Marks & Spencer complaint & a word of warning to all those who ordered yesterday.

Options
On the 6th Nov I placed an order with M&S on a day they had a sale on clothes, I had my order confirmed, etc., then 4/5 days later I had an email to say one of the items was no longer in stock and that this would therefore mean I would have to pay a delivery charge, not happy with the fact it took them 5 days to tell me an item was out of stock and that I would have to pay delivery I phoned them, the delivery charge was waved and I ordered another item, which arrived two days later. I was advised at the time the rest of the items were in stock and should be with me shortly.

A week later I emailed them asking when my order was going to be dispatched as nothing was showing yet online, I was advised it was due to be dispatched shortly and should be with me within 7 day.

7 day passed, no order received and no dispatch notification online or by email, so today I phoned them wanting to know what was happening with my order to find out the items are no longer in stock and basically that was it, she could try ringing round stores and see if anyone had them, but you could tell by her voice and her attitude that she wouldn't have even bothered, she said I could speak to a manager but conveniently none were available and they would call me after 6pm (I won't hold my breath) she was extremely rude and the tone of her voice basically spelled out "hurry up and get off the phone, who gives a stuff about your order". :mad:

I am so angry, all of the items ordered were Christmas presents for other people, I am also concerned now that an order I placed yesterday along with 1000's of others means nothing and that I may end up in 2/3 weeks time facing the same situation.

I am really disgusted that a company such as M&S could have the customer service and ordering facility no better than a back street street seller selling stuff from his mac or suitcase.

Any advice especially if the "manager" does phone???
~ What's for you, won't go past you! ~

Comments

• kez_s
    kez_s Posts: 802 Forumite
    Options
    Well they didn't phone back, so I rang them to be told the previous person had told me wrong and they have a department that deals with this and it's done on a rotation system and they may not call till tomorrow, she told me the person I had spoken to earlier had again adviced me incorrectly.

In light of what's happened and the nightmare I've been through, what should I expect from M&S, I basically want the items I ordered and was told 3 times were on my way to me and if they don't have them I want similar replacements but not at my cost. Do you think I am right to ask for that.
  • Ivory_Tinkler
    Options
    I had a similar experience with M&S last year. I placed a large order and it was completely screwed up. I got back what I was owed and ended up shopping in store. You might be as well to cancel your order and do the same rather than go through the stress!

That said, I am incredibly annoyed with M&S at the moment as they mailed me a 10% off voucher last week which I used. I then found out about the 20% off sale day but by then I'd washed some of the stuff I'd received and given one item as a birthday gift so I can't send the order back. I'm a regular M&S shopper so I felt very aggrieved as I felt that when they sent me that voucher they knew about the 20% off day but were just trying to rip off the regular customers.

I've emailed them with my opinion but got the most pathetic response back which didn't really address my complaint. So no more M&S Christmas shopping for me - there are lots of other stores who will be willing to take my money!
  • kez_s
    Options
    Well I am still no further, I can't go instore as the items I don't think are now available. I've not received the "promised" phone call so I rang them an hour ago to be told that I had received an email from them......er no I didn't, seemingly the order (that's out of stock) is being split so it get's to me quicker, when I queried this and said I was told last night you don't have any of the items.... "oh yes" was my response, so I am now waiting on a phone call from the manager who had noted on my account today to email me and that the order was being split.

I can't believe how awful there customer service has been, not one person knows what's going on - it's pathetic. I dread to see what happens when it comes to dispatching the items people ordered on the 20% day (myself included) I wonder if they will actually turn up or you will wait till 3 days before Christmas to be told your order got trapped in the system and we don't have any of it any longer - how it got trapped I don't know, enough of their staff confirmed it was all in stock and would be with me soon.

Arggggh.
  • kammyk
    kammyk Posts: 180 Forumite
    Options
    I ordered an Sony LCD TV from M&S recently, because there was a huge demand for the TV they ran out of stock. I received a call and was told they would upgrade my TV for FREE. to the next level up (more expensive version). They gave me an oppurtunity to look up the spec of the TV they were offering. The cheapest I could find the TV they were offering was about £1050! I only paid £500 and delivery was pretty quick too :)
  • kez_s
    Options
    Lucky you!!! Nice to hear someone got somewhere!

I can't even seem to find out if they have the items or not, no-one seems to know and I've still not had a phone call back. What really gets me is that it took 5 days to tell me one item was no longer in stock but ALL other items were, this was confirmed TWICE, by email and by phone. I've spent over 4 hours on the phone to them and on hold whilst they locate a manager, then they can never get one so one will call me back and then no-one does.

For a company such as M&S the right hand doesn't seem to know what the flipping left is doing, no-one seems to give a toss and I keep getting fobbed off - where on earth do I go from here?
  • SaraSeahorse
    Options
    it's annoying / frustrating but I expect the most you will get is a credit against a future order

save your phone bill and accept that consumer sh*t happens and keep your blood pressure down
    Baby Milk Action is a non-profit organisation which aims to save lives and to end the avoidable suffering caused by inappropriate infant feeding.
  • kez_s
    Options
    Well the manager called me back last night, he was appalled in the way I had been treated, couldn't understand why not one person could sort this for me, has got some of the items ready for immediate dispatch and those that can't be found he is going to check through other stores and if not they will sort something similar.

Also has given me his direct number so I don't have to go through customer services and will keep me updated with it all, so at last I am getting somewhere...... fingers crossed!
  • tomba_2
    tomba_2 Posts: 63 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I too am in dispute with M&S. Eventually bought a washing machine from them on 14/11/2008 on the promise of a 15% discount (£50.40...so not pennies!). They charged the full amount to my card on 18/11/2008, delivered it outwith the 4 hour scheduled time (i wasted a day off work) 10 days later, failed to show it on My Account in the website system, say they've no record of the order(!!!???), couldn't even find that model on their own website and have failed to respond to 14 e-mails from me since 18/11/08. I still have the e-mail promising me the 15% will be credited immediately but they are non-contactable. :mad: Customer Service??? A joke!!! NIL!!!
  • Monica41
    Options
    I was given an M&S gift card to the value of euro100 on Christmas day. Today in an M&S store I was told the card was worth £63.69, at a rate of £1 = euro1.57.

Surely this is a joke. Euro100 at today's rate is worth more like £97.

Why does M&S think it can get away with ripping off its customers by using such an unfavourable rate for its gift card conversions? I have emailed the company as I an interested to hear how they explain away their behaviour.

I may be wrong, but I assume that M&S can use what conversions they like for such cards. So all that's left for me to do is let them know I ain't a happy bunny. I would say I'd take my business away - but I'd end up naked!
  • donkeysol
    Options
    I don't normally bother with these forums but have such a ridiculously stressful month dealing with M&S that I thought I should warn anyone who is about to purchase something. Back in August I ordered an induction hob online, the money was taken from my account but after numerous phonecalls to different departments I could not trace my order, I was told that my order reference number was incorrect and that my name address and postcode was not coming up on the system. Finally a month after my order was placed, I was told that the item was out of stock and that I would have to accept a refund. My emails were not replied to and my phonecalls were constantly redirected to different departments. I accepted a refund but one week later was told that my hob would be delivered. A few days after this I received an email to say I had been misinformed and that my order would not be delivered.
    Two weeks later I received a letter from the delivery company asking why I had not responded to their efforts to contact me about delivery! I phoned the number on the letter and was again fobbed off and put through to M&S customer services who said they knew nothing about my order....!!!!!!!
    I do not have time for this rubbish. I am a busy mother of two toddlers who has just moved house. I just wish I had never started this.:mad::mad::mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure