PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• wort
    wort Posts: 1,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Dgson wasn't supposed to be here so I didn't defrost anything.
    Then he text said they were staying home could he come, so I picked him up on way home then we nipped for an Indian takeaway, Balti chicken bhuna and pilau rice and poppadoms. Yogurt with raspberries in and seeds.
    Going to read Harry Potter now.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 31 March 2018 at 8:47AM
    Options
    wort wrote: »
    .... nipped for an Indian takeaway, Balti chicken bhuna and pilau rice and poppadoms. ...
    I was just thinking that what I need is a good indian takeaway.... trouble is I've not found one locally that does a good one.

You know when a particular dish has a very specific taste you like - and if it's any different it's wrong/not right and annoying... well all the local ones here are like that with my favourite. I've tried 3-4 so far... and then you wonder how much further you can drive to try more/further just in case you find "the one"

Annoying when that happens. Biryani's my thing :)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    :eek: I avoid basa, catfish farmed in appalling conditions. Stuck with it now:(

Oh heavens what a personal disaster:eek:, I never but never buy or eat basa, it is grown in the most awful and insanitary conditions in large pens in vietnam, china and cambodia. It is often smartly packed and labelled as `fish` and you have to look at the small print to see that it is basa

small nice pudding-like breakfast eaten, bit granola/hemp/walnuts/bottled gooseberries/hm yogurt. I have 2 eggs out of the fridge and will have a mushroom omlette later. Lunch will be soup first then a meat and several (catching up) veg. Last meal also called tea, easy peasey, cake, crispy toast

Afternoon I will have a berry/apple crumble without topping. Not much crumble, only enough for a bit of texture.

Cosy sleep in bed last night but I had to turn the house heaters on late afternoon, I was getting too cold. I feel like currant buns after all the above posts but have enough cake in the freezer and will wait, later next week I will make those buns. I have scones in there and have ordered cream with my veg box next week, yummy jam and cream scones are ahead and what a treat they are
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    I'm still full of cold and so groggy. Had 3 flu powders yesterday - and breakfast this morning has been one of those and I'll have another one in a few minutes.
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Pn that's so true not all Indians are alike, I can get aloo saag I one that has a wonderful smoky taste it's amazing, I wish they all did it.
    I like spicy curries usually, dgson does too so we share one. He like you is full of a cold sore head and stuffed up nose. I hope he doesn't share it! I hope you're feeling better soon PN.
    I've just had some toasted spicy fruit loaf as dgson had hot x buns for breakfast.
    It's looking dull , I wanted to do some washing and peg out so will give it an hour to see if it improves.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,229 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Dull day, I may do some garden tidying as weather seems to be brightening. Certainly not venturing out to the shops where I assume some are piling trolleys high just 'cos it's a holiday

I must confess yesterday's YS smoked basa tasted just fine, and if I did not know what it was I could have really enjoyed it

On a brighter note, the YS pork shoulder has turned out excellent, with crispy yummy crackling. I had to sample a slice last night, just to check of course

The hot X buns have also been sampled, tried toasting one, but cremating would be a better description. I used the toaster & not the grill, lesson learned, turn the browning control down from charcoal:o

Breakfast was porridge, this time with a sliced banana, HM yoghurt & FMS

Lunch, just has to be a roast pork sandwich, decision needs to be made later, HM chutney or piccalilli? Chutney probably, I have an HM apple based one

Dinner, so far on track for a full roast jobby using the pork
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Farway wrote: »

Dinner, so far on track for a full roast jobby using the pork
    In this part of the world that's a phrase that would get you some very strange looks :eek::eek::rotfl::rotfl:

Good morning everyone,
    It's absolutely baltic here with an icy, icy wind. The sun is sort of shining though.:)

The kids made a lovely tapas-style meal last night- squid & chorizo, fried gnocchi with a tomato/chilli sauce and greek salad. It was lovely though definitely not CFO and there's no leftovers.

They are out and about again today seeing their Dad so I'll get some quiet time and can start some of the food for tomorrow. The gravlax was put together last night so hopefully that will work well:).

I've no idea what I'll be eating today:cool:
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 31 March 2018 at 11:04AM
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    I never but never buy or eat basa, it is grown in the most awful and insanitary conditions in large pens in vietnam, china and cambodia.
    Basa is also sold under various names such as River Cobbler. You should hear our fish man going on about it! Wouldn't touch it. But that also goes for farmed salmon. There was a TV documentary about it a while back. Even pristine looking salmon farms in Norwegian fjords are not what they seem. https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/apr/01/is-farming-salmon-bad-for-the-environment
    Had to go into town to pick up some fuel this morning so I quickly ran round the Easter jollifications in a biting cold wind. Came back with some chorizo and plants from the grocers, some whisky marmalade from a stall and a soft Buzz Lightyear toy from the charity shop - for the dog. Have just scoffed the last half of a chocolate orange. Sigh.... They taste different and are half the size of the ones of my youth. :(
    I might nibble at the chorizo but it's mainly a non meat day. Fresh laid free range eggs from the farm opposite and some fried haloumi cheese later.
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    I love taxing the car online.

Years ago you had to find/dig out your valid insurance, find/dig out your current MoT, get your cheque book, then get down to a post office that sold tax discs (while they were open), then park and queue and hand it all over, then get the disc, come out, try to tear off the edges without ripping it in half and get it into the tax disc holder.... and home again. Usually restricted to only Saturday mornings as you worked full-time in the week so couldn't get to any relevant Post Office.

Now you can leave it to the last minute and type some numbers onto the screen, job done!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I am always changing my mind about lunch and now have veggies roasting in the oven, onion/courgette/sweet potato and I have pesto topped cod ready to bake. I wanted to get the veggies into me without potching all day, so made a veg juice and quickly cleaned and dried the equipment. I am taking my soup right now, I like lunch early. 10 so far and the crumble will make it 12, easy to make it add up via juice and roasted veg
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback