Options

Comments

• zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    jayok wrote: »
    I have never had a hike after I have got to the payment page

But you have to enter all the passenger names and select all your options before the card fee is added on Ryanair. That's what the new rules should stop. Easyjet include the admin fee as soon as you've selected your flight.
  • Moonchild
    Moonchild Posts: 802 Forumite
    Options
    Thankfully I booked last night.

I don't really fly them - but see they no longer charge debit card fees for any debit cards.But I did pay one (£5?) for this booking as did not have an Electron Card. And I though Electron cards were being removed from the UK.

Without passing judgement, would I be right in saying that the vast majority of the people in the UK will benefit from this? (that's not an invitation to flame me, but apart from MSE's here and regular flyers who get an account especially, would most people not just pay the normal, unjustified extra debit card charges?).
  • lfc84
    lfc84 Posts: 336 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Moonchild wrote: »
    I though Electron cards were being removed from the UK.

Well, Halifax have shown no intention of removing them and I work with people who have successfully applied and got one as recent as two month ago.
    Without passing judgement, would I be right in saying that the vast majority of the people in the UK will benefit from this?

Of course, that isnt the case. They are doing this to increase revenue.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    mad_rich wrote: »
    Actually, it wasn't particularly transparent to me.

I went to easyJet to make a dummy booking, wondering to myself how the admin fee would be represented (and rather suspicious that it wouldn't be clear).

I looked for a one-way flight and it gave the usual grid of prices. Underneath the prices was "An admin fee of £9.00 is included in the final price".

"That's good", I thought to myself, "they've already included the £9".

Of course they haven't. The £9 gets added when I click on a particular flight.

"An admin fee of £9.00 will be added to get the final price" would be more accurate. When they say "is included" it gives the impression that, erm, it's already been included.

Yes, but the total is displayed as soon as your flight is selected. I guess they could add on £9 divided by the number of passengers divided by 2 if return from the individual flight costs. But then you'd get people whinging they're charging single travellers more...
  • mad_rich
    mad_rich Posts: 868 Forumite
    Options

Without passing judgement, would I be right in saying that the vast majority of the people in the UK will benefit from this?

Anybody who normally pays the normal charges (not sure if that's the majority) will, I think, pay exactly the same as they did before*. £9 per booking + 2.5% for credit cards. It;s just that it will be called something else.

Anyone with an Electron loses out.

Nobody wins.

-
    * I can't remember what they were charging for a debit card last night. Wss it £9?
  • mad_rich
    Options
    zagfles wrote: »
    Yes, but the total is displayed as soon as your flight is selected.

Why do I have to select the flight to see the true price? It's not as if they need any more information to display it inclusively. It would be a trivial matter to divide this fee among the passengers.

I am whinging that they charge single travellers more. Well, not whinging, but pointing out that a cheap one-way is much less attractive with a fixed charge. Not that that has changed today.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If single travellers have a few flights coming up they can do them on one booking and pay just £9 admin fee.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Moonchild
    Moonchild Posts: 802 Forumite
    Options
    mad_rich wrote: »
    Anybody who normally pays the normal charges (not sure if that's the majority) will, I think, pay exactly the same as they did before*. £9 per booking + 2.5% for credit cards. It;s just that it will be called something else.

Anyone with an Electron loses out.

Nobody wins.

-
    * I can't remember what they were charging for a debit card last night. Wss it £9?

I think the old Booking Charge which has now gone was £8. That's now gone. So, yeh i'd be worse off. And perhaps everyone would be - can't get my head around the old charging structure!
  • jayok
    jayok Posts: 753 Forumite
    Options
    zagfles wrote: »
    But you have to enter all the passenger names and select all your options before the card fee is added on Ryanair. That's what the new rules should stop. Easyjet include the admin fee as soon as you've selected your flight.

I don't pay a card fee so what I see at the flight stage is what I pay
  • mad_rich
    Options
    can't get my head around the old charging structure!

Seems the old charging structure was:

- £8 per booking for all cards except Visa Electron
    - an extra 2.5% for credit cards (min £4.95)

So they've snuck an extra £1 on, and of course removed the benefit for Visa Electron holders.

Any guesses for when it will be a nice round £10?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure