Cheaper Oil for Fuel?

Options

Comments

• fyr
    fyr Posts: 60 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    WITH MK being so close to Buncefield, should be seeing better prices!
    Our club ordered again last Monday @ 45.5. Thought it best to get some in what with the usual Mid East tensions and decline of sterling against the $.
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,152 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    fyr wrote: »
    WITH MK being so close to Buncefield, should be seeing better prices!
    Should, perhaps. But we don't in Bedford.

We lived in Croxley Green (between Watford and Rickmansworth) when Buncefield went up. It shook the house like a small earthquake. :eek:

Our village has a fuels pipeline passing through (to ex-RAF Cardington and Sandy?) which might be worth tapping into :A ? Kerosene and aviation fuel are quite similar I believe? :cool:
  • Waterlily24
    Options
    Ours was 45.97p a litre on the 14th - Boiler Juice.
  • Cottage_Economy
    Options
    Thought I'd quickly add an update.

I ordered my oil from Boilerjuice on 4th September for 45.54p a litre. It was delivered (South Lincs) on the 17th and we were told we were very lucky as the oil prices had just risen 4p a litre in the previous few days due to the Saudi oil bombing business.
  • essbea
    Options
    Hi.
    As a new member I thought I would throw my two pennies into the oil debate. Yes oil is expensive and there doesn't appear to be a good comparison site for oil, though this forum is a good start. I have just ordered some heating oil through my regular source of the oil club  at www.oil-club.co.uk with a price of 0.4149 pence per litre excluding VAT (Domestic VAT 5%). This seems a very good price and the best I could find in Cumbria
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    essbea said:
    Hi.
    As a new member I thought I would throw my two pennies into the oil debate. Yes oil is expensive and there doesn't appear to be a good comparison site for oil, though this forum is a good start. I have just ordered some heating oil through my regular source of the oil club  at www.oil-club.co.uk with a price of 0.4149 pence per litre excluding VAT (Domestic VAT 5%). This seems a very good price and the best I could find in Cumbria
    That's almost exactly what I was quoted by the Oil Club last weekend, down in Kent, at which point it was a couple of pence lower than the main broker sites. I'm not convinced it's finished dropping yet in response to the Corona virus depressing demand in China, so I am holding on. For all the newspaper reports talk of a seriously depressed market, heating oil is still more expensive than it was two or three years ago, and I notice petrol prices aren't heading downwards locally in most filling stations. I suspect there's some serious money being made by suppliers. As ever, when bulk prices rise. the effect on consumers is instantaneous but when they fall it takes weeks to trickle through - if it ever does.
  • Colsa100
    Options
    It's nice to have a bit of history to prices and some info on how to go about obtaining the best price today.
    As with the first few posts on here, not much has changed. Some websites no longer exist but most are still around and there are new ones including various oil clubs as mentioned above.
    Back in 2002, petrol was on sale for most of the year at around £0.79 per litre and heating oil was around £0.12 per litre.
    Controls on engine fuels have kept the costs contained but not on heating oil.
    Yesterday a supermarket owned filling station I visited was selling petrol for £1.187 per litre; less than double 2002 prices.
    Today the cheapest quote for heating oil was £0.4376, nearly 4 times as much as 2002 prices.  Still not as bad as when it floated around and above the £0.65 mark at one point a few years back. Who got rich of the back of that?
  • SonOf
    SonOf Posts: 2,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Got a 41.5p quote from Boilerjuice today.    Last month it was 56p for a few days.
  • fyr
    fyr Posts: 60 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

Our Oil Club shows historic buy prices, which is a useful reference; scroll down the page and look on right side.

http://www.mychieveley.co.uk/index.php?page=50

• Colsa100
    Options
    Arrrg. Just missed a low price order this weekend of £0.4096 per litre via the Oil Club.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback