Here we can all be heard for a little while. Part 3

Options

Comments

• tea_lover
    tea_lover Posts: 8,261 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder guys. Have just checked my tariff and changed to a cheaper one.
  • Izadora
    Izadora Posts: 2,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mmmmmm, Thor!!!

I can't remember which film it was (possibly the first Avengers?) but I loved it when they were talking about whether he's a god or demi-god and someone's response was "Have you seen his arms?" :-)
  • Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Lambyr wrote: »
    Muscles not really my thing... :o

Aren't we all being forced to have smart meters eventually anyway? Seem to recall there was some government plan to make us all pay £200 for one! :eek:

It's an idea though but I've just had a major panic about the wiring in my house. My fuse box has grey, white and a green/yellow wire in it... looks like copper too... that's good, isn't it?

We have an old style fuse box and one of them blew recently - the one responsible for the household lights! I'm pretty sure it's a dodgy light fitting because my d-bag step-brother put it in there a while back and it's been nowt but trouble while the other lights have been fine, but then I've had a massive panic over whether we need to rewire because that'd be soooooo much aggro :(

I'm not replacing that fuse until I've had an electrician check everything out.
    We will all have to have them eventually, but at the moment, in my area anyway, they are trying to persuade you to go for one now. There was no mention of cost. I must have had half a dozen or more letters and leaflets about them.

I must admit, I don't like too much muscle on a guy. I find it threatening. Body builders, I think, are ugly. However, the Olympic people were mostly quite nicely muscled, just due to training, without being over the top.
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• onomatopoeia99
    Options
    Pyxis wrote: »
    If you enjoyed the spectacle of all those toned bodies in the Olympics, then the thread ladies, (some of them anyway! :D) , will need calming down after you've watched the rippling muscles in "Thor, The Dark World" which is on Monday, BBC1 at 8.30pm. ;)

You may all fight amongst yourselves over Thor :p Natalie Portman is more to my taste :D
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • onomatopoeia99
    Options
    We have an old style fuse box and one of them blew recently - the one responsible for the household lights! I'm pretty sure it's a dodgy light fitting because my d-bag step-brother put it in there a while back and it's been nowt but trouble while the other lights have been fine, but then I've had a massive panic over whether we need to rewire because that'd be soooooo much aggro :(
    Cartridge fuses? (like big versions of the fuses found in plugs). Those are fine for over current protection but you don't get residual current detection like on newer consumer units. So if it's blowing the fuse then that suggests a short , or too much load on the circuit.

The new fitting doesn't have a load of 100W filament bulbs does it? Back in the days before CFL and LED bulbs were common, it was much easier to overload the lighting circuit then people realised. For example, when I bought my first home I went round and looked at what the previous owners installed and realised that if I turned all the lights in the lounge on and a couple of other rooms as well, it would blow the fuse .:eek: Got rid of the ceiling fittings in the lound pretty quickly, there were two of them, each with 5 x 100W bulbs. On a 5A lighting circuit that left almost no spare capacity.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • onomatopoeia99
    Options
    Light fittings aren't usually that difficult to replace, and are not notifiable under part P of the building regs, which means you can do them yourself if you want to and can do it properly.

The problem people often have with the lighting circuit is that "fancy" light fittings often only have connections for three wires (switched live, neutral, earth), but the £1.50 ceiling roses that are the traditional standard fitting have approximately nine to cope with maintaining the lighting ring circuit. When they install a fancy fitting to replace a rose, they end up bodging the ring wiring, rather than wiring it properly (which often needs the addition of a junction box above the ceiling to make it all tidy and safe).

My suspicion is bodged wiring in / above the fitting shorting which is blowing the fuse , but it would need an inspection to confirm.

I actually like doing domestic electrics as it's simple and logical, it's plumbing I don't get on with.
  • Pyxis
    Options
    Lambyr, you might like that short robotics course, then! :)

Hahahahahaha! I've decided to sign up for it, as it said "Introduction To Robotics", even though I've no background/knowledge whatsoever in anything remotely like that! I did a tiny amount of physics in my OU Science Foundation Course, 30 years ago, and hated it! :rotfl:

I just thought it might be fun to try and get to the stage of building your own robotic thing!
    I'm hoping I can come up with a robot like Data in Star Trek! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

(Not really!)

But if it all becomes too much, I can just drop it and no harm done! :D

It's an experiment, really!
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox

• Pyxis
    Options
    Well I can't say the idea of building an army of weaponised enforcement droids doesn't appeal...

Did I say army of weaponised enforcement droids? I, of course, meant friendly group of home-help bots.

shifty-eyes-ani2faster.gif

!

I do worry about you sometimes, Lambyr, :rotfl: :D;)
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,750 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    And at the other end of spectrum I am watching Bake Off, which I've never watched before.
    I need cake. Wonder what happens to the leftovers?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Georgiegirl256
    Options
    I bet the crew like working on that programme! :rotfl: I'm watching it too, and it always makes me want to get baking again!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback