PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Gingerbread men and other ginger bread recipes

Hi everyone, I'm after a recipe for gingerbread men. I've had a look in the recipes index and found gingerbread but it is a runny batter and not a dough. I'm sorry if i'm being really thick i'm still new to all this. :confused:
Thanks

Tina

Comments

• Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    This is one I've used before, gingerbread people, apparently its not pc to call them gingerbread men any more :confused: :rolleyes:

I uually bake them before decorating and then let the kids loose with icing sugar sprinkes and sweets.

Pink
  • Tina_D
    Tina_D Posts: 47 Forumite
    The recipe i have from Jeannette Orreys book is for a gingerbread loaf (should have read it through earlier) so I made that anyway and we'll have it later with custard or squirty cream for pudding. I'll try these other recipes over the weekend. Thanks gang I knew you'd come up trumps :j

Tina

:xmassign:
  • I was just about to do a search for a recipe! I want to make gingerbread men decorations for the tree tomorrow. Thanks!

:xmastree:
    New year, no debt! Debt free date - 02/01/07 :j :j :j :D
  • kabie
    kabie Posts: 537 Forumite
    I just have to add a link to delias recipe.
    I made some the other night and they were delicious: easy to make too; I made them into gingerbread snowmen. The last recipe I tried they were inedible : not sure what went wrong but probably my fault. I'm becomming a big fan of Delia though everything I've tried using her recipes has been great (fingers crossed).
    http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/gingerbread-men,1021,RC.html
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I think the gingerbread recipes in the index are for the cake type, which is indeed a runny batter before cooking, so you would need to find a biscuit version to make gingerbread men.

I haven't made them for years so don't have a recipe to hand, although I'm fairly sure there's one in the Bero book, so it may well be on their site too :xmassmile

Just checked and yes there is ... click here and select biscuits and cookies from the list on the right, and it's second from bottom on the left hand list.
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I was just about to do a search for a recipe! I want to make gingerbread men decorations for the tree tomorrow. Thanks!

:xmastree:

I use gingerbread men for decoration every year but found homemade ones don't last as long as shopbought ones as they soften too much.

One year, I tied tartan ribbon around their necks and used them on the swag over the mantle, only to come down one morning and find four of them 'garotted' and lying in the hearth - poor things!
    :snow_laug

I suppose I could try pva glue or something else but I would worry about the heat from the fire setting alight to them if they had chemicals or a varnish type thing coating them.
  • viccig
    viccig Posts: 262 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Im looking for a recipe to make 'squishy' gingerbread men, my kids don't like hard biscuits and like a soft texture, how would i achieve this? recipes i have tried in the past are always soft whilst warm, but as soon as they cool go rock hard... Any ideas?
  • melancholly
    melancholly Posts: 7,457 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    nigella lawson has a great recipe for gingerbread cake.... side-stepping the issue a bit though!
    :happyhear
  • tigs78
    tigs78 Posts: 539 Forumite
    This recipe makes lovely squishy gingerbread men...

1) 80g Margarine
    2) 2 tbs Golden syrup
    3) 60g Sugar
    4) 1 tsp of Ginger (powder)
    5) 1/2 tsp Bicarb
    6) 180g Plain Flour

Warm 1, 2 & 3 slighty and 'cream' together, sieve 4, 5 & 6 and mix in. Roll out. Gas mark 5 for 15 - 20 mins.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure