We can do this

Options
After some great advice on DFW I've decided to put together a diary so I can put down how I'm doing, feeling and generally whats going on with my plan to be debt-free.

First a bit of background. I live with my partner and our two children, 8 and 2. We also have a cat, a dog, a rabbit and an axelotl. We've managed to accrue about 21k in debt and we're also getting married next March and need to find the remainingg £1,900 for that.

My partner is self employed, working from home, and obviously that means her wage fluctuates. It's part of the reason we're in this mess. We'd always buy on the credit cards to earn cash back and then pay itoff. Except when she didn't go back to work after our littlest was born we found those payments slipped. Bad month here, bad month there and before you know it we're in a hole.

Still, the first step is admitting there is a problem, we've analysed it, I've asked for advice on here and got some good tips. My partner has started working nights at McDonalds which, although is wearing her out and she has to then be awake with our littlest during the day before I come home, she is enjoying.

We've put a budget of £300 for food, we used to spend around £450. and I'm using an app called Emma to track my accounts and budget accordingly. All the credit cards are in there except the Asda card we have.

I'm starting to put aside the emergency fund. I've got £400 in there since pay day as my partner got her last salary in. Groceries are going to go straight on the debit card so we will see how much we've spent. My plan is to keep adding to the emergency fund, this will be part emergency fund and wedding fund.

Thank you for reading if you've made it this far.
Tesco [STRIKE]£7647.88[/STRIKE] £7,488.96 Asda [STRIKE]£2,552[/STRIKE] £2,300 Virgin [STRIKE]££4,204.95[/STRIKE] £4,204.95
Halifax [STRIKE]£2,853[/STRIKE] £2,796.64 Barclaycard [STRIKE]£7,866.32[/STRIKE] £7,866.32 Wedding £488 EF £63

Comments

• enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Great idea to start a diary and have subscribed.

Good idea to start the emergency savings account and glad to see you are going to use the debit card for groceries rather than credit.

Which debt are you targeting first?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Willing2Learn
    Options
    Yay, a nice new diary... :)
    OnlyPariah wrote: »
    I'm starting to put aside the emergency fund. I've got £400 in there since pay day as my partner got her last salary in. Groceries are going to go straight on the debit card so we will see how much we've spent. My plan is to keep adding to the emergency fund, this will be part emergency fund and wedding fund.
    If it were me, I would keep the EF and Wedding budget categories entirely separate. I wouldn't really want to be mixing the two as they are for entirely different things.

(lol - I felt compelled to google axelotl!!)
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Good luck on your journey x
  • OnlyPariah
    Options
    Great idea to start a diary and have subscribed.

Good idea to start the emergency savings account and glad to see you are going to use the debit card for groceries rather than credit.

Which debt are you targeting first?

The Asda card has to be the first debt to target. The interest rate is 29.9 and that needs to come down. I did receive a letter from Tesco telling me that I'd paid more due to interest than the original debt was for and this month I've noticed they don't seem to have added any interest. The interest has normally gone on by now.

Oh, I forgot to say, I read some advice about paying a little more than the minimums on all the cards so I'm doing that. Should help things start coming down.

Thanks again everyone. This place is so supportive, I can imagine sticking around even once I'm debt free.
    Tesco [STRIKE]£7647.88[/STRIKE] £7,488.96 Asda [STRIKE]£2,552[/STRIKE] £2,300 Virgin [STRIKE]££4,204.95[/STRIKE] £4,204.95
    Halifax [STRIKE]£2,853[/STRIKE] £2,796.64 Barclaycard [STRIKE]£7,866.32[/STRIKE] £7,866.32 Wedding £488 EF £63
  • OnlyPariah
    Options
    If it were me, I would keep the EF and Wedding budget categories entirely separate. I wouldn't really want to be mixing the two as they are for entirely different things.

That might well be a smart move. I need to have a think. Cheers.
  • charlotte1988
    charlotte1988 Posts: 92 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 November 2019 at 10:47PM
    Options
    Good luck with your journey to being debt free!

I think Willing2Learn makes an excellent point by having separate pots for the emergency and wedding fund. Having clearly allocated areas for each makes the goals easier to see, and should reduce stress. Well, it does for me anyway :)
    PAYDBX 2022 #8 £135.62 / £7500
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    I would second having separate pots for emergency savings, wedding savings etc. If you get close to the wedding and do not have enough saved you could always dip into the emergency fund then temporarily. Not ideal but better than taking on more debt.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • OnlyPariah
    Options
    I've taken that advice on board and now have a separate pot for the wedding funds. I have £150 in Emergency Fund and £250 in the Wedding Fund.

I know the wedding fund is higher but that does need to be paid for next March. Hopefully we can go away for a few days after. We've never been away since we met and I'm quite looking forward to a few days without the kids.

I've now setup to make sure I'm paying a little more than the minimum on each of the credit cards. I've also put a freeze on each of my credit cards so I'm not tempted to use them. It'll also help in stopping anything that might be coming out monthly on them that I've forgotten. I know we have Spotify that comes out on one of them. I need to get that changed.

Overall though I'm feeling good. Writing on here helps.

I do have one question though. With three of the cards I'm paying interest at the moment but can't get a 0% balance transfer. If I contacted Step Change or similar could they get this interest stopped. I want to pay the debt just the interest is slowing down this effort.
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,390 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You would need to post a statement of affairs really to get proper advice on whether you need a debt management arrangement or whether with your income you could manage if you used your money differently.
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £184,341 Equity 26.26%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £12.3K
    3) CC £4.9K on 0% spends card but offset by £34.1K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £9.6K/£127.5K AVC target 7.5% value at 15/4
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    The only way to get interest frozen is to go on some sort of debt management plan and that will result in a default on your record. An soa will help to see whether that would be suitable. It really depends on how tight your budget is.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure