonna say no she shouldnt
    Replies to posts are always welcome, If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
    • shimmeronhorizons
    • By shimmeronhorizons 11th Nov 09, 12:30 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    shimmeronhorizons
    • 11th Nov 09, 12:30 AM
    • 11th Nov 09, 12:30 AM
    In theory, she should. But in theory, the little old lady is a pleasant upstanding member of the older generation.

In practice, the old ladies who hang around my local supermarket would slit your throat for a 10% reduction (and I live in a posh part of London). Not content with elbowing me in the crotch should I venture anywhere near their perceived territory (generally the reduced bin coincides with the sandwich and snacks fridge, making lunch an oft painful experience), they harass the staff and guard anyone with a pricing gun with a vigour usually reserved for the canine species.

So, for all their hypocrisy about the younger generations having bad manners, to hell with them. What do they think shopping baskets/trolleys are for?
  • tryfive
    • 11th Nov 09, 12:37 AM
    It *belongs* to whom?!
    • 11th Nov 09, 12:37 AM
    It belongs to her?!

No, it doesn't. Until the product's actually been sold, it remains property owned by the supermarket.

I don't have much sympathy for the old biddy in this case. If she'd really picked it up earlier, the only place she'd have put it down would have been in her basket/shopping trolley - and not back on the shelf (which would suggest she'd looked at it, and decided against getting it).

It sounds like she's seen someone else pick up a bargain before her (or at best, changed her mind about it) and thought "why not play the old age card and see if I can get it...?!"
    • elizabethhull
    • By elizabethhull 11th Nov 09, 12:45 AM
    • 279 Posts
    • 1,823 Thanks
    elizabethhull
    • 11th Nov 09, 12:45 AM
    'Her' steak!
    • 11th Nov 09, 12:45 AM
    Of course it's not 'hers', but this is one of the many moral conundrums where doing the kind thing is better in the greater scheme of things. If no other circumstance applies (is Gwyneth herself on the breadline, is she out of work, does the old lady look in dire need of a square meal, etc etc), then ask yourself 'What contributes more to the sum of human happiness?'. Then your course of action is obvious.
  • finlay666
    • 11th Nov 09, 1:08 AM
    • 11th Nov 09, 1:08 AM
    If she put it down it would be in her basket/trolley, claiming she put it there to look at the other items is a bit of a fib

If there was another one I'd let her have it, if not explain I'm having to live on less than her and could use the bargain more.
    • Cloudane
    • By Cloudane 11th Nov 09, 1:09 AM
    • 499 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    Cloudane
    • 11th Nov 09, 1:09 AM
    • 11th Nov 09, 1:09 AM
    Certainly doesn't belong to any person in the process of shopping, legally speaking anyway, although I get the meaning.

Depends on her attitude. It's good manners, but old folk can be just as rude as everyone else, especially in supermarkets for some reason. If she's nasty about it, it's mine - yes you should respect your elders but respect is a 2-way process; when it's 1-way it's bullying.

If she's polite and seems to have a good reason not to have put it in her basket and whatnot... well there are a lot of variables but in most cases I'd just do the polite thing and hand it over. Why make a fuss over some 50p meat.

I guess in some bygone age before even her time, when everyone was nice to each other, she'd have mentioned it very politely and the other person would've insisted she comes round for tea and shares it. But yeh. Wouldn't work that way now :P

Or the answers could take a Fallout 3 approach:
    The old lady says the steak is hers. Do you....
    - Hand it over politely. You didn't want it that badly anyway.
    - Tell her "Let's find a way to share it. That's fair, right?"
    - Tell her "It's my birthday. I don't have to hand it over today."
    - Spit on it then hand it over
    - Turn her in to the security guards
    - Make a comment about her mother
  • Stampede
    • 11th Nov 09, 3:07 AM
    • 11th Nov 09, 3:07 AM
    help .. why do I keep being asked to log in and re enter every time I try to 'go advanced' only to find my entry lost and having to retype it ?????

so I can't be bothered .. edited answer .. yes let her have the steak .. who cares if she's telling fib to get a bargain she didn't notice before you did.
  • Trialia
    Given how rarely I get to eat steak on my extremely tight budget and that I think if she'd actually already taken it it would be in her basket and not still on the shelf, no. I'd keep it, unless the old lady was being really nice about it and I didn't feel that much like eating it that day anyway... I can't very well afford to pass up cheap steak. :P
    Homosexual, Unitarian, young, British, female, disabled. Do you need more?
    • brightonman123
    • By brightonman123 11th Nov 09, 4:47 AM
    • 8,307 Posts
    • 48,358 Thanks
    brightonman123
    wgy not offer to split it between them? as others have said, strictly not old lady's until it's paid for.. and as not in her trolley, she hasnt even staked a claim (sorry..),, shown others she is interested in it..

and to defer to old age, in these PC times, must surely be age-ist?

#xmas #tough #times
    • jenniewb
    • By jenniewb 11th Nov 09, 4:54 AM
    • 12,553 Posts
    • 11,735 Thanks
    jenniewb
    Well- the lady obviously doesn't shop where I do!

You snooze-you lose seems to be the mentality, and putting something reduced back on the shelf = fair game for anyone else. Aside from any legal "owing" stand point, this is how it works when your struggling for supermarket reductions, it is the "law" of the bargain shopper, its how it works.

I think the lady wont have shopped for reductions for the first time and will probably have put it back on the shelf so the supermarket reduction person can come reduce it some more (they wont reduce anything thats already in your trolley/basket). I'd also bet Gwyneth has not shopped at supermarkets for reductions very often and does not realise that if its close to 9pm, the little reduction man is going to come round again to reduce stuff even more. Then its a scramble (in which the lady will play up to her "I'm old and on a pension" ploy to get others to give her the item without question whist she later gives the reductions to her 40 year old son waiting at the checkout, sorry, I digress....) The lady is likely merely biding her time. Its not though, her right to have something reduced again, you win some, you lose some. You put it back on the shelf, you may end up losing the item.

Supermarket reduction shopping is like a reverse price auction. Its a gamble.
    Last edited by jenniewb; 11-11-2009 at 4:57 AM.
    • Taffybiker
    • By Taffybiker 11th Nov 09, 7:00 AM
    • 917 Posts
    • 499 Thanks
    Taffybiker
    50p? What old lady?

Seriously though, it would really depend on the attitude of the old lady. If she was one of those who seems to think they have a god given right then it goes in my basket straight away. OTOH, if she was one of those that I just take a liking to then she might be cooking some onions to go with steak that evening.
    Try saying "I have under-a-pound in my wallet" and listen to people react!
    • luxor4t
    • By luxor4t 11th Nov 09, 7:22 AM
    • 10,297 Posts
    • 37,129 Thanks
    luxor4t
    I never see meat (any meat) this reduced round here unless it is green & covered with flies (OK, I'm exaggerating...but only about the flies).

The LOL's would have grabbed it long before, bullied the reductions SA into halving the price & then tried to get it reduced again at the checkout.

Cynical? Me? no - realistic!
  • ceridwen
    Well - i dont eat meat anyway - so its a bit academic to me.

But - the general principle of this - my attitude would be "it would depend entirely on whether she had told me the truth or no when she said that she already "owned" it".

If I could see that she was telling the truth - and she had already "bagged it" - then I would hand it over instantly.

If I could see that she was lying and hadnt already taken it at all - then I would be inclined not to do so (it would depend on whether I had "picked up" that she was actually desperately poor or no). If I had "picked up" that she was so poor that she might lie out of sheer desperation (but was basically an honest person normally) - then I would probably give her the steak. If she was lying and not that poor - I would keep it.

I do appreciate that I personally feel pretty confident about being able to tell whether people are telling the truth or no and at "picking up" the most important things about them (eg being very poor) - hence why my own personal reaction would be based entirely on what I had "seen"/"picked up" about them - rather than any rigid "rule of thumb" about how I would act in those circumstances.

My only rigid "rule of thumb" rule about behaviour pretty much is to treat people in accordance with what I have "seen"/"picked up" about them.
    • neneromanova
    • By neneromanova 11th Nov 09, 7:57 AM
    • 2,909 Posts
    • 6,893 Thanks
    neneromanova
    I wouldn't give it back. If it had been in her basket then I would have seen that she'd "claimed" it as hers. But if it's back on the shelf I would just tell her nicely to jog on.

But if she was a frail little sweet old lady, then I'd feel sorry and give it to her.
    • DKLS
    • By DKLS 11th Nov 09, 8:04 AM
    • 12,761 Posts
    • 21,519 Thanks
    DKLS
    I wouldnt give the old biddy the steak back, I would buy it and feed it to the scratty mongrel tied up outside the supermarket.

That should balance out my karmic actions of upsetting the wrinkly.
    • cozlw
    • By cozlw 11th Nov 09, 8:05 AM
    • 51 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    cozlw
    She doesnt own the meat, she hasnt put it in her basket and hasnt paid for it so fair game. Im not exactly rolling in cash either and not about to pass up a bargain (Not that anything like that ever turns up in my local!)

If she was being honest (however I dont see how she could prove it) then I may let her have it...
  • Susan Frost
    No, I wouldn't. She has seen me get it and is playing the "age card".

However, I would probably help her rummage and find the next cheapest for her to take.

Too often have I heard my dear old mum say "act daft" when she wants something done for her.
  • motherhen2234
    I'd give her the meat but that's working on a few assumptions. Firstly that she was nice about it not spitting venom! Secondly on the assumption she is pensioner and in more financial need than myself.
    2013 Free Money - 363.44 Topcashback
    2014 Free Money - 59.84 Topcashback
    2015 Free Money (so far) - 186.33 Topcashback
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,640Posts Today

4,595Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • "Sabrina, you're young. I'm not sure you've the experience I'm looking for in a business partner." Eh? Isn't the pr? https://t.co/IeTxBQq2OU

• I am predicting the word myself will be misused 6 times in today;s boardroom. What do yourself think? #TheApprentice

• Not sure how I ever succeeded running a successful entreprise? After all my gardening and garden design skills are? https://t.co/FFnvkjsGDU

• Follow Martin