Do you tip in restaurants?

Options

Comments

• ChrisK....._3
    ChrisK....._3 Posts: 920 Forumite
    edited 25 September 2018 at 7:16PM
    Options
    I sometimes going out with friends and this guy airways waits for us to put our share in which includes a 10% tip and then all he does is make the money up to the total price of the bill, so he ends up getting all the tips and I'm not quite sure how many times were going to go out before he feels guilty about it. Grrrrrrrr.
    victor2 wrote: »
    We were recently in a Harvester with a couple of friends and decided to split the bill over two cards, which the waitress took care of. I knew no tip had been added and realised the other couple were not intending to leave anything, so left a fiver on the table, being about 10% of the bill. The other bill payer asked why on earth I was doing that. OH put it better than I could by saying the waitress deserved it, we were regulars there, and always got good service.
    If I ruled the world.......
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    cjdavies wrote: »
    People will pay tips to the waiter/ess as it's meant for them for good service and good food.

Good service - waiter/ess
    Good food - chef/s

Yet the chef/s get nothing?!
    I've always worked on the basis that the price of the food should reflect the skill of the chef(s) - if the food isn't prepared correctly - send it back or complain. If it's of the expected quality - pay for it. If it's better than expected - say so to the management and if you specifically want to reward the chef(s) ask the manager to do so.

What about live entertainment? In my local (now-departed) Greek Taverna; I once passed the maitre d' (what's the Greek for that ???) an extra fiver asking to buy beers for the musicians as they were really good.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • Goldcrypto
    Options
    Always tip if good service/food. In the exception that a service charge has already been added, then will not tip. Also, if the optional service charge has been added (usually people miss that cunningly added, and just look at the total) but the service was poor etc, then I will tell the staff to print me another bill with the service charge added.
    'Wall Street is the only place that people ride to in a Rolls Royce to get advice from those who take the subway'

W Buffett
  • PorkPie06
    Options
    I tip when I've had really good service, tend not to do the 10% thing as I don't think me having a more expensive meal/drink means that the level of service improves. I usually go with a standard lump sum.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    awbr wrote: »
    I always have until I was in a Cafe Rouge the other day with the £3 Wuntu deal. Even just a £1 tip would have made it so much more 'expensive'!

I would have left a tip if the service was good. I sometimes tip when there is no bill - for free drinks on a cruise for example, or cloakroom attendants, or bell hops.
  • Lala36
    Lala36 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I tip when deserved!
  • Pfmariana99
    Options
    I agreed with you, I do the same!
  • warehouse
    warehouse Posts: 3,362 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I sometimes wonder if this is still a moneysaving forum.
    Don't tip.
    Pants
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I haven't read the whole thread but i feel very strongly about this.

I refuse to tip regardless of the quality of service. The way I see it is the cost of the starter/main/dessert itself is way more than the cost of the raw ingredrediants. And as it should be, because I am paying for the whole experience of being out in a nice environment, not having to physically cook or clear up myself etc. But part of that is also the service. So I see it as why on earth would I pay twice for the service - once in the inflated cost of the meal and once ina tip.

I have started avpiding restaurants that add it as standard and make a point of asking it to be removed if they whack it on.

I also fundamentally disagree with it being a percentage of the bill. Has my waiter gone to anymore effort just because my main cost £25 and not £12, or my bottle of wine £30 and not £18?

I was told by the owner of a London bistro that the ingredients represented about 25% of the cost of the meal.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    When I left school I got a job as a waitress in a Department store restaurant while I was waiting to go to University.

This was probably one of the hardest jobs I ever did. This was in the 1970s long before the minimum wage. We weren't paid much and were rushed off our feet especially in the lunch hour. It was hard to keep smiling when things hurt :(. We relied on tips back then. One really lovely man came in very often and always sat at one of my tables and always left me a big tip. He wasn't chatting me up as one of the other girls thought, he was my father :rotfl:

I always remember this job and will always leave a tip if service has been exceptionally good.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback