Options

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,296 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    It is no fun living on benefits at all.
    Keep ploddng :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Starbrite
    Options
    Things seem not to be improving :(

Yesterday (Mon) received a call from my Housing Association, apparently Uni Credit 'paid' myself the monies yet failed to transfer the Housing Element along with the little bit deducted from my standard allowance to the Housing Association. Apparently it was declined. I have raised this to Uni Credit via an email to my work coach who told me to put it in in journal (which is part of their/my online account) also cc'd my MP in as it is always happening, how hard is it for them to pay my landlord directly!

Currently I have no idea where the money is, I have not received it. Uni credit don't seem to be in a rush to resolve the matter either.

Today (Tue) - received a call from my Virgin credit card, checking in on me, well should I say checking in on my financial situation. I informed the woman there is no change still unemployed. She said if I have not paid the arrears by the end of the state of hardship the account will go to a 3rd party! great, wish I had 3k laying around to pay it off in full.

Anyone fancy doing a bank robbery?

Been looking for jobs, have been applying and had 4 interviews so far this month (Feb) 4 of which I have not secured.... No interviews in the pipeline

On a good ish note, I've 'taken up' running again... I hate running... Downloaded the couch to 5k app, dusted of the running trainers I brought in 2012 when I had a moment of madness, and so far have completed two runs. And I actually feel good, have a run to look forward to tomorrow and hopefully if all goes to plan by Easter I will be running 5k. Have made a deal with a friend who runs, to join her on one of those park runs which gives me something to aim for and on top of that summer body here I come....

I hate running and much prefer swimming, alas that is out of my budget so running it is... I must look silly though, proper running trainers, any old t-shirt, leggings from new look which where at the back of the draw, and my little over the shoulder bag carrying my key and phone! its a bright neon pink bag too :rotfl:

See how we go, last time I did the couch to 5k I got to the end of week 2 before giving up, so far I have completed 2 'runs'
    Aspiring to be financially independent.... from my parents!
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Hello starbrite .
    Sorry to hear of your situation . Just wondering what kind of work yo are after? Today is my 3rd week on universal credit . Never thought I'd see the day when I'd be on that . But hey ho ! Life is crap . What is also annoying is that I don't get my first payment for 5 weeks. That's not on!
    I admire you doing the running . Keep it up if you can . Very therapeutic imho .

Best of luck
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,296 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Universal Credit seems to be just dire.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Starbrite
    Options
    Hello starbrite .
    Sorry to hear of your situation . Just wondering what kind of work yo are after? Today is my 3rd week on universal credit . Never thought I'd see the day when I'd be on that . But hey ho ! Life is crap . What is also annoying is that I don't get my first payment for 5 weeks. That's not on!
    I admire you doing the running . Keep it up if you can . Very therapeutic imho .

Best of luck

I was a PA/Office manager, I was made redundant in 2013. Found it hard to get a job back then, so went to Uni for a career change. So went did an Event Management degree which I graduated from Uni in 2017 and since then have struggled to find time work! Yet when I was at uni I was getting all sorts of part time jobs etc.

I have been applying for anything from bar work and event related jobs to office manager roles. All seem to have a reason why not to employ me.

What are you looking for? Ah yes those 5 weeks are hard... I had an advance, looking back I wish I stuck out the few weeks of being skint.... You will be ok xx x

I am trying to keep the running going, had another run today and Friday it will step up a gear
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Can you sign on with some temping agencies, who cover the hospitality industry?

Can you ring up the companies who you did part time work for while on your course and see if they have any jobs going?

Good luck
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • Starbrite
    Options
    kazwookie wrote: »
    Can you sign on with some temping agencies, who cover the hospitality industry?

Can you ring up the companies who you did part time work for while on your course and see if they have any jobs going?

Good luck

I am registered with a few agencies, ok they are the well know high street ones. I have waitressed for the at your service types before, might be worth a re visit.

The Sunday job I have wanted me to work both sat ad Sun, I was unable to do this so they found someone who could, I am still on a zero hours contract with them and have told them I am 'available'

The part time office role I had, I left for a full time role as they had no full time hours. Also I would not want to go back, as a new manager took over and I did not get along with the person.

Pizza place I worked at, hmm not sure I want to re visit that tbh, there was no contract and being paid was a bit hit in miss, and several times I was not paid the correct amount. (Small independent shop)
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Howdy!

I admire your determination , and you seem to want to go for almost anything . I could be wrong , but it may be better to go for the roles that you're most experienced at for now ?
    I notice that you are from Surrey ? I know that you are already signed with many agencies . Have you registered with Secs in The City, or crone corkill? When I lived in London , they always seemed to have something . I won't waffle on too much :)
    Me? I'm just after a part time , early - mid morning position.
    I'm based in Dorset and am a lot older. Having said that, I've only started looking since end of jan .
    It'll soon be spring and you may get a temp job around Easter time . Who knows?

Keep it together :)
  • aimeemum
    aimeemum Posts: 687 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    What about party planning? Could you make some contacts and advertise your services? If you have the time to put together a free website and a portfolio it could possibly be a nice little earner?! You'd need insurance but that's not normally too expensive.Just an idea.

We've been on UC for nearly 4 years now and it does get easier - we're lucky that my husband works full time, so the UC is a 'top-up'. Without it we woldn't survive and it allows us to be a lot more stable. Unfortunately you do need to keep on top of them.....monitor everything and chase it all up until it's fixed. They are not very reliable and tend to not tell you about things you're supposed to have done.

Good luck with the job hunt. I hope you get something soon.
    Changing my Family's Future!! - Starting again!!!!
    Current Progress -
    Debt - Start date 31/8/22 = £7,252.78
    Savings 31/8/22 - £0
    plus £1000 EF - £0/£1000 = 0%
  • Starbrite
    Options
    Thank everyone.

I am not applying for any old thing! I have wided up my job search as just looking for event roles was not happening so thought I'd go back to what I know. Yes have done bar work in the past even have a Personal License! Have done Reception, Admin and PA/Office manager roles before.

Alas I seem to be getting nowhere with those roles either!

Party Planning, hmm not sure I want to go down that route, children I am not a fan of so kiddies parties are out. Having organised a few of my friends Hen Nights that has also put me off! and weddings is a flat no o after seeing a good friend turn into Bridezilla.

Yes and on secs in the city, will look into crone corkill as never heard of them.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback