MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Should Gwyneth give the lady her reduced steak?

Options

Comments

• Philycheesesteak
    Options
    Hell no! Possesion is 9/10ths of the law. It's disappointing when old people decide to retire their manners as they grow old. Not saying thank you when holding the door open for them etc. (This is a minority sect I grant you).

If the old dear had said. 'Oh that steak would make Arthur's birthday the best, any chance I could have it' I would probably give it to her. "It's mine" will mean I'd buy it anyway even if I was a vegitarian. haha
  • Loobeylou
    Options
    I'm with tryfive on this one ...

It belongs to her?!

No, it doesn't. Until the product's actually been sold, it remains property owned by the supermarket.

I don't have much sympathy for the old biddy in this case. If she'd really picked it up earlier, the only place she'd have put it down would have been in her basket/shopping trolley - and not back on the shelf (which would suggest she'd looked at it, and decided against getting it).

It sounds like she's seen someone else pick up a bargain before her (or at best, changed her mind about it) and thought "why not play the old age card and see if I can get it...?!"
  • Thunderbird_2
    Options
    She shouldn't, but I would.
    Be nice, life is too short to be anything else.
  • new
    Options
    maybe she's not 70 and just lived in the 'fast lane'? should I ask to see her bus pass? LOL.
    aww...let her have it....
  • YORKSHIRE_GUY
    Options
    Everyone knows that if she wanted it, she should have put it in her trolley or basket.
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Options
    If it's on the counter then it's up for grabs - if there is something I want I would never put it down.

I don't give in to old people just because they are old, there is a lot of different ways to earn respect, age on it's own is not one of them.

It is NOT the old lady's, it belongs to the person who buys it.

Also, it is not just the older generation who are broke these days, that would probably make a cheap meal for Gwyneth who may also have kids to feed, rent/mortgage to pay, and possibly less of an income than the old lady!
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • golddustmedia
    Options
    Nope!

"You snooze, you lose!".

It's every man for themselves at the moment. If the old dear really had bagged it for herself it should be in her basket/trolley. Old dears can be sneaky and seem to know every trick in the book...
  • Tali_2
    Tali_2 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    Surely there are 2 questions to be considered here:
    1. Is it right for the older woman to claim ownership? Clearly not because if what she said was true she'd have put it in her basket; and
    2. Should the younger woman lert her have it? Which is a subjective decision she must make on the basis of perceived need.
  • Tulgey_Wood
    Options
    If Gwyneth falls for that, she deserves to be paying full price.
    You don't put bargain goods back while you browse (browse, as in, hmm, that's a bargain, but there may be an even cheaper one....in which case I don't want it) and expect them to still be there when you decide you want them after all.
    My granny would have had it in her basket before Gwyneth even got in the shop!
    Chancers come in all shapes, sizes and ages.
  • jobbingmusician
    Options
    I'd look at the old woman. If it looked plausible that she NEEDED to put it down (because her hands were very full, and she was obviously having difficulty coping with what she was holding) I hope I would have the grace to give it to her. Otherwise, you b well hold on to anything until you have reached the till and paid for it!
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure