Child locks for kitchen/household cupboards...

Options
2»

Comments

• tobyjug
    tobyjug Posts: 291 Forumite
    Options
    We had magnetic catches on our cleaning bottles cupboard, which are still used 8 years later....but all the other cupboards I didnt bother.
    I've 2 children very different personalties and with both of them I used to let them open the doors, and cupboards and let them get pots and things out of one cupboard redirecting them back to this one if they strayed. Seemed to work Ok.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The Mothercare ones you've shown are similar to the ones that I already have, I am quite interested in the magnetic ones - they seem an innovative solution - if more expensive...
    I agree that the magnetic ones are pricey, but they really are child-proof! If you lose the magnet or 'forget' exactly where the catch is they are also adult proof. As I discovered at work the other day ;D and when someone shut both magnets inside the cupboard ;D ;D

If you plan to need them for several years they'd be an excellent investment, and if you keep the instructions but don't need them for long I'd say they'd be eminently sellable on Ebay or at a car boot. You can remove them without leaving marks on the outside of the doors!

Just check your doors are the right thickness before you buy.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • John_M_Business
    Options
    Quick update.

After all this, was visiting Ikea last week and saw their inside cupboard latches - thought I'd try these... will let you know how I get on... after all, they're only about £2 for 8 latches.
    CarQuake / Ergo Digital
  • little_lil
    Options
    I have had the plastic ones on my cupboards and find that a sharp tug on the cupboard can sometimes make them fail.

I have heard of the magnetic ones and that they are excellent but wasn't sure where to get them, thanks for the link Savvy_sue I think i will invest in these.
  • Plumpud_3
    Plumpud_3 Posts: 132 Forumite
    Options
    Years ago we had some of the latches from Mothercare, they are still going strong (still have one on the dressing table - 18 years on).

Bought some from IKEA and Great Mills (now Focus). Whilst they are the same design, they are pathetic. Every single one has broken. The ends just snap off.

My youngest is two in 2 weeks time. She had climbed out of her cot and her playpen/travel cot before she was 18 months old. She can take all of her clothes off AND put them back on (except tights). She is so bright I know these catches will just be a challenge to her. She isn't allowed in the kitchen yet, but we are having it re-modelled. I shall be getting some of these magnetic catches for the 'dangerous' cupboards. Thanks.
  • toadhall
    toadhall Posts: 369 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    i had the normal plastic catches on my cleaning under sink cupboard. they lasted through three children.
    then i moved everything i didn't want them to have to top cupboards, that left all the plastic boxes and suacepans on the bottom ones and they had a wonderful time with them. ;D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure