Do you tip in restaurants?

Options
1424344454648»

Comments

• SingleSue
    SingleSue Posts: 11,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I only tip for exceptional service or where someone has gone above and beyond to make us comfortable. I don't do a set amount, it's usually a couple of quid (although others on the table will also usually do a couple of quid each too). They are paid for doing the role, to the best of the their ability and with good customer service as a basic, I reward when they go beyond that.

I earn minimum wage, can only do restricted hours and despite being customer facing in the leisure/recreation sector, the only tips we get is the occasional banana or a cream cake (same customer, think he gets a cream cake for whoever is on so that he doesn't feel guilty about having one). We are still expected to give the customer the best customer service, with a smile on our face, being at their beck and call and making drinks when asked.
    We made it! All three boys have graduated, it's been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk - now having fun and games as a wheelchair user.
  • caseyblue
    Options
    I go out to eat very rarely, so it might be different from regular goers, but I try to tip the staff a bit extra. I live in a country where tips aren't expected, but I've noticed that even a small extra tip can really make a waiter's day.
  • DigSunPap
    DigSunPap Posts: 375 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I do like to leave a tip - but only if it has been earned. This doesn't mean the server jumping through all sorts of hoops for us, but simple politeness and the smooth running of the meal is all that is required i'd say. Then I would be happy to tip 10% minimum.
  • I've always worked in customer service often dealing with very difficult customers on not much more than minimum wage. I don't get tips nor would I expect to. I don't see why restaurant staff should get tips for doing their job, they should provide good service regardless as this is what they are paid for. I only ever tip if someone has gone above and beyond but eating out is so expensive anyway I don't feel like I should have to pay any extra.
    I agree, we don’t eat out very often either, mainly because there are 4 of us in the house and to go to a restaurant and eat meals that are nowadays around £16-£20 on average in the general high street restaurants it can be expensive especially if you add on drinks you could be looking at £85-£100 so with this in mind I sadly don’t tip, if however I had a pot of gold then maybe I would 
  • inmypocketnottheirs
    Options
    Yes, I agree with tipping.  I’m a big believer in trickle down economics and if I can spread the wealth with a decent tip I will, in return for good service.  
    Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.
    The Lord Giveth and the Government Taketh Away.
    I'm sorry, I don't apologise. That's just the way I am. Homer (Simpson)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback