PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2008 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ska1982 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I was just wondering how much other people in a similar position spend on groceries? There is just the 2 of us + 1 (fussy) cat, we seem to be spending about £55 - £65 / week on groceries. We do get supermarkt own brands, go with a list etc. but still ...

Sorry if this has come up earlier somewhere, had a quick look around and couldn't see any..

Thanks!
    Hi, We are now 2 adults, 1 DS (14 months) and cat, but prior to having DS we were in a similar situation to you. TBH what we spent varied quite a lot, we were in a position where we could spend more as both worked FT and no kiddies (although I did try to save most months!)- I think it varied from £40 per week to about £55-60 some weeks. This was about 2 years ago though so prices were a bit less obviously. With hindsight it was quite a lot, and we probably did chuck out too much. Then we could afford it though (did not spend more than we could afford) and did not spend a lot on other treats (I like cooking and we ate nice food). Now we actually spend less, and I think could survive on even less than we do if we really had to.
    Basically its a personal thing though and I think the idea is to reduce spending to a realistic level you are comfortable with, coming down in steps. Not sure if this is any help or not :rolleyes: .
    x
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• Sian_the_Green
    Options
    Hi Ska1982, it seems to really vary per person, I am on my own and was hoping for £100 a month which is £25 a week but lots of people have much lower budgets. Seems like the way lots of people do it is to record everything you spend the first month and then from there to just cut off say £10 a month and see how you go. Or have a look at your receipts and work out where your big expenses are and try and reduce them, lots of people have been talking about cheaper ways to wash your clothes and cheaper cat food and there are tonnes of recipes so you can make your own bread etc and save some money.

Hope you choose to join in, it's very addictive and can have really positive results
    God is good, all the time
    Do something that scares you every day
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    russetred wrote: »
    On Sunday we went out foraging for wild mushrooms and found loads of ceps,hedgehogs(not the animals!) and chanterelles.The midges were wild though and I reckon I have over 50 bites.I made wild mushroom and garlic soup with chicken stock left over from the Sunday roast.We had it for lunch today and it was amazing,almost worth me clawing myself to shreds with my midgey bites.Mr russetred is out to collect some more this afternoon.....note I'm not going with him!:rotfl:
    Avon 'Skin So Soft' body spray is highly recommended as a good midge repellent. hth
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks to a tip from a lovely helpful user on here ;), I have found a good veg shop near my work.

Today have bought:

15 red peppers (these are on offer in MrT for 50p EACH = £7.50's worth)
    10+ small bananas
    bag of carrots
    bag of apples
    bag of red onions
    10 tomatoes
    some green beans
    2 aubergines

All for under £10 :D:D:D

Gonna be busy roasting, chopping and freezing peppers tonight though :D
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Options
    ooohh Russetred,,,

Just the person ;)
    I have just mentioned over on weezles thread about being interested in going on a foraging course when we move back to the uk.. have you been on one?? or can you recommend a good "idiots guide" to "not poisoning your hubby when foraging ":o :rotfl: .... I can recognise blackberries and elder flowers/berries...ooh get me.. i will be giving Bear Grylls a run for his money :D
    I could send you my hubby... you could teach him..plus if you take him the midgies won't touch you ... they love him :rotfl: . He has fits because we can both be in the garden and all the bugs go straight past me..but eat him alive :confused: :rotfl:
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • princess_leia_3
    Options
    :j:j:j Woo hoo I had a NSD as I really considered the 50p stuff and thought I would get it later in the week when I am going to need tomatoes, as I don't actually NEED any of it yet :rolleyes:
    So I went out on the nursery run without my wallet and refused to go into Mr Ms with my mum :rotfl:
    I am so proud of myself as I know I would have bought more than just the 50p stuff too :rolleyes:

We have got mushrooms and pasta with a white herbu sauce tonight (depends on what herbs I fancy) and some spinach thrown into mine and I can then whizz some spinach up with breadcrumbs to make the hulk nuggets for the kids I saw posted on here the other day :T:T
    Sealed pot Member target £200 - No. 151
    GC Yearly £3k so far £1097 May£220/£300
    £1k in 100 days so far - £235 :p
    Snowball debt free calculator says DEC 09 - lets hope we can do it!

• ShelBell
    ShelBell Posts: 502 Forumite
    Options
    BigMummaF wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about the poorly pets...surprising how they have such an affect your life isn't it?

QUICK HEADS UP! MrT had frozen lambs liver @ 47p...:rolleyes: I read it finishes tonight. I would have got more than the two packs I did, but there's nowhere to put them :o

I opened the wrong tub of soft cheese this morning for the offspring's lunch box, so I'll use that up to make a white sauce for the chicken lasagne we WERE having last night but didn't...:j something working in my favour for a change:j ...And can anyone remember the recipe that uses packets of pasta in various SIZE=1]dried[/SIZE sauces plus cottage cheese I think :confused: I wasn't convinced it would be something we would eat so didn't copy the recipe at the time, but got the pasta at a really good price. We eat cheddar with no probs; 1 has the very occasional ham, phillie & pineapple sarnie for work; & I want to try to use a 'healthier' cheese when I cook. I'm counting on you guys:D to help me out please!

Yesterday's spends were £7:59 in MrT + 69p in Wilkos.

whats the recipe for white sauce made with soft cheese? would be interested in trying that! Thanks :D
    Weight loss to date - 8st 13lbs :j
  • ska1982
    ska1982 Posts: 62 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Orkneystar and Sian the Green for your feedback! Will try reducing by £10 / week and see how that goes. Am on a mission now!
    CC [STRIKE]2771[/STRIKE] 1419
  • SavvyStudent_2
    Options
    ska1982 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I was just wondering how much other people in a similar position spend on groceries? There is just the 2 of us + 1 (fussy) cat, we seem to be spending about £55 - £65 / week on groceries. We do get supermarkt own brands, go with a list etc. but still ...

Sorry if this has come up earlier somewhere, had a quick look around and couldn't see any..

Thanks!

Hi Ska1982 - it's just me and the bf in our house - we used to spend £50 a week and since starting the challenge I've reduced that to £30-ish, which we really needed to do! We do buy pretty much everything value range though lol. Other than gastric banding I don't see how we could reduce it much further... ;)

On the washing front - how many washes do people tend to have to do per week? I literally have to do 6-7 loads to get through all the bfs stuff. I don't understand how he does it! More man clothes seem appear in the laundry basket than its possible to wear in one week lol. At the mo the pile is nearing the roof...!

NHS student finance is stressing me out today! Big balls up with last years funding <sigh> I now owe them thousands of pounds back because of one wrong code uni put on my re-enrollment form! Last thing we need in this house!

Lxx
  • bails
    bails Posts: 3,196 Forumite
    Options
    Ooh, Bear Grylls!:heartpuls Thanks for bringing him up Mrs M, he's my hero :o

Maybe a little foraging book would be the way to go? Think Collins do one, although I think Weezl's thread has some recommended ones. Or borrow one from the library, but only if you have a good memory :rotfl:I hope to do lots more foraging next year (only done nettles, raspberries and blackberries this year) so may take my own advice ;) My dad gets yummy wild mushrooms from somewhere, must ask him as they're beautiful stuffed!
    The 1,000 Day Challenge:
    Feb 16, 2016
    500/30,000
    1.67%
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business