Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • Esor
    • 12th Dec 08, 7:29 PM
    • 12th Dec 08, 7:29 PM
    This is an interesting one. Personally I have already bought myself a page to a day diary (only a couple of quid) as I used one all of last year and it really helped me to be more organised but I didn't this year and things have been a bit more chaotic. I've started cooking from scratch over the last few weeks and I intend to carry that on more in the new year, especially batch cooking and freezing as I am starting a new (albeit part time) job in Jan. Might not seem like huge things but these will be my things to build on.
    • ragz
    • By ragz 12th Dec 08, 9:02 PM
    • 3,153 Posts
    • 27,335 Thanks
    ragz
    • 12th Dec 08, 9:02 PM
    • 12th Dec 08, 9:02 PM
    I was hoping to find a thread like this as I have been making money plans for 09 recently.
    6 months ago my OH lost his job and had to build up a gardening business from scratch which left us really tight on cash, overdrawn and in debt to family, living totally hand-to-mouth and having to be really frugal. In the last few months we have finally got some things paid off, OH is working almost full time and thanks to tax credits and housing benefit we are now managing ok and actually have more money to spend now then we ever have done as a family. This still is not a lot really but to me we seem quite rich and I have been guilty of treating ourselves and the kids more and byuing better/pricier food, clothes etc just for the novelty of it!
    I have totally splurged on Christmas this year as we finally could buy presents and some nice foods so I am really looking forward to having some treats this year (when I was a child my family were REALLY poor, didn't even have electric etc - though we were in a caravan!) so I think I deserver it!
    Anyway, due to the current financial climate and the fact that we do still have some small debts top pay (and some of OH's old very big ones which will probably catch up with us one day!) and the fact that I would like us to have a holiday for once next year (only a week camping, but needs saving for as OH is self-employed so no paid holiday. Plus I expect we will have an income tax bill at some point so need to save for that.
    Once Christmas is over I plan to properly to the money calculator thing, save receipts and work out just how much we spend, then cut it down.
    First thing I will do is start meal planning better, bacth cooking more (when I learned to make better use of the space in my tiny freezer) and spend less on groceries. I am buying things we need for Christmas presents like walking boots and trainers for OH and a stereo for the both of us, nice ladies razor and a lovely jumper for me, stuff I couldn't justify buying for the sake of it and will save us money for a few years.
    We already don't really use a lot of gas and electric compared to a lot of people as I grew up without it so don't take things like lights for granted! But I will try to use my washing line whenever I possibly can rather than the dryer.
    Maybe sell a few things on ebay and even come up with a little money making idea of my own, at home with two toddlers so limited!
    I will set us a budget and make a savings plan, after paying off anything I need to, obviously.

Sorry, realise I have rambled for ages!
    Ragz is busy studying
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
  • fedupfreda
    • 12th Dec 08, 9:45 PM
    • 12th Dec 08, 9:45 PM
    New year OS resolutions?

1) Get some fruit trees in the garden, also raspberries and strawberries
    2) Carry on with making the homebrew
    3) Get (or obtain plans for making) a cheap apple press (cider - hic!)
    4) Get some backup lighting - either wind up lantern or paraffin lamp
    5) Save 10 a week - by Xmas 2009 I should have 500!
    6) Start keeping chickens

Oh, and its not particularly OS but I am concentrating on clearing 2k of credit card debt, so will be living as frugally as possible.

Look forward to reading other peoples ideas.
    SMILE....they will wonder what you are up to...........
  • Sarellie8
    • 12th Dec 08, 11:12 PM
    • 12th Dec 08, 11:12 PM
    This year my DD wanted to do a veggie patch in the back garden but due to moving house at the beginning of the year other things seemed to take over.

So 2009 will be the start of our own veggie garden. Never done it before and tips will be thankfully received.

PS - We dont have a very big garden but we do have quite a bit of hard standing at the top so was thinking of grow bags or large tubs??

Sarellie
    PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
    Sealed Pot Challenge #247 400
    DFW Nerd Club #956
  • jorichste
    • 13th Dec 08, 4:45 AM
    • 13th Dec 08, 4:45 AM
    my new year OS resolutions. I'm lucky to not really have to be os, but I would prefer to spend less on the everyday stuff and have more for treats.
    1 keep a spending diary ( and MAKE oh use it)
    2 carry on cooking from scratch, will have to learn some new recipes/techniques, chicke curry and chicken pie may get quite boring soon!
    3 try to reduce electric consumption
    4 keep persevering with the growing veggies, they are all starting to grow well now
    5 almost forgot this one, I am limiting the washing to 1 load per day. I think I have a washing addiction, I can find 3-4 loads a day if I'm home all day, quilts , pillows, covers, cushions, I'll wash everything in sight, but no more. If its not dirty its not getting washed
    Last edited by jorichste; 13-12-2008 at 4:52 AM. Reason: added number 5!!
    • halight
    • By halight 13th Dec 08, 5:52 AM
    • 3,587 Posts
    • 28,845 Thanks
    halight
    • 13th Dec 08, 5:52 AM
    • 13th Dec 08, 5:52 AM
    Hi,
    I will.
    Carry on with my growing my own veg.
    start up again my home made wine.
    i need to start cutting down on spending as our income is to drop yet again.
    do payment a day on my CC.
    carry on doing my online servays.
    loook to earn some extra income.
    You can have everything you wont in lfe, If you only help enough other people to get what they wont.
    • kiwichick
    • By kiwichick 13th Dec 08, 6:23 AM
    • 1,836 Posts
    • 2,828 Thanks
    kiwichick
    • 13th Dec 08, 6:23 AM
    • 13th Dec 08, 6:23 AM
    Lovely thread LALALADYBIRD x

My OS 09 Resolutions are as follows;

1-To take part in the Grocery Challenges.
    2-To start making HM bread again and convert the children to it!!
    3-To build the henhouse and get our 4 chickens.
    4-To wean my 3 young children off processed rubbish like chips and onto HM and eating veg other than just broccoli!!
    5-Take part in the savings challenges on the DFW boards were I have recently posted my SOA.

There will be more as I have time to think about them x

Al.
    WW Start Weight 18/04/12 = 19st 11lbs
    Weight today = 17st 6.5lbs
    Loss to date 32.5lbs!!!
    • Essex-girl
    • By Essex-girl 13th Dec 08, 6:46 AM
    • 3,478 Posts
    • 46,632 Thanks
    Essex-girl
    • 13th Dec 08, 6:46 AM
    • 13th Dec 08, 6:46 AM
    I love threads like this and this is one of my favourite things about this time of year that it feels like you can really make a new start in Jan.

Anyway these are a mixture of OS & MSE generally
    • Continue menu planning - this does make every day easier & saves so much money.
    • Will do regular shopping each week and really go for the grocery challenge
    • Have more regular baking days rather that the hit & miss of now, family do love the hm stuff & this will save more money
    • Have a couple of 'cheap' food nights each week - j pots/omelettes etc
    • Continue making bread and not buying sliced loaves
    • Spending diary
    • Get in routine with housework
    • Aim for more NSD's per week
    • Declutter house and list loads of stuff on ebay - if it doesnt sell then charity shop it.
    • Really plan out our veggie patch for maximum savings
    Think thats it for now but more will come Im sure.
    x

Thought of some more -
    • Use local butchers & greengrocers more - need to organise my shopping better so get in routine of maybe - meat, veg then the supermarket
    Probably will be back later to add some more again.
    Last edited by Essex-girl; 13-12-2008 at 12:12 PM.
  • Hardup Hester
    I need to take some photos over the Christmas hols so I can ebay some more items.
    I'm pretty frugal with food & nearly always cook from scratch so there aren't many savings I can make there.
    I shall start knitting scarves in January as they seem to be selling again, I also need to look for some new ideas & wools.
    I shall make better use of my raised bed that hubby built last year & grow more veg.
    I need to declutter my spare room so I can work in there more easily.
    I shall find out soon if I have a lodger from school in January, if not I need to advertise for one.
    I have also signed up as a dog boarder & hope to get work during the summer holidays as I only work part time then.

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
    • nickynoo08
    • By nickynoo08 13th Dec 08, 8:16 AM
    • 1,835 Posts
    • 17,030 Thanks
    nickynoo08
    I love threads like this. My new years os resolutions will be....
    • Make more food from scratch
    • Batch cook and freeze more meals
    • Continue with gc challenge
    • Grow my own herbs
    • Get myself into some sort of routine for cleaning my house!
    • Make birthday and xmas cards instead of buying
    • For xmas i might attempt to do some homemade gifts, i wanted to do some this year but time and patience got the better of me:rolleyes:
    I'm sure there are many more things i want to do too but its too early for my brain to function properly
    Debt 1 1111.23 0% until March 19 pay by xmas 0/1111.23
    Debt 2 2100 0% until August 19
    Debt 3 2161.86 0% until August 19
    Debt 4 1846.98 0% until December 19
    Saving for xmas 5/120
    1 debt at a time! We can do this!!
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 13th Dec 08, 6:42 PM
    • 5,786 Posts
    • 40,167 Thanks
    Caterina
    How inspiring!

Here are my few:

1- Seriously have a go at growing veggies - including sorting out the front garden into four "square foot growing" raised beds.

2 - Start baking again, for the pleasure of it.

3 - Before buying anything, pause and ask myself if this is really essential (and consider an occasional treat as an essential to avoid feeling deprived!)

4 - By end January, and this is VERY IMPORTANT, to have moved my office upstairs, have decorated the old office properly and have installed my DS in it as the office now should be his ex-bedroom.

5 - Wishful thinking: to give up sugar and refined carbs, eat only wholegrains, pulses and fresh veg - or try this as much as possible.

Enough for me so far!

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 13th Dec 08, 7:33 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    Well, the recession hasn't really hit us yet, but there has always been the possibility of OH losing his job -he works in the construction industry which is suffering like everything else. If worse comes to worse I can always go back to teaching (it'll have to be really bad before this happens though ), still at least it is a job that in unaffected by recession.

Anyway to help us through a potential sticky patch we're trying to build up a nice cushion of savings, to that end I am going to try to;

1) Stop buying cookery books -this'll be really tough for me

2) Stop buying unecessary food. I feel guilty about the amount of food I buy none goes to waste btw, but I always have the makings of several meals in the house yet still seem to fill up the carboot with food every Thursday. Part of the reason I buy unecessary food is to do with the cookbook habit -buy cookbook, see delicious recipes, make list of food to buy in order to make delicious recipes, buy food.

I could save pots of money if I stuck to these 2 resolutions.

My third resolution is the old favourite, and one I've never yet managed to stick to -Lose Weight. This is OS because it will result in less food being consumed and therefore wasted ('cos I don't need it) and because I want to do it in an OS way -ie not buying expensive healthy food but cheap healthy food. Maybe I stick my head round the door of the OS weight loss thread
    • ifonlyitwaseasier
    • By ifonlyitwaseasier 13th Dec 08, 7:42 PM
    • 2,787 Posts
    • 20,347 Thanks
    ifonlyitwaseasier
    thank you Lalaladybird,

1. get the veggies growing at my mum & dads
    2. cut back on unnecessary spending, me and Oh are both guilty of this, i'm going to cut back on magazines, i don't need them, i have the boards!!!
    3. probably move somewhere cheaper so we can pay off debts, more than likely to my parents, then we'd save a lot, would pay rent but wouldn't be anywhere near what we pay now.
    4. start getting crafty and re-use, reduce, recycle
    5. keep a proper spending diary and make sure hubby joins me in that.
    6. save at least 20 per month for next xmas and 20 a month for a trip out for our wedding anniversary.

i'm sure there will be more...

ioiwe x
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• bellaquidsin
    • By bellaquidsin 13th Dec 08, 8:51 PM
    • 1,087 Posts
    • 9,114 Thanks
    bellaquidsin
    Good thread Lalaladybird, to get us thinking. I don't usually do New Year Resolutions as I find they don't often survive beyond the first week in January. However next year is going to be different for us because DH is due to retire so it will be a new start in more ways than one. I have been planning for this for some time now and reducing our spending in many ways.

We had designed our garden for our old age and put a summerhouse over what used to be a veg patch so we could just sit and watch the flowers grow, but with the way things are we are going to be looking at ways to reintroduce vegetable growning into the garden.

Today I bought two gardening magazines as a special treat to give me some inspiration, so through the dark days of winter I will plan, plan, plan for the lovely veg we will grow. Don't shout at me, I know I could have got books from the library, in fact I probably already have all the information I need in the books I have in the house, but the magazines are topical and I needed a kick start.

So - New Year new veg, in fact started today by sowing mustard seeds for winter salads and will have a go at land cress started off in my propogater.

Am I wandering?
    Bella.
    A man's life consisteth not in the abundance of things which he possesseth. Luke 12 v 15
    • kippers
    • By kippers 14th Dec 08, 5:14 AM
    • 1,970 Posts
    • 6,035 Thanks
    kippers
    I think i need to have a 'to do' diary so i'm a bit more organised. I could write a list in it at the beginning of each day and try and stick to it! I could also write in the beginning of each month a list of birthday cards i need as i always forget these until the last minute and end of buying expensive ones from the local shops!

I may even put the coupons i collect in there so i don't lose them and if the diary is big enough i could use it for my food lists too.

BUT...in MSE fashion, i'll wait until the sales to find my diary
    • Blairweech
    • By Blairweech 14th Dec 08, 7:51 AM
    • 1,379 Posts
    • 16,273 Thanks
    Blairweech
    Here is last years thread if anyone needs any inspiration

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=648715&highlight=resolutions

I am big on resolutions. Well, making them anyway. Every year I faithfully make a big long list, say 'I'll only do one a month, then I won't get overloaded and give up' and what happens? Every year, by about March, I can't be bothered to carry on anyway

This year, I don't really have 'resolutions', more a set of targets that I want to achieve

So:

1. Live on 4000/year challenge
    2. Save 5000 towards a house deposit
    3. Get food bill down to 50/month - use oven space more efficiently, use the slow cooker with cheap cuts of meat in more
    5. Shop locally - stay out of the supermarket, and use the grocers and butchers.
    We must all suffer one of two things: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment
  • bullet
    To reduce food spending as much as possible
    To halve gas and electricity costs
    To make as many meals from scratch as possible.
    • Barneysmom
    • By Barneysmom 14th Dec 08, 9:47 AM
    • 9,464 Posts
    • 24,285 Thanks
    Barneysmom
    This is a good thread!

1. Keep up to date with my food spending diary, I've completely lost track this last couple of months!
    2. Don't just use the oven for cooking dinner, always make biscuits or bread or something else to fill the shelves!
    Barney is my border collie.
    • stefejb
    • By stefejb 14th Dec 08, 10:20 AM
    • 1,719 Posts
    • 18,997 Thanks
    stefejb
    Same as last year ....... cut down on Unidentified Frozen Objects by LABELLING
    I'm going to feed our children non-organic food and with the money saved take them to the zoo - half man half biscuit 2008
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,016Posts Today

7,048Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Oh if only one were brave/honest enough to say "my mental health" - in answer to the weakness question. I say this? https://t.co/RyihpzwPdY

• Been out with the little one, just got back and turned the #c4debate on. What have i missed? Who is winning?

• It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Follow Martin