MSE News: TSB starts paying out compensation for online banking outage

Options
A TSB customer who complained to the bank just a couple of hours after its IT meltdown started is thought to be one of the first to be awarded compensation - after being paid £40 this morning...
Read the full story:
'TSB starts paying out compensation for online banking outage'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• charlieboycat
    Options
    Just imagine how many complaints they must be receiving. If they're going to phone every complainant it's no wonder customers can't get through on the phone.
  • aj23_2
    aj23_2 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 26 April 2018 at 3:38PM
    Options
    People are just going to milk this. What did people do before online banking? Go to branch and pay your credit card with cash, card or cheque; post a cheque, or phone them and pay with a card. Simple.

Seriously, there is a life outside of online banking. There are still all the other ways of paying.

Complaining because you can't pay your credit card and get £40? There's no "can't" about it. She could pay it, via post, telephone or branch, but probably left it until the night before it's due so it shows a reliance on credit and not paying it back quickly. And as part of that £40 included £15 to cover interest on the payment due, it shows that she'd left it too late, which is why she was charged interest (not because of the checks, I mean, come one. You only get charged interest for being late).

And no replies about people being too busy to go to branch, make a phone call or writing a cheque in the post please.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,292 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    It was a different age before internet & mobile banking.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • HornetSaver
    HornetSaver Posts: 3,732 Forumite
    Options
    aj23 wrote: »
    People are just going to milk this. What did people do before online banking? Go to branch and pay your credit card with cash, card or cheque; post a cheque, or phone them and pay with a card. Simple.

Seriously, there is a life outside of online banking. There are still all the other ways of paying.

Complaining because you can't pay your credit card and get £40? There's no "can't" about it. She could pay it, via post, telephone or branch, but probably left it until the night before it's due so it shows a reliance on credit and not paying it back quickly. And as part of that £40 included £15 to cover interest on the payment due, it shows that she'd left it too late, which is why she was charged interest (not because of the checks, I mean, come one. You only get charged interest for being late).

And no replies about people being too busy to go to branch, make a phone call or writing a cheque in the post please.

I'd accept this rant if she was trying to get money off of the state, or if the company was simply doing business as usual within its T&Cs and within the outage hours advertised. TSB said the systems would be back up and running on Sunday at 6pm, therefore it was perfectly reasonable for her to make plans on the basis of making an online transaction on Sunday evening. Settling for £25 plus the interest cost seems a good deal on both sides, given the time spent by the account holders trying to be put back in the place they had reasonably expected to be in before the issue occurred.

The above all being true, this is a Moneysaving forum, and as a bit of a money geek I was considering switching my TSB account anyway for a switch bonus, and more strongly considering it this week. But with the interest going back up to 5% that might be a bit hasty.
  • Paul_Herring
    Paul_Herring Posts: 7,481 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The £40 was paid into Claire's TSB account just before noon on Thursday.

.. meanwhile, Claire is still waiting for bank's website to load to make sure it's gone in...

:D
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Site is mainly working for me and other family members now. The only small problems appear to be in printing pages outside the actual account. I made a FP and could not print that page, but printed a mini statement instead. No real harm and I am mightily releved: all payments appear to have restarted correctly.

It's been emotional.... :)
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • Mchambers
    Mchambers Posts: 1,054 Forumite
    Options
    Please remember that TSB will be making a big announcement when it has been fixed and is all up and working. I am not touching online banking until I see this announcement. It will mean more compensation money for me as well.
  • HornetSaver
    HornetSaver Posts: 3,732 Forumite
    Options
    Mchambers wrote: »
    Please remember that TSB will be making a big announcement when it has been fixed and is all up and working. I am not touching online banking until I see this announcement. It will mean more compensation money for me as well.

I take a pretty relaxed approach to it, given all the furore I think they might give something to everyone in which case I'll get something, and if not my interest has gone up so as long as my account hasn't been compromised I'm up. I'm not going to actively apply for compensation because I've suffered some inconvenience but no loss.

That said, if you're explicitly after compensation for inconvenience caused and intend to apply for it, making no attempt to use the account seems an odd way of going about it.
  • aj23_2
    aj23_2 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    Options
    I'd accept this rant if she was trying to get money off of the state, or if the company was simply doing business as usual within its T&Cs and within the outage hours advertised. TSB said the systems would be back up and running on Sunday at 6pm, therefore it was perfectly reasonable for her to make plans on the basis of making an online transaction on Sunday evening. Settling for £25 plus the interest cost seems a good deal on both sides, given the time spent by the account holders trying to be put back in the place they had reasonably expected to be in before the issue occurred.

The above all being true, this is a Moneysaving forum, and as a bit of a money geek I was considering switching my TSB account anyway for a switch bonus, and more strongly considering it this week. But with the interest going back up to 5% that might be a bit hasty.

But that's technology isn't it. If you're going to rely on online banking and deliberately not using other methods which are just as good (and in this case better) then you have accept that something can go wrong even when they say it will be back up and running. This isn't the flicking of a light switch we are talking about here.

I wasn't asking you to accept or dent my comment, or rant as you call it. I could care less. I'm just pointing out fact. Not TSB's fault it made her late for her credit card payment when she'd had nearly a month to pay by multiple payment options, even if it wasn't up and running when they said it would be. Maybe she should be more prompt and savvy.
  • WillPS
    WillPS Posts: 3,476 Forumite
    Newshound! First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I take a pretty relaxed approach to it, given all the furore I think they might give something to everyone in which case I'll get something, and if not my interest has gone up so as long as my account hasn't been compromised I'm up. I'm not going to actively apply for compensation because I've suffered some inconvenience but no loss.

That said, if you're explicitly after compensation for inconvenience caused and intend to apply for it, making no attempt to use the account seems an odd way of going about it.
    Mchambers is being opportunistic by choosing to hear a comment intended to assure that they'll make an announcement when everything is back to normal as being an instruction to not bother even trying to use the account until further instructed.

I'm not really too sure it'll mean they end up with a higher pay-out than whatever goodwill standard they decide upon. It's not like there is a formula for working out such payments which relates to the length of the outage.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure