EON Smart Meters

Options

Comments

• oliverbrown
    Options
    Can they actually insist on installing
    Not until such time your existing meter is end of life and traditional meters are out of production.

I'm waiting on Malc's reply about E.on installing user-supplied meters. Something like this might be worth buying and storing away until the relevant time: http://www.em-lite.co.uk/generation_metering.htm

I'm not sure on the service life of these units but I think 20 years from date of manufacture is not uncommon.
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Options
    Aside from E.on's "persuasion tactics" on smart meters, which are being replicated across much of the industry, I find E.on a good company in general and that's why I'm still with them. Malc's efforts here are appreciated too (my frustrations aren't with him).
    Well there you have it. The misleading comms aren't a result of drafts which need updating, but are in fact a conscious business decision.
    Not until such time your existing meter is end of life and traditional meters are out of production.

I'm waiting on Malc's reply about E.on installing user-supplied meters. Something like this might be worth buying and storing away until the relevant time: http://www.em-lite.co.uk/generation_metering.htm

I'm not sure on the service life of these units but I think 20 years from date of manufacture is not uncommon.

Hello oliverbrown and many thanks for the kind words. They're very much appreciated.

This morning I've sent through another batch of feedback from these Forums about our smart meter communications. I'm happy to keep doing this.

I've asked the question about our policy on dealing with meters supplied by customers. Like me, the people I've spoken to haven't been asked this before and have gone away to investigate. I've a note in my diary to chase them up if they haven't come up with an answer by the middle of next week. I'll keep you updated.

Thanks again for the kind words oliverbrown.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    Options
    I was with E.On previously and found them OK, however their "back end" systems and staff supporting them, leave an awful lot to be desired.

Hello Frozen_up_north and I'm sorry our back office support wasn't up to scratch whilst you were with us previously. We're aware of the need to improve in certain areas and are working towards this.

Malc
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Eon told me today :” As explained the wording of our communication about smart metering is out of the Ombudsman’s remit and is a business decision therefore we won’t be reopening this case or sending a deadlock letter.“

Absolutely appalling that they find it ok to mislead customers in this way.

Hello Greenenergy and I'm sorry you're unhappy with the way your complaint has been handled.

You can still go to the Energy Ombudsman even without a deadlock letter. There are details of how to do this on our website.

Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Dewpoint wrote: »
    I have a word of warning to all those who are thinking of switching energy suppliers to save a few quid in the short-term. I've fallen for the allure of MSE Cheap Energy Club (CEC) deals, and tried independent price-comparison sites like uSwitch over recent years and every time I've switched (four times) it's been a pain in the backside and ended with the Energy Ombudsman having to intervene.

I switch with MSE CEC from Scottish Power to E.On last June, and even though I have SMETS type 2 smart meters fitted to both gas and elect, the switch still hasn't fully completed, I'm still having to provide manual meter readings, my IHD doesn't work, still seeing estimated bills for gas, never had a bill for electricity from E.On and I still haven't received the promised CEC cash-back. The issue is currently with the Ombudsman yet AGAIN! That's nearly five months of emails, calls and time-consuming escalations.

Believe me - it just ain't worth the hassle! :(

Hello Dewpoint and I'm sorry your account with us is still in limbo. We spoke about this in the thread below.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=76395591#post76395591

Are we still saying the account is at 'Registration Confirmed?' What has our Complaint Manager said about the hold-up? Were the problems you had with past switches similar to now?

You're right to escalate this to the Energy Ombudsman as it shouldn't be taking this long.

Sorry again for the delay and the questions Dewpoint. Trying to understand what's gone wrong here.

Malc
    Options
    leviathan wrote: »
    https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-7668201/Sshould-smart-meter-pressure-campaign.html

"A huge problem with the rollout of smart meters is that energy firms have continually tried strong-arming people into accepting the new equipment – in the process angering many of those targeted.These tactics have included sending misleading letters, telling homeowners that their traditional meters need replacing. "

Perhaps draw their attention to the article. But I suspect they are fully aware.

Keep up the good work Malc. :T

It's hard to be the point man for a large company that will undoubtedly be wanting to "engage with the customer better" but then essentially ditches you to answer the difficult questions. I've been in your shoes and it's unpleasant that employees get treated in such ways by managers who live in a different reality. Despite you getting this feedback will still put their fingers in their ears and go lalalala because the feedback doesn't match with their bu****it plan for "customer experience".

Hello leviathan and thank you for being so understanding.

I've included your post and the link above in the feedback I gave to senior managers this morning.

Thanks again for your understanding leviathan.

Malc
    Options
    Hi all

I really really really don't want a smart meter. It's probably going to make my health condition worse. Can they actually insist on installing something that makes you ill?

Hello Louispastrami and welcome to the Forums.

As above, smart meters aren't mandatory and you can refuse any offers to have them.

Our smart meters have gone through rigorous safety testing and have exceeded every UK and EU safety standard. For instance, exposure to radio waves from smart meters is well within guideline limits and is lower than from WiFi or mobile phones. Public Health England have confirmed they see no health risks from smart meters.

This aside, as I say, you don't have to have them and can turn down requests to go down this route.

Malc
  • Greenenergy
    Options
    Malc - I asked about the deadlock and was told “ As explained the wording of our communication about smart metering is out of the Ombudsman’s remit and is a business decision therefore we won’t be reopening this case or sending a deadlock letter.” .

Disgusted by this I have already referred to ombudsman ...
  • Downward
    Downward Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 15 November 2019 at 11:44PM
    Options
    I have smart meters installed by Eon back in 2015 I reckon.
    Just moved back to them after a 2 year absence but the smart meters don’t work.
    Apparently moving suppliers renders them not smart.
    What a shambles it all is.
    Only came back to Eon cause i was sick of going outside in all weathers getting readings for the electric
  • MothballsWallet
    Options
    Malc - I also received one of the "Reminder: You need to have your meters changed" letters on the 7th November 2019 where I'm on the tariff that states I agree to be contacted about smart meters.

I'm thinking of raising a complaint about this to add to everyone else who's doing this.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback