Options

Comments

• jwil
    jwil Posts: 19,120 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I hope DH listens to reason Jwil.

Me too :(
    Wow..just catching up after another few days off the boards and seen y our post about your ultimatum to OH...very drastic but if that is how you feel then you need to say so. Let's hope he takes it on board and acts on it.:)

Thank you. I can't live like this forever, and it's unfair on the kids too.
    I hope your OH sees sense in time...

The fete sounds fun. I do like a fete :)

Thank you, me too.

I like fetes too, the kids love all the silly little games like china smashing, skittles, hook the duck etc. It's nice. :)
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • jwil
    Options
    Not much to report really. I sold an item today, was pleased to see the back of it :T

I haven't been keeping up with surveys or anything, must catch up.

I'm back on the climate change research at work, it's quite interesting. I enjoyed the Hugh F-W programme the other night, though it's quite frustrating when they focus on one issue over everything else. There is no discussion about the unintended consequences of not using plastic - increased food waste and increased transport emissions from transporting heavier packaging.

Glass is infinitely recyclable, but of course much heavier than plastic. Paper is not only heavier, but in a world where we need to be planting more trees, and deforestation is an issue, can we really have enough sustainable planting and tree cutting to replace all this plastic with paper and fibre alternatives, without increasing deforestation? Paper isn't infinitely recyclable, it can only be recycled about 7 times (the same with plastic) so needs to be replaced with virgin material at some point.

It's so difficult and it is really hard when you are on a tight budget. We all really need to stop consuming so much and that is going to be easier said than done!
  • Lifeisforliving19
    Options
    Agree about the plastic issue, this is my BIG thing at the moment. I am determined to do everything I possibly can to cut our useage at a personal level and to help with as much local stuff going on as possible as well. It is cutting down that is the main issue, then there won't be so much to recycle.
    DMP 2015 £57,549, now £36,112 (37% paid)
    EF £200 Mortgage OP's this year £115

There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow, Shining at the End of Every Day!

• Homegrown0
    Homegrown0 Posts: 1,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi Jwill, just stopping my to say hi. Saw your updated list and oh my goodness, you've been busy! Sorry you're struggling with your husband right now, i hope it resolves itself and you make some progress. There's nothing worse than not being on the same page.

Also, great going on the TV! What a bargain!
    Sealed Pot Challenge 075
    Pay off by Xmas 2019 #02 - target £10,000
  • Kitten868
    Kitten868 Posts: 1,785 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Really pleased to hear your update jwil. I'm glad that you've already reclaimed your space. He can see the benefit of decluttering and he can see his hoard is rendering rooms unusable. You are really doing the right thing the way you're going about it. You're being constructive, leading by example and offering to help. You're brilliant.
    I knew the house was getting clearer and you were getting to see more of it but your recent update just shows how far you've come. Has he prepped loads for the car boot or ebay?

For me my biggest issue seems to be palm oil. I just don't get it. Surely it should be such an expensive resource that no one uses it. Surely there should be strict restrictions and protections on the rainforests?
    Loan 1 £5200/£8000
    Loan 2 £300/£5800
    Total £5500/£13800
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    I don't blame you for being fed up Jwil. I'm sick to death of clutter at the moment and we don't have as much stuff as you. It's really stressful when you can't move around without tripping over something, you can't get to things to clean them and you can't find anything :mad:.

I hope DH takes steps to sort it out for all your sakes.

On the recycling front I bought two metal straws in Costalot the other week to use instead of paper or plastic ones. I thought they were a really good idea :T.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • jwil
    Options
    Agree about the plastic issue, this is my BIG thing at the moment. I am determined to do everything I possibly can to cut our useage at a personal level and to help with as much local stuff going on as possible as well. It is cutting down that is the main issue, then there won't be so much to recycle.

It's great that so many people are making efforts to cut down as well as just looking for alternatives :)
    Homegrown0 wrote: »
    Hi Jwill, just stopping my to say hi. Saw your updated list and oh my goodness, you've been busy! Sorry you're struggling with your husband right now, i hope it resolves itself and you make some progress. There's nothing worse than not being on the same page.

Also, great going on the TV! What a bargain!

Thank you :)
    Kitten868 wrote: »
    Really pleased to hear your update jwil. I'm glad that you've already reclaimed your space. He can see the benefit of decluttering and he can see his hoard is rendering rooms unusable. You are really doing the right thing the way you're going about it. You're being constructive, leading by example and offering to help. You're brilliant.
    I knew the house was getting clearer and you were getting to see more of it but your recent update just shows how far you've come. Has he prepped loads for the car boot or ebay?

For me my biggest issue seems to be palm oil. I just don't get it. Surely it should be such an expensive resource that no one uses it. Surely there should be strict restrictions and protections on the rainforests?

Hoping he'll be getting some more prepped this weekend :)

I agree about palm oil. I was reading an article the other day and there seems to have been great moves around use of sustainable palm oil but not enough. It's a similar situation - palm oil is the most efficient oil, so if we can't cut down on it, we should find ways of using it sustainably without deforestation, otherwise we are just shifting the problem elsewhere.
  • jwil
    Options
    I don't blame you for being fed up Jwil. I'm sick to death of clutter at the moment and we don't have as much stuff as you. It's really stressful when you can't move around without tripping over something, you can't get to things to clean them and you can't find anything :mad:.

I hope DH takes steps to sort it out for all your sakes.

On the recycling front I bought two metal straws in Costalot the other week to use instead of paper or plastic ones. I thought they were a really good idea :T.

It is stressful and hopefully he will sort it!

Great buy on the stainless steel straws, they are a fab alternative, and you'll be able to recycle them if you ever wish to get rid of them in the future :T Reusable is definitely the way to go :D
  • jwil
    Options
    Fed up with this miserable weather! Where is our summer!

Not much planned this weekend. We were going to go to a VW show but the van is in the garage and they have posted they are not allowing vehicles into the field as it is too wet and muddy. It's an expensive bill for the van but Dh covers that.

DH says he wants to get on with clearing some stuff, so if that's the case I might take the kids out for a bit.
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,747 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Shame about the VW festival but I am sure you will have a goos weekend anyone.
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills