PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Meatloaf

Options

Comments

• r.mac_2
    r.mac_2 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    Options
    oh dear - i have just found this thread after having 'made - up' a meatloaf recipe!

went for a pack of mince, some breadcrumbs, milk, an egg, couple tablespoons of tomato sauce, brown sauce, mustard, salt and pepper and some dried herbs and some ground corriander for good measure all mixed together and squashed into a loaf tin.

hmmmmmm - hopefully it will at least taste ok :D
    aless02 wrote: »
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response :p
  • Clutterfree
    Clutterfree Posts: 3,678 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi All,
    Haven't made a meat loaf in years but have some steak mince in the freezer so thought I'd give it a go.
    In the past they have come out rather dry (although think I used a Slimming World recipe).
    I know there are probably lots of recipes on here, but I wondered if there was one recipe favoured more than the others by the OSers?
    Thank you.
    :heart: Ageing is a privilege not everyone gets.
  • Kentish_Maid_2
    Options
    I would be interested in this one - made meatloaf the other day and it was far to greasy for my liking. It was a Simon Rimmer recipe from the BBC Something for the Weekend programme. Love meatloaf though.

Bring on the suggestions:D

KM
    Joined WW again!! in November 2010 - four stone loss so far :T
    Back on the debt free wannabe wagon.
  • nfa_2
    nfa_2 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]This is one I've made quite a few times and it quite healthy. It does feed a lot of people so you may want to halve the ingredients.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 large onions, chopped[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 large celery sticks, chopped[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 large green pepper, deseeded and chopped[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]3 garlic cloves, finely chopped[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]900g/2lb lean minced beef[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]50g fresh breadcrumbs[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 egg white[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]black pepper to taste[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 can (about 400g) chopped tomatoes[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]4 tbsp tomato ketchup[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Preheat the oven to 180C. Lightly coat a 13 x 9 inch baking dish and a large non stick frying pan with cooking spray or a little olive oil.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Set the pan over medium-high heat and saut! the onions, celery, green pepper and garlic for about 5 minutes or until soft.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Transfer the veg to a large bowl. [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Add the beef, breadcrumbs, egg white and black pepper to the veg and mix with your hands. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Combine the tomatoes (with their juice) and ketchup in a small bowl. Add half to the meat mixture and mix again.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Transfer the meat mixture to the baking dish and shape into a 25 x 18 cm loaf, mounding slightly in the centre. [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Make a lengthways groove down the centre with the side of your hand. Pour the remaining tomato mixture into the groove. [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Bake the meatloaf for about 1 ¼ hours. [/FONT]
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I wondered if there was one recipe favoured more than the others by the OSers?
    Thank you.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: This one :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Have your Tena Lady handy :o

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I've been making this variation on Nigella Lawson's mini meatloaves (Nigella Express). My family love it.

Basically I left out the egg, replaced the A1 Steak Sauce with ketchup and made it as one loaf instead of mini ones. The sausagemeat makes it very moist -try to get good quality bangers ;)

1 lb mince
    1lb sausage meat (or peeled sausages)
    half -1 cup of finely chopped onion, carrot, celery, garlic and red pepper (I have this in the freezer )-or just 1 chopped onion
    3-4 oz porridge oats
    2-3 tbsp ketchup
    1 tbsp Worcester sauce
    salt and pepper

Squidge everything together. Place in a greased 2 lb loaf tin. Place tin in a roasting pan and fill up with water to about half way up the tin. Bake at 200c for about an hour.

Great hot with mash and veg plus gravy and delicious cold the next day wwith pickles and baked spuds. Makes a good sandwich filling too.
  • ifonlyitwaseasier
    Options
    i like adding some stuffing mix into my meatloaf,

pretty much just make it up add the mince, add some chopped veggies, season, mix together, chuck in a greased loaf tin and cook till it looks done.

nice for sandwiches the day after too :)
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• Chuzzle
    Chuzzle Posts: 625 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ave just read Mrbadexample thread as mentioned above and ds1 & hubby are puzzled at my sniggering!! tears rolling down my face, haven't laughed so much for ages, will ave to show me ma - she'd really appreciate it.

Going away to lay down and rest my sides now - although I think I'll still be giggling in my sleep!!
    Banana Lovers
    Buy your bananas in bunches of 5 on Sunday. Then arrange them in order of ripeness and write a day of the week on each banana in felt pen, Monday on the ripest, Friday on the greenest to save time making those decisions on a hectic weekday morning
  • traciekan
    traciekan Posts: 68 Forumite
    Options
    i make the french onion soup mix one. its gorgeous!
    http://www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?title=1290511940&channel=335994162
    have tried loads and this is by far the best
    i do 50 50 pork and beef.
    they freeze well as well wrapped in foil
  • champys
    champys Posts: 1,101 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for reminding me of meatloaf - haven't made one for ages! I like to put a few hard boiled eggs in the middle (saves on beef and looks good, too). I love slices of leftover meatloaf in my sandwiches with some ketchup or mustard.
    A variation on the classic meatloaf also very popular in this household is the 'megaburger'. It goes as follows: make meatloaf or burger mixture any way you like from any type of mince. Press it out into a large round tart tin. Bake in oven until done, drain off any fat. Next, top with sliced onion and red/green pepper you have sweated a little while the megaburger was cooking. Add sliced mushrooms, slices of mozzarella and some grated red leicester. A little chili powder if you like it hot. Grill until the cheese has melted (just like a pizza) and serve in wedges, with crusty bread and a green salad.
    "Remember that many of the things you have now you could once only dream of" - Epicurus
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure