Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • swiftnick
    • By swiftnick 9th Dec 05, 1:00 PM
    • 187 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    swiftnick
    • 9th Dec 05, 1:00 PM
    • 9th Dec 05, 1:00 PM
    How about this one.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/gingerbreadfancies_3049.shtml

Nick
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 9th Dec 05, 1:13 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    • 9th Dec 05, 1:13 PM
    • 9th Dec 05, 1:13 PM
    This is one I've used before, gingerbread people, apparently its not pc to call them gingerbread men any more :confused: :rolleyes:

I uually bake them before decorating and then let the kids loose with icing sugar sprinkes and sweets.

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 09-12-2005 at 1:15 PM.
  • Tina D
    • 9th Dec 05, 2:00 PM
    • 9th Dec 05, 2:00 PM
    The recipe i have from Jeannette Orreys book is for a gingerbread loaf (should have read it through earlier) so I made that anyway and we'll have it later with custard or squirty cream for pudding. I'll try these other recipes over the weekend. Thanks gang I knew you'd come up trumps

Tina

• Alfietinker
    • By Alfietinker 9th Dec 05, 2:48 PM
    • 565 Posts
    • 545 Thanks
    Alfietinker
    • 9th Dec 05, 2:48 PM
    • 9th Dec 05, 2:48 PM
    I was just about to do a search for a recipe! I want to make gingerbread men decorations for the tree tomorrow. Thanks!

New year, no debt! Debt free date - 02/01/07
  • kabie
    • 9th Dec 05, 5:25 PM
    • 9th Dec 05, 5:25 PM
    I just have to add a link to delias recipe.
    I made some the other night and they were delicious: easy to make too; I made them into gingerbread snowmen. The last recipe I tried they were inedible : not sure what went wrong but probably my fault. I'm becomming a big fan of Delia though everything I've tried using her recipes has been great (fingers crossed).
    http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/gingerbread-men,1021,RC.html
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 9th Dec 05, 6:08 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    • 9th Dec 05, 6:08 PM
    • 9th Dec 05, 6:08 PM
    I think the gingerbread recipes in the index are for the cake type, which is indeed a runny batter before cooking, so you would need to find a biscuit version to make gingerbread men.

I haven't made them for years so don't have a recipe to hand, although I'm fairly sure there's one in the Bero book, so it may well be on their site too

Just checked and yes there is ... click here and select biscuits and cookies from the list on the right, and it's second from bottom on the left hand list.
    Last edited by Curry Queen; 09-12-2005 at 6:11 PM.
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Chris25
    • By Chris25 10th Dec 05, 8:52 AM
    • 12,776 Posts
    • 12,609 Thanks
    Chris25
    • 10th Dec 05, 8:52 AM
    • 10th Dec 05, 8:52 AM
    I was just about to do a search for a recipe! I want to make gingerbread men decorations for the tree tomorrow. Thanks!

by Alfietinker

I use gingerbread men for decoration every year but found homemade ones don't last as long as shopbought ones as they soften too much.

One year, I tied tartan ribbon around their necks and used them on the swag over the mantle, only to come down one morning and find four of them 'garotted' and lying in the hearth - poor things!

I suppose I could try pva glue or something else but I would worry about the heat from the fire setting alight to them if they had chemicals or a varnish type thing coating them.
    • viccig
    • By viccig 3rd May 06, 11:51 AM
    • 248 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    viccig
    • 3rd May 06, 11:51 AM
    gingerbread men
    • 3rd May 06, 11:51 AM
    Im looking for a recipe to make 'squishy' gingerbread men, my kids don't like hard biscuits and like a soft texture, how would i achieve this? recipes i have tried in the past are always soft whilst warm, but as soon as they cool go rock hard... Any ideas?
  • melancholly
    nigella lawson has a great recipe for gingerbread cake.... side-stepping the issue a bit though!
  • tigs78
    This recipe makes lovely squishy gingerbread men...

1) 80g Margarine
    2) 2 tbs Golden syrup
    3) 60g Sugar
    4) 1 tsp of Ginger (powder)
    5) 1/2 tsp Bicarb
    6) 180g Plain Flour

Warm 1, 2 & 3 slighty and 'cream' together, sieve 4, 5 & 6 and mix in. Roll out. Gas mark 5 for 15 - 20 mins.
    Last edited by tigs78; 04-05-2006 at 8:59 PM.
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 3rd May 06, 5:59 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    Serve them with a glass of milk and tell them to dunk

Thanks for your recipe Tigs,I've been looking for one without eggs
    • viccig
    • By viccig 3rd May 06, 6:58 PM
    • 248 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    viccig
    Thank you everyone (the thanks button has gone :confused: ) i made Tigs' recipe and they are fab! Really lovely thank you tigs the recipe was so quick and easy!!
  • mandy_moo_1
    This recipe makes lovely squishy gingerbread men...

1) 80g Margarine
    2) 2 tbs Golden syrup
    3) 60g Sugar
    4) 1 tsp of Ginger (powder)
    5) 1/2 tsp Bicarb
    6) 180g Flour

Warm 1, 2 & 3 slighty and 'cream' together, sieve 4, 5 & 6 and mix in. Roll out. Gas mark 5 for 15 - 20 mins.
    by tigs78
    This sounds lovely but do i use SR flour or plain?
    Thanx

• helen81
    which flour?
    I wondered that too! Also...havnt got any bicarb..can I skip it or replace it with something else perhaps? :confused:
  • mandy_moo_1
    i think its the bicarb that puts the 'cracks' on the top of the biscuits, but still don't know which flour to use.....anyone know? i wanted to make some of these at the week end cos they sound gorgeous.
    Off topic, what's happened to our avatars? and we can't click on the smileys anymore

• tigs78
    It's plain flour... Not sure what the result would be without the bicarb - can't imagine that it would make them taste nasty so why not just give it a go and report back!
  • mandy_moo_1
    thanks for letting me kno bout the flour tigs....gonna av a go this week end! x

• helen81
    Yeah thanks tigs, im gonna make em this aft minus the bicarb..if they turn out ok, i'll let my little lad help make some too
    • Zziggi
    • By Zziggi 5th May 06, 10:19 PM
    • 2,385 Posts
    • 2,234 Thanks
    Zziggi
    Just made some of these. Absolutely lovely and soft. Really were easy gingerbread men to make.

Thanks to the poster.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,625Posts Today

7,130Users online

Martin's Twitter