Flight delay compensation, all other non-EU airlines

Options

Comments

• Nookiedv
    Options
    I was due to fly back to Gatwick on Saturday with Westjet but the first of three flights were cancelled so they moved my flights to Sunday. That was all fine as I had somewhere to stay on Saturday night. However, I was due to be flying from Gatwick back to the Isle of Man on Sunday with Easyjet and because my flight was cancelled I had to pay almost £100 to change my Easyjet flight to the next day. I took out travel insurance with Aviva before my trip, but who should I try to claim this cost from? Westjet or my travel insurance? Thanks.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Nookiedv wrote: »
    I was due to fly back to Gatwick on Saturday with Westjet but the first of three flights were cancelled so they moved my flights to Sunday. That was all fine as I had somewhere to stay on Saturday night. However, I was due to be flying from Gatwick back to the Isle of Man on Sunday with Easyjet and because my flight was cancelled I had to pay almost £100 to change my Easyjet flight to the next day. I took out travel insurance with Aviva before my trip, but who should I try to claim this cost from? Westjet or my travel insurance? Thanks.

you need to look at your travel insurance. Webjet are not an EU airline and the flight was not departing the EU so EU261 does not apply.
    In addition you were travelling on separate tickets so not a through ticket, You would need to check the wording of your policy and consider any excess
  • turping
    Options
    My Kenyan Airways flight to Nairobi was delayed and because I arrived 24 hours late this meant the loss of 1 x day safari at a cost of c £800. Kenyan Airways have agreed to pay the 600 Euros flight compensation but nothing towards the loss of 1 x day safari. My travel insurer will only pay 'out of pocket' expenses during the delay.
    Who else can I go to for some sort of compensation for the lost safari/holiday day?
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Probably nowhere for consequential losses.
    Life lesson - check your travel insurance is up to scratch very carefully. Unfortunately, many lower cost policies fall for far short of what people expect insurance to cover. Pays your money, takes your choice....
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Nookiedv
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. My Canada trip was all booked through Westjet as a through ticket from Gatwick to Kelowna and back - it was the Easyjet flight that was separate because Westjet don't fly to the Isle of Man. Given that my through ticket was more than a day later than planned I had no choice but to change my Easyjet flight - I'm just trying to work out who's liable for this. I understand about EU flight compensation as I've claimed before, but I'm not sure if there is an equivalent system in place in Canada. I'll check the excess on my travel insurance.
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Nookiedv wrote: »
    I'm just trying to work out who's liable for this.

Unless your travel insurance covers you, you are. Westjet's contract ended when they got you to LGW.
  • thunder367
    thunder367 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    just return for a months holiday in thailand.was due to fly out of manchester on qatar airways got on plane all on time.after 30 mins they announced they was a problem.few more annoucements and we was took aff after 2hrs 40mins.then 5 mins later they annouced the problem had been sorted so we all boarded again.45 mins later they unloaded us.i went got a bite to eat and finally at 12pm they said the flight was cancelled so we had to go do passport and collect bags.then to qatar ticket counter to rebook our flights.after about a 1hr half coaches turned up and took us all to a hotel outside holmes chapel where they could put us up and sort our flights out and find us easily.
    about 8pm at night i found i been booked to fly at 8am the next morning so it was a full 24hr delay from leaving manchester to gettin into doha then onto my connecting flight to bangkok.
    has any one made a claim with qatar before and how did u do it direct with the airline or one of the claim companies.ive look on site can not see a claim form at all.any help would be grateful please.also on way back they damaged my bag ive made a claim before i left and should get a call this week about it.
  • Faldinio
    Faldinio Posts: 42 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 4 March 2018 at 10:26AM
    Options
    I was 24 hours delayed to Maldives due to missed connection in Doha as the outbound flight from Manchester was delayed. Booked ticket was Manchester to Male via Qatar Airways so they were liable.

I used Resolver to complain and airline dragged their feet and eventually said they weren't liable. I then had to complain to the CAA and a week or so later the CAA said that the airline WAS liable and they have contacted them. A few days later I got a better reply via resolver from Qatar Airways saying they would pay us the compensation. It was a fight then to actually get the money as they paid us for only 1 person. I had to threaten court action (quoting costs) before they sent the second lot.

So yes, you can get the compensation and don't give up.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well done. Did they pay the correct amount?
    How many were including any kids?
    Put your flight numbers and dates up as it may help someone else on your flight. Thanks
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Tyzap wrote: »
    No, not really.

The main problem here is with the one hour connection time. On a long haul flight that is just not enough time.

Delays, into and out of all busy airports, are inherent in the operation any airline, it happens on a very regular basis at all major worldwide airports and cannot be classed as an extraordinary circumstance.

However, if the airline is happy to sell you a through ticket with only a one hour connection time, they should pay you compensation if they then delay you.

Good luck.
    It looks like they are going to pay!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport