Fraud investigation income support, advice appreciated

Options
Hi all,

I am a single parent in Scotland and was in reciept of income support for my 2 children.

I play poker online and was lucky enough to qualify for a televised final last year and was 2nd for $100,000. about £60k.

I stopped claiming housing benefit but didnt change the income support/child tax credit as i thought i was still entitled to this as some of it is child benefit which everyone is entitled too and i still wasnt working and as far as i was aware earnings from gambling are tax free in the UK.

I intended to just use the money as a bankroll to keep playing poker.

Today i got a letter saying i had to attend a interview under caution as they suspect a criminal offence may have took place in relation to undeclared capital.

So i am unsure what will happen now and would appreciate any advice.

many thanks

marky

Comments

• HopeAndDriftWood
    Options
    Dig out all of your paperwork, and have it ready to present. Don't be tempted to lie, because it'll make things worse, they are excellent at tricking liars into confusion.

You can't claim any benefits, as far as I am aware, if you have 60k. It's good that you stopped housing benefit, but you will probably be expected to pay back any other benefit money you have had since then.

I'm not sure about Child Tax Credits, or whether gambling is tax free, but it is still capital and there is a capital limit on most benefits.
    Signature down for maintenance :rotfl:
  • markyb1888
    Options
    Appreciate the feedback , thanks

Is this something they are likely to send you to prison for or would they just expect any overpayment to be repaid + any fine?

If you repay it can you pay an agreed amount each week etc?

Thanks again.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    earnings from gambling are tax free,BUT the £60k took you over the £16k savings limit and therefore you were no longer entitled to I/S,you therefore face prosecution for fraud.The fact that you stopped claiming housing benefit suggests that you knew you were no longer entitled to benefits.
  • deano19690
    Options
    why is someone claiming housing benefits and tax credits playing on-line poker
    i would have thought with kids to consider you would have other priorities
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I was on jury duty several years ago the man was claiming benefits which he wasn't entitled to, he got 8mths, but he did plead not guilty when he obviously was. I think if you hold your hands up and repay the benefits you may get a ticking off, perhaps a suspended sentence particularly as you stopped claiming for housing benefit.
    I don't know but with the jails being full to bursting are they less inclined to put people away for lesser offences.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • Metranil_Vavin
    Options
    Troll methinks....? :rolleyes:
    Metranil dreams of becoming a neon,
    You don't even take him seriously,
    How am I going to get to heaven?,
    When I'm just balanced so precariously..
  • healy
    healy Posts: 5,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Troll methinks....? :rolleyes:

It could be as it is a Saturday and a new poster but it is advised on here to give "the benefit of the doubt"!!
  • markyb1888
    Options
    deano19690 wrote: »

Mainly as i was making some extra cash which i thought was allowed , this wasnt an expenditure.

Thanks for the help and feedback so far folks.

P.S. I am certainly by the looks of it guilty of being naive but i didnt set out to defraud anyone , i hadnt been in this situation before and should have sought advice to know what i should/shouldnt have been claiming , hindsight is 20/20 though.
  • real1314
    real1314 Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    Options
    markyb1888 wrote: »
    Mainly as i was making some extra cash which i thought was allowed , this wasnt an expenditure.

Thanks for the help and feedback so far folks.

P.S. I am certainly by the looks of it guilty of being naive but i didnt set out to defraud anyone , i hadnt been in this situation before and should have sought advice to know what i should/shouldnt have been claiming , hindsight is 20/20 though.

"some extra cash which i thought was allowed" - erm you thought getting £60k was allowed?

Prison is certainly a possibility for that level of money.
  • madmish
    madmish Posts: 50 Forumite
    Options
    deano19690 wrote: »

so, if people are on benefits, they should not be entiltled to have any hobbies or leisure time?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure