Money Moral Dilemma: Should I charge my mum for using my gift card to buy present for my kids?

Options
MSE_Kelvin
MSE_Kelvin Posts: 341 MSE Staff
First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
edited 10 December 2019 at 5:02PM in Marriage, relationships & families
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...
I went Christmas shopping with my mum who was buying presents for my children. I gave her a gift card I earned at work for a shop she was buying in and I paid for everything else on my card. When she asked what she owed me I told her the full amount, including the gift card. Is that fair?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

:idea: If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

:huh: Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? [URL="mailto: mmd@moneysavingexpert.com"]Suggest an MMD[/URL].
[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• GreenQueen
    Options
    Yes, if the gift card isn't taken into account you are buying the gifts (or contributing the value of the gift card to them). If she is buying the gifts she needs to cover the cost (including the gift card).

Just think of the gift card as money that you could use to buy something for yourself.
    2021 - mission declutter and clean - 0/2021
  • LesleyJP
    Options
    Of course you should. It's your money and not hers.
  • Alevra
    Options
    How many times does your Mum buy you things without charging you for them? How often does she look after the kids for you without you having to pay? As a Grandma myself I know there are many things I buy that I don't charge for and I am not made of money, but I would appreciate the gift card being used as a contribution to the children's Christmas presents.
    If I were to put in childminding fees for the school runs, the after school time and school holidays then I would be able to pay for the gift card.
  • balabooberlies
    Options
    Blimey

I can see both sides,..........
    AKA : Bala La Boo & Bala Baloo

According to a lovely poster I am Bala the Brave who wrestled a Tiger.  You know who you are..... 

I HAVE A GOLD STAR and A MEDAL and a Title !
  • k-k-k-katy
    Options
    Speaking as another grandmother I have a different opinion. I should certainly expect to pay the full amount for my purchases, whoever they were for, and despite any help I am able to give my family. I do what I can to help, and yes, it does cost money to help sometimes, but that's my choice to make and I am happy to do it. I do not expect my family to pay for favours, and using their gift card would be taking a payment.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,761 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Perfectly fair. I'm failing to see the dilemma here.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Loulouli74
    Options
    I agree, i think if it wasn't too much money, you should let your mum off with the gift card, my mum doesn't so much for me and the rest of her family, if yours is the same, I'd say live and let live, shes family, xx
  • Rich2808
    Rich2808 Posts: 1,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is it ok for your Mum to recover all of her money she spent on clothing, feeding and housing you when you were a child.

Don’t be a tightwad - you only have one mum!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Of course it's fair.
    No dilemma here.
  • Zero_Sum
    Zero_Sum Posts: 1,567 Forumite
    Options
    If she doesnt pay for the cost of the gift card then the kids presents are from the parents & not the grandparents as intended. If it was say a nectar/clubcard double up thing & voucher was worth say £10 to get £20 of goods then Id only expect the original value of £10 reimbursed
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure