Tandem Bank credit card woes

Options

Comments

• djjd70
    djjd70 Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I can't rate the Tandem credit card and service highly enough at the moment.
    - application was easy and quick
    - card arrived in 4 days
    - app works fine (am only using it to view credit card balance)
    - love the fact that you can see transactions immediately, no waiting 2 or 3 days for purchases to show, so you know exactly what you've spent at any point in time
    - message sent when card used, which feels useful in case of fraudulent use

Well worth getting I'd say.
  • Harrypods
    Harrypods Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    I've been a Tandem user for a few months now. Generally it's great to have a Mastercard with cashback. I favour my Amex as my wife has one with 1% CB, but for all the smaller shops that won't take Amex, the Tandem works great.

It does give you instant app notifications when used, which is great and gives that little extra reassurance.

I do find it frustrating for two reasons, both "first world problems":

1. There's no Apple Pay support, so you have to carry/use the card physically.
    Probably fair enough, as they're likely losing enough money with their 0.5% CB, let alone paying Apple their percentage too.

2. They are not supported by aggregation services like Spendee, Moneyhub, Moneybrilliant, etc
    Now. this IS a pain for me. I use Money Brilliant to aggregate all my cards and accounts into one online portal, mainly because it allows me to have multiple cards and use the most suitable one at any moment (eg. highest cashback that's accepted), and not even worry about which one I'm using as it all gets tracked and categorised in one place. So - now I'm using Tandem several times a day, and it's not supported, it means I have a huge gap in my visibility as to how much I'm spending and where it's going.

I looked into this at the time, and Tandem actually bought the banking licence off Harrods Bank. This bank did appear on my aggregation service (Money Brilliant) for a while, and I could connect it and see my Tandem transactions in it, but this has now disappeared.

Money Brilliant, and many other such aggregation services like Spendee, etc. use Yodlee, a big account aggregation collection/reading service that all these money management apps use on the back-end to read from your bank/card accounts.

Yodlee can read almost ANYTHING - they can even pull my pensions, premium bonds, brokerage account, etc - but they can't read Tandem, any more, which gives me the feeling Tandem are either transitioning from the old Harrods Bank platform to a new one which Yodlee will eventually support, perhaps as part of upcoming Open Banking, or they're keeping investment in ancillary services very minimal, which might end up being frustrating in many ways.

Either way, at the moment it means I can't use my normal method to review/track my spend, which makes the few pounds a month I make from cashback not worth the hassle. The Tandem app feels 'modern' in that it's chatbot-based, but also minimalist in that it's a great way for them to hide the fact they may not have many services available in the app. I do find it frustrating to log into it sometimes. But having said that, I hardly use it aside from the alerts, so it's not a big problem.
  • WibblyGirly
    Options
    Has anyone recently applied for the card? I applied about a month ago and haven't heard back yet on if I've accepted or not. Is there a long wait time?
  • john1002
    john1002 Posts: 984 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Not normally so suggest you contact them to find out, as if your accepted then Card is normally received in 5 days max.

Good luck

John
  • bubieyehyeh
    Options
    I believe if you apply from the website, Tandem tell you at the end of the application process if your accepted and credit limit, and then you can accept the offer.
  • WibblyGirly
    Options
    Thank you, i did ask and they said they are having a lot of applications but mine is being checked over.

If I choose to cancel the application will this affect me negatively when I apply for a mortgage in about 6 months?
  • bubieyehyeh
    Options
    Warmq wrote: »
    Does tandem not provide monthly statements by post?
    I thought I read that somewhere.

It provides a statement by post, but everything apart from the actual payment date is available in the app. The app doesn't show the payment date as such, but says number of days to payment due, so you can work it out.
  • sharsky53
    Options
    ABRDF wrote: »
    Hi

My partner and I waited for 3 months on the wait list to get Tandem’s credit card offering of 0.5% cash back and no fee foreign transactions, because of Martin’s recommendation.

After 2 months of use we are reviewing our decision, does anyone else have feed back, Tandem don’t have a community site like Starling or Monzo or a “Trustpilot” site and I can’t see any feed back here, either good or bad!

Our findings:
    1- The app looks and feels old school, poorly designed, slow with little functionality..
    2- The app needs a new pin every two weeks and you have ring the customer service number in core hours of 8 till 6.
    3- The out of hours customer service is outsourced, and they have little understanding of the product and only deal with fraud or lost cards. They also appear to be reading from a script.
    4- The balances on the app are incorrect
    5- Refunds show but the balance is not updated
    6- Pre authorisation show in app but never drop off the app when not collected by the merchants
    7- Customer services are only Monday to Friday 8-6, they are friendly, but don’t really understand the issues because their system transactions and balances are different from the app, you have to send screen shots to verify what your saying
    8- Paper statements, no online offering, statement balance not shown in app
    9- Account aggregation does not work with First Direct due to password issues in the app
    10- Missing transaction and transactions disappear from the app (balance stays the same)
    11- Long call wait times
    12- No instant chat
    13- Launching savings account when this product does not have fully functional and robust customer app / interface
    14- No in app notification of transaction
    15- Security setup when joining could not be complete the account pin request - still haven’t been able to achieve this

When you do speak to the customer services team you do often get to speak with the same person which is a bonus, but they have to pass everything on. Very limited improvement in the app, it’s functionality and appearance in two months, some problems they say should be fixed in the next two months some they don’t have timescales, not all customers are have the same problems. I believe the developers should look to apps from Starling and Monzo to see great new world (fintech) banking apps, Tandems app looks, feels and offers the functionality of Lloyd’s Bank app 5 years ago.

Unlike Starling’s Anne Boden their CEO who answers tweets from customer with good and bad issues eve late at night, Ricky Knox the CEO of Tandem just BLOCKS YOU!!!

Your thoughts please, are we the only ones witnessing these issues? It would help us to decide to stay or go, 0.5% cash back is not enough to wade through the problems with Tandem, when we also have Clarity Cards and Monzo and Starling already.

Finally should Martins team be recommending Tandem in its current state. Has my mother would say Tandem is “all fur coat and no knickers”!!!128514;
    This outfit are totally amateurish. I applied for a card and then realised no app for windows and no additional card holder. Cancelled before use. Now I have an Android phone and they allow additional card holders. Re-applied but even though they admit my previous application has been cancelled, each time I apply it tells me I cannot have two cards. Have emailed them back and forth for the last month and they cannot solve the problem and don't know how to. Total bunch of novices - steer clear of these people, how can you possibly trust them to handle your money. Look at the app ratings, it is totally worrying.
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    sharsky53 wrote: »
    This outfit are totally amateurish. I applied for a card and then realised no app for windows and no additional card holder. Cancelled before use. Now I have an Android phone and they allow additional card holders. Re-applied but even though they admit my previous application has been cancelled, each time I apply it tells me I cannot have two cards. Have emailed them back and forth for the last month and they cannot solve the problem and don't know how to. Total bunch of novices - steer clear of these people, how can you possibly trust them to handle your money. Look at the app ratings, it is totally worrying.

Well, I've had the card for some time and whilst the app is a bit odd I've no reason to grumble - all has worked fine, everytime. It's my credit card of choice these days - instant notification and cashback.

Your suggestion that they now allow additional cardholders is interesting - my understanding (and I've just checked on their faqs) is that they still don't do this. So what are you basing your statement on?
  • mdwn
    Options
    Took about a week to receive my Tandem Card and Pin so very quick service. Expected once activated to be able to quickly get a 2nd card for my wife. Phoned in today and very quick to answer phone but then found out that phone team don't deal with 2nd cards and send a request to applications team. This team currently taking 3 weeks to send an email form where I can then say what name I want on the card and once submitted takes another 5-7 days for card to arrive. They've obviously streamlined initial application then back to the dark ages to get a second card. App is very basic and no web-based access so will be interesting to see how good it is once we start using the card!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure