Child locks for kitchen/household cupboards...

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Marriage, Relationships & Families
16 replies 3.5K views
John_M_BusinessJohn_M_Business Forumite
565 Posts
✭✭
Hi there

Have a very active 14 monther who is trying desperately hard to investigate just about everything... which is fine by me, but I am fed up with the child locks we got from Homebase - they are far too flimsy and I've already had to replace about four of them in the last six months.

I was just wondering whether anyone else here has had experience of good child locks for ground level cupboards... they need to be:
- strong / lasting
- easy to use (i.e. aren't 'adult' locks too!)
- discreet (i.e. not on the front of the door)

Anyone got any recommendations?

Thanks

John
CarQuake / Ergo Digital

Replies

• NileNile Forumite, Board Guide
    14.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As the kitchen can be a very unsafe area for a child to be in, wouldn't a gate across the kitchen door be a better idea?
    Hi, I'm the Board Guide on the In my home (includes DIY) and the I wanna buy-it or do-it boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • Murphy_The_CatMurphy_The_Cat Forumite
    20.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would a gate across the kitchen door be a good idea ??

It would be a good idea if you don't mind your Tot screaming and crying because he cant see what his Mum or Dad is doing in the other room ;D

A really cheap idea is to get strong elastic bands and wrap themn around the handles of double cupboards - but of no use at all with single cupboards.

Or move everything of danger/damageable from ground level and let your Tot explore at his/her leisure.

MTC ;D
  • SpendlessSpendless Forumite
    22K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A gate would be awkward for us too as we have to walk thru dining room to access kitchen so a gate would keep them out of 2 rooms and we wouldn't be able to see them.

I also did rubber bands and moved things about to adult height level. With a cupboard that opens into dining room i filled it with their toys, so they were more interested in what was in there.
  • jellyheadjellyhead Forumite
    21.6K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i used the same child locks from mothercare for years, they didn't break. as soon as i removed them my nephew ate a washing powder tablet - ick!
    52% tight
  • John_M_BusinessJohn_M_Business Forumite
    565 Posts
    ✭✭
    - Rubber bands - no good, most of the locks would be for single doors AND he's too strong.
    - Child gate - no good, open plan living area, there are two entrances to the kitchen area, one of which is 2 metres wide

Essentially, I don't mind him being in the kitchen. He is well behaved and generally does what he's asked to do, and all dangerous items are out of reach... BUT I would prefer to ensure that he does not go fishing in cupboards.

Will look at the Mothercare ones...
    CarQuake / Ergo Digital
  • Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
    43.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magnetic ones may fit the bill. And you can get them from Niche Locks.

Described in detail here - check your doors are thick enough to take them. They sell both single packs and multipacks.

They are a bit fiddly to fit but very discreet. I believe you can 'switch them off' if you don't need them any longer.

The downside is that you then have to keep the magnet which opens the cupboards in a safe place, but I believe it is designed not be a choking hazard - you might want to check this! Put one of the magnets in a safe place because I can vouch for the fact that it takes a very strong magnet to unlock them! (Someone put both magnets down inside the cupboard and shut the door ... fortunately ours weren't very well aligned and I managed to jiggle one door open, but it took several weeks or intermittent jiggling to do it!)
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • GladGlad Forumite, Board Guide
    18.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    we used this type from mothercare
    lasted through 2 children and then removed them and passed them on to friends
    STAY HOME - PROTECT THE NHS - SAVE LIVES
    I'm a Board Guide on the Money Savers Arms, Discussion Time, Wales, Competitions, Marriage Relationships & Families, Health and Pet Care boards. However, please do remember, board guides don't read every post. if you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    Compers please read the Comping Guide
  • robnyerobnye Forumite
    5.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    we used this type from mothercare
    lasted through 2 children and then removed them and passed them on to friends

oh my goodness.... I thought you meant the kids when i first read this :o
    ;D :P
    smile --- it makes people wonder what you are up to.... ;) :cool:
  • I am pretty sure we got ours from Mothercare (although not the ones mentioned above). You can turn them sideways so that they don't 'catch' if you want to.
    something missing
  • John_M_BusinessJohn_M_Business Forumite
    565 Posts
    ✭✭
    Thanks for all your help.

The Mothercare ones you've shown are similar to the ones that I already have, I am quite interested in the magnetic ones - they seem an innovative solution - if more expensive...
    CarQuake / Ergo Digital
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

17 Netflix hacks

Cut costs & get more from your subscription

MSE Guides

Beauty Advent calendar round-up

Incl M&S calendar release date

MSE Deals