Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    John_M_Business
    Child locks for kitchen/household cupboards...
    • 22nd Dec 04, 11:14 AM
    Child locks for kitchen/household cupboards... 22nd Dec 04 at 11:14 AM
    Hi there

Have a very active 14 monther who is trying desperately hard to investigate just about everything... which is fine by me, but I am fed up with the child locks we got from Homebase - they are far too flimsy and I've already had to replace about four of them in the last six months.

I was just wondering whether anyone else here has had experience of good child locks for ground level cupboards... they need to be:
    - strong / lasting
    - easy to use (i.e. aren't 'adult' locks too!)
    - discreet (i.e. not on the front of the door)

Anyone got any recommendations?

Thanks

John
Page 1
    • Nile
    • By Nile 22nd Dec 04, 11:18 AM
    • 14,458 Posts
    • 14,428 Thanks
    Nile
    • 22nd Dec 04, 11:18 AM
    Re: Child locks for kitchen/household cupboards...
    • 22nd Dec 04, 11:18 AM
    As the kitchen can be a very unsafe area for a child to be in, wouldn't a gate across the kitchen door be a better idea?
    • Murphy_The_Cat
    • By Murphy_The_Cat 22nd Dec 04, 12:55 PM
    • 19,770 Posts
    • 25,742 Thanks
    Murphy_The_Cat
    • 22nd Dec 04, 12:55 PM
    • 22nd Dec 04, 12:55 PM
    Would a gate across the kitchen door be a good idea ??

It would be a good idea if you don't mind your Tot screaming and crying because he cant see what his Mum or Dad is doing in the other room ;D

A really cheap idea is to get strong elastic bands and wrap themn around the handles of double cupboards - but of no use at all with single cupboards.

Or move everything of danger/damageable from ground level and let your Tot explore at his/her leisure.

MTC ;D
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 22nd Dec 04, 12:59 PM
    • 20,641 Posts
    • 34,564 Thanks
    Spendless
    • 22nd Dec 04, 12:59 PM
    • 22nd Dec 04, 12:59 PM
    A gate would be awkward for us too as we have to walk thru dining room to access kitchen so a gate would keep them out of 2 rooms and we wouldn't be able to see them.

I also did rubber bands and moved things about to adult height level. With a cupboard that opens into dining room i filled it with their toys, so they were more interested in what was in there.
    • jellyhead
    • By jellyhead 22nd Dec 04, 1:21 PM
    • 20,889 Posts
    • 24,217 Thanks
    jellyhead
    • 22nd Dec 04, 1:21 PM
    • 22nd Dec 04, 1:21 PM

i used the same child locks from mothercare for years, they didn't break. as soon as i removed them my nephew ate a washing powder tablet - ick!
  • John_M_Business
    • 22nd Dec 04, 2:08 PM
    • 22nd Dec 04, 2:08 PM
    - Rubber bands - no good, most of the locks would be for single doors AND he's too strong.
    - Child gate - no good, open plan living area, there are two entrances to the kitchen area, one of which is 2 metres wide

Essentially, I don't mind him being in the kitchen. He is well behaved and generally does what he's asked to do, and all dangerous items are out of reach... BUT I would prefer to ensure that he does not go fishing in cupboards.

Will look at the Mothercare ones...
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 23rd Dec 04, 2:10 AM
    • 40,434 Posts
    • 37,936 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 23rd Dec 04, 2:10 AM
    • 23rd Dec 04, 2:10 AM
    Magnetic ones may fit the bill. And you can get them from Niche Locks.

Described in detail here - check your doors are thick enough to take them. They sell both single packs and multipacks.

They are a bit fiddly to fit but very discreet. I believe you can 'switch them off' if you don't need them any longer.

The downside is that you then have to keep the magnet which opens the cupboards in a safe place, but I believe it is designed not be a choking hazard - you might want to check this! Put one of the magnets in a safe place because I can vouch for the fact that it takes a very strong magnet to unlock them! (Someone put both magnets down inside the cupboard and shut the door ... fortunately ours weren't very well aligned and I managed to jiggle one door open, but it took several weeks or intermittent jiggling to do it!)
    • Glad
    • By Glad 23rd Dec 04, 10:43 AM
    • 17,988 Posts
    • 40,016 Thanks
    Glad
    • 23rd Dec 04, 10:43 AM
    • 23rd Dec 04, 10:43 AM
    we used this type from mothercare
    lasted through 2 children and then removed them and passed them on to friends
    • robnye
    • By robnye 23rd Dec 04, 11:37 AM
    • 5,336 Posts
    • 1,121 Thanks
    robnye
    • 23rd Dec 04, 11:37 AM
    • 23rd Dec 04, 11:37 AM

we used this type from mothercare
    lasted through 2 children and then removed them and passed them on to friends
    oh my goodness.... I thought you meant the kids when i first read this
    ;D :P
  • beanytot
    I am pretty sure we got ours from Mothercare (although not the ones mentioned above). You can turn them sideways so that they don't 'catch' if you want to.
  • John_M_Business
    Thanks for all your help.

The Mothercare ones you've shown are similar to the ones that I already have, I am quite interested in the magnetic ones - they seem an innovative solution - if more expensive...
  • tobyjug
    We had magnetic catches on our cleaning bottles cupboard, which are still used 8 years later....but all the other cupboards I didnt bother.
    I've 2 children very different personalties and with both of them I used to let them open the doors, and cupboards and let them get pots and things out of one cupboard redirecting them back to this one if they strayed. Seemed to work Ok.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 30th Dec 04, 1:36 AM
    • 40,434 Posts
    • 37,936 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    The Mothercare ones you've shown are similar to the ones that I already have, I am quite interested in the magnetic ones - they seem an innovative solution - if more expensive...
    I agree that the magnetic ones are pricey, but they really are child-proof! If you lose the magnet or 'forget' exactly where the catch is they are also adult proof. As I discovered at work the other day ;D and when someone shut both magnets inside the cupboard ;D ;D

If you plan to need them for several years they'd be an excellent investment, and if you keep the instructions but don't need them for long I'd say they'd be eminently sellable on Ebay or at a car boot. You can remove them without leaving marks on the outside of the doors!

Just check your doors are the right thickness before you buy.
  • John_M_Business
    Quick update.

After all this, was visiting Ikea last week and saw their inside cupboard latches - thought I'd try these... will let you know how I get on... after all, they're only about 2 for 8 latches.

• little_lil
    • By little_lil 4th Jan 05, 10:19 PM
    • 379 Posts
    • 408 Thanks
    little_lil
    I have had the plastic ones on my cupboards and find that a sharp tug on the cupboard can sometimes make them fail.

I have heard of the magnetic ones and that they are excellent but wasn't sure where to get them, thanks for the link Savvy_sue I think i will invest in these.
  • Plumpud
    Years ago we had some of the latches from Mothercare, they are still going strong (still have one on the dressing table - 18 years on).

Bought some from IKEA and Great Mills (now Focus). Whilst they are the same design, they are pathetic. Every single one has broken. The ends just snap off.

My youngest is two in 2 weeks time. She had climbed out of her cot and her playpen/travel cot before she was 18 months old. She can take all of her clothes off AND put them back on (except tights). She is so bright I know these catches will just be a challenge to her. She isn't allowed in the kitchen yet, but we are having it re-modelled. I shall be getting some of these magnetic catches for the 'dangerous' cupboards. Thanks.
    • toadhall
    • By toadhall 5th Jan 05, 6:58 PM
    • 333 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    toadhall
    i had the normal plastic catches on my cleaning under sink cupboard. they lasted through three children.
    then i moved everything i didn't want them to have to top cupboards, that left all the plastic boxes and suacepans on the bottom ones and they had a wonderful time with them. ;D
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

126Posts Today

2,267Users online

Martin's Twitter