PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old Style Weight Loss 2019 Part 2

Options

Comments

• SIRENS
    SIRENS Posts: 1,233 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Evening All

Are we weighing from this week or next? I've a small gain this week but I can sweep it under the rug if we're starting next week :cool:

I've been much better behaved this week and as it's my Saturday work I should manage to keep to plan for most of the week, who'd have thought work would be a good thing?!

Rose wood glad you are feeling better

Cranky your friends sound like an ungrateful bunch, I'm not surprised you don't want to spend your birthday with them, spend it with people who appreciate you and make you happy.

Not sure if it was the clocks going forwards but I've had an awful struggle getting up for work everyday this week, usually I wake up before the alarm but I've hit that snooze button countless times this week. Day off tomorrow so I don't have to get up til 7 thank goodness. My ankle feels much better so hope to get back to my c25k next week, think I might have to redo week 4 to ease into it again.

B porridge, fruit, dash of milk tsp maple syrup
    No lunch as working overtime till 3 so banana and a cereal bar on the train home
    D made the Nasi Goreng from the pon book (dd request) it was very nice
    Might have a yoghurt later
    'You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose' - Dr Suess

OS
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,778 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 4 April 2019 at 8:39PM
    Options
    SIRENS I think that the general consensus was take a starting weight this week with a view to reporting a weight loss next week. Make absolutely sure your ankle is better - maybe even just start with a fast walk. I ran on my pulled muscle way to soon, hurt it even more and then of course it took even longer to heal. As to my so called friends, I've come to the conclusion that they're not. I have enough good friends to survive without them :)
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm another one whose glad to not start counting until next week, I popped on the scales yesterday and :eek: so rather than comfort eating afterwards I'm trying desperately to stay away from temptation. It can definitely be a vicious circle of eating, feeling mad at yourself and then eating again to try and make yourself feel better, If that makes sense, I definitely sabotage myself usually when I doing well and the weight is coming off.

I'm currently sitting trying to avoid raiding the kitchen as I'm not hungry but fancy something sweet, I've also brought the pinch of nom book having flicked through a colleague's so I may go through it and menu plan Maybe in bed. I've seem a lamb shank recipe which I may cook for my sister on Sunday as I have a couple in the freezer

Today's food hasn't been too bad so far

B - the colder weather has meant I'm back on the porridge and banana
    L - sweet potato, butternut squash and pepper soup from the freezer with some crackers
    D - gammon, bubble and squeak, runner beans and asparagus
    S - grapes and orange - one mini gin and tonic favour white chocolate egg which I can tell you are favours which shouldn't be mixed a waste of gin and chocolate _pale_ I was happy to leave the rest of them to my colleagues
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • Rose_Wood
    Rose_Wood Posts: 867 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Everyone

A late one from me. I normally babysit on Thursdays but the family are off on holiday tomorrow so I worked instead of DDiL so she could finish the packing. I hate it when they all go on holiday, though I am pleased for them I miss them all so much.

I've had a busy day. I played tennis this morning and went running with my friend this afternoon. She has been ill so we've had a week off but decided to see if we could manage Week Four of Couch25K rather than repeat week three. We did manage it so were really pleased with ourselves. As I walked to various venues over the day and took DGD to school first thing I've easily managed my step target - in fact I've done over 26,000 steps for the day. Eating hasn't been quite as good as I succumbed to a chocolate treat at work!

Breakfast: left over toast and scrambled egg from DGD's breakfast.
    Lunch: Smoked salmon and cream cheese with cheese, egg, spinach leaves, avocado, tomato and cucumber.
    Dinner: Scallops and prawns in garlic butter with peas. Peach slices with cream.
    Treats: Custard cream, Malteaser Rabbit

Rose
    Weight Loss Challenge 5/7/19 10st 6lbs
    Target 8st 12lbs

Daily Steps Challenge 16,000
    Average daily steps: January 19,317, February 19,449, March 20,330, April 22,026, May 20,412 June 15,690
  • ellie99
    ellie99 Posts: 1,551 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Oops, I completely forgot today was Friday! I meant to weigh in on Fridays, but I've had breakfast now so will do it tomorrow instead.

Perhaps that's a good thing, as I had too much to eat yesterday. Would have been okay if I hadn't had a big portion of my Mum's apple crumble. Will do better today :)

If you could live one day of your life over again, which day would you choose?
  • katiepants
    katiepants Posts: 184 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    So yesterday wasn't the best, however it definitely could have been worse. It was 2 people's birthday, and our team meeting in the office, so there was cake/brownies/biscuits/chocolate galore. I did succumb to the temptation, and scoffed a creme egg, 4 small brownies, 3 flapjack bites and 4 mini cookies, but I did stop there and still went to the gym after work. Typically what would have happened is I would have given in to everything and even stopped at the shops on the way home to buy more junk.

In total, the sweet treats came to about 6-700 extra calories (not even as much as a pub meal and pint), where as a normal binge could easily be 2000+. Considering I'm aiming for a calorie deficit, the worst that happened is that I broke even. Today is a new day and I'm feeling positive.
    Sealed pot challenge 11: number 594
  • Izadora
    Izadora Posts: 2,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Cranky Sorry about your ungrateful friends. Even when you know you're better off without them and have genuinely lovely people around you it's still a disappointment when you realise that people aren't who you thought they were.

Brambling I definitely understand what you mean about the vicious circle of comfort eating. What I don't understand is why, when I'm fully aware of the regret and self-loathing that are bound to follow, I still do it.

Rose I hope that you're not too much at a loss with your family away.

Katie Well done for not giving into temptation on the way home and still going to the gym.

I've been logging everything via MFP this week and have had between 1,100 and 1,500 calories each day yet was still heavier this morning than I was on Monday. I've somehow managed not to do my usual and say "s0d it, if I'm not losing weight when I'm trying then I may as well give up and eat a mountain of crisps and chocolate" yet but it's really, really hard.
  • MrsLottie
    MrsLottie Posts: 128 Forumite
    Options
    Brambling I too get trapped in the vicious circle of binge ! It’s always for something sweet and usually when I’ve just eaten a well balanced meal .Once started I find it hard to stop,even when I’ve ceased to enjoy whatever I know I shouldn’t be eating . Then I feel cross with myself and have to make a massive effort to tell myself to put it behind me and carry on .That is why I make such slow progress but I realise I must be getting better at control because the weight is coming off albeit very slowly .

Cranky it’s hard when friends are not what you hoped they were perhaps we shouldn’t always think the best of people and then be disappointed when they don’t measure up. Glad you’ve decided to give them a wide berth and stick to genuine friends.

Izadora I’m glad to see to are managing to keep going and I’m sure your loss will show very soon if you keep you’re spirits up .
    Katie well done for going to the gym and realising that the treats coul have been much worse.

Rose don’t let missing the family affect your super exercise regime and your healthy eating - they will be back before you know it. I too feel an empty space when mine are away .

Hope we all keep working on our healthy eating through the weekend ready for our weigh ins next week .
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,778 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Izadora wrote: »

Brambling I definitely understand what you mean about the vicious circle of comfort eating. What I don't understand is why, when I'm fully aware of the regret and self-loathing that are bound to follow, I still do it.

I've been logging everything via MFP this week and have had between 1,100 and 1,500 calories each day yet was still heavier this morning than I was on Monday. I've somehow managed not to do my usual and say "s0d it, if I'm not losing weight when I'm trying then I may as well give up and eat a mountain of crisps and chocolate" yet but it's really, really hard.

I've stopped calling it "comfort" eating because it doesn't comfort me, it makes me fat and miserable. I refer to it as emotional eating now and somehow that gives me a bit of a better handle on it - like I can deal with my emotions properly or I can eat them and make myself really miserable instead of just moderately miserable/fed up/whatever.

Before the end of the challenge I had 3 STS weeks where my eating wasn't that bad. The final weekend of the final week was however very bad and by the time I weighed myself Monday morning this week I was 14st 9lbs which reduces the total loss of the previous challenge to a grand total of 2 lbs. I have messed about with the same half stone for 4 months now so I've taken myself in hand this week but.....the running makes a difference. When I pick it up after not running for a while (like from October to January) I always gain or stay the same for the first 3 weeks. Funny things our bodies. It's to do with water and muscle repair.

katiepants well done on enjoying treat day without carrying on treating yourself in private for the rest of the week. A real triumph.

MrsLottie I often have the sweet craving after a meal. I think it's something to do with insulin response. I'm learning to fight back and tell myself that if I keep my treat until supper time I'll enjoy it more. It doesn't always work but it's good to be aware of it and try to fend it off.

Rose Wood on 26 000 steps I don't think you need to worry that much about the chocolate bunny. I hope your family's holiday time passes quickly for you.

Take care all of you :)
  • Izadora
    Izadora Posts: 2,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    CRANKY40 wrote: »
    I've stopped calling it "comfort" eating because it doesn't comfort me, it makes me fat and miserable. I refer to it as emotional eating now

Thank you, I'll try to remind myself of that the next time I reach for a chocolate bar instead of dealing with whatever's upsetting me.

And thank you for letting me know that you tend to STS/gain with running. It'll help me not panic and realise that if I keep on doing what I'm doing then I should see my weight go down at some point.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure