PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two

Options

Comments

• Ginmonster
    Options
    FurryBeastOz - peanut butter balls? Tell me more. I love peanut butter!

Had an OK day yesterday as persuaded husband to use up some nibbles from the freezer for dinner instead of ordering takeaway. Result!

I'm out for afternoon tea today with a friend for her birthday so I doubt I'll use up much today due to being full of cake. :-)
  • FurryBeastOz
    Options
    Ginmonster wrote: »
    FurryBeastOz - peanut butter balls? Tell me more. I love peanut butter

http://minimalistbaker.com/5-ingredient-peanut-butter-cup-energy-bites/#_a5y_p=3586759

Dead easy, if a bit messy to make. I made 20 smaller balls and am keeping them in the freezer in the hope they will last longer:D
    Goals - Weight loss 6/26lb at 22nd Jan 18
    Mmmm. 26lb at 1/7/18. Oops:o
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    FurryBeastOz - peanut butter balls? I love peanut butter and know where there is an unopened jar.

OUT
    uncooked mince - probably use it for cottage pie as it's easy and I have everything else.
    chocolate tray bake, I think I cut it into pieces before it was frozen - if so, I'll get half out, needs chocolate topping/icing.
    Everything else for the day is in the fridge, cupboards or veg plot.

IN
    The last of the pheasants for this year. Shooting season ended 1/2/17, we have a very strict rule in this house. My DH will shoot at home providing I use it, the moment I don't process the birds he stops shooting for that year. We both disagree with shooting for just pleasure. Around here the game butchers pay just 30p for a carcass and sell them at £7.00 each in a plastic tray!!!
  • Welsh_Poppy
    Options
    Once again no notifications honestly as if this thread would be quiet...lOL

I adore peanut butter I buy it in 1 kilo pots but I am not going to make the peanut balls as I will eat them and I am on a diet!......maybe when at goal weight:-)

No shopping done apart from fresh bread and banana's

Out of freezer
    last portion birthday cake
    2x wholemeal flat breads
    2 x turkey
    4 Yorkshire puds
    4 chestnut stuffing balls(all gone so will need to make more)
    2 x stewed Apples(for my porridge)
    1 x bread pud( a treat for me as I adore it)

IN
    NOTHING as yet......LOL

I make Sunday dinner today and make an extra one for a friend who does not cook.
    I must update my list and as I am away for 5 days from Friday no cooking use what I have in freezer as plenty in there:-)

I adore chilli jam and not made in ages so will be on my list for when I get back.But I did make orange curd usually I make lemon but Orange is very nice:-)
    Weight loss challenge 66lb to go /59lb's lost

Grocery Budget January £150/£175
    Feb £150/
  • K9sandFelines
    K9sandFelines Posts: 2,577 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    edited 8 February 2017 at 11:28PM
    Options
    Nothing more in on Friday, but quite a few outs. DD ended up using crispy chicken some more bread, lettuce and mayo. Out for me was a fennel bulb, a parsnip, a potato, and seitan and the end of a bag of Tesco frozen asparagus. The seitan hadnt turned out very good ( i tried a different recipe to normal), so it was inedible despite watering down the stock and ended up in the bin. The same with the fennel and parsnip... they both burnt :(, so ended up with a sandwich for tea and just ate the potato. So further outs were slices of bread, violife slices and half a pack of choc kallo rice cakes and the end of a punnet of rice cakes

Sat IN: ys fresh beetroot, ys shallots, misori (chinese) dumplings, avocados, loaf of bread, Birds Eye 1/4lbers,
    OUT : Two bagels for breakfast, two sachets of porridge at work for my dinner. For DD rest of chicken bites, apple, crisps, choc biscuit etc. Chicken and sweet chilli sauce with rice for her tea, so two portions of chicken thighs out, and extra rice for fridge (possibly freezer). I had leftover thai curry out of fridge, with some chinese dumplings and seaweed. More bakewell tart and a small portion of nuts with a tipple of kahlua and finished a 2ltr bottle of coke.

Will update today's later as phone needs charging.
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £118.89 April £
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • Ginmonster
    Options
    I am definitely going to try that peanut butter ball recipe as I already have all the ingredients and need something to do with chia seeds (don't put them on cereal they develop a horrid goopy texture when wet - bleurgh!)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 5 February 2017 at 3:14PM
    Options
    JIL wrote: »
    Here's my recipe I'm sure you could just use onions.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=67429799&postcount=767
    Thank you, sounds lovely like that.
    Hey Save Dosh, if you still want an onion soup recipe (I thought JIL's recipe for indian snacks sounded fantastic!) - here is what I did yesterday.

Chopped up onions, and fried them gently in a mix of oil and tiny bit of butter, then added a knorrr veg stock-pot jelly thing and water (the amount depends on how many onions, just so it's runny, and not stodgy) and seasoned with S, P and chili flakes. Put the lid on and simmered in the oven for a couple of hours until it was starting to caramelise on the sides of the pot, then scraped it all down and whizzed it (I used a wand mixer in situ) and served it with a bit of past-it cheese on top.
    Don't have the stock pots, but will use onion gravy and veg cubes I have. Thank you.

Well, lots has gone into freezer, BUT, all from stores. Made up cabbage, potato & carrot soup and froze 4 portions (all from fridge & stores), 2 large portions of chickpea, sweet potato & Spinach curry also made & frozen (out of stores & freezer), today I am going to make a load of swede & carrot mash for freezing, & tomorrow will make some onion soup & some pizza's out of store veggies & a pizza base I have in, just need dairy free cheese, which will all be frozen, Tuesday, will have a go at the indian snack (wondering if I can do them in a yorkshire pud type tin, might give it a try). I am getting through stores (honest), just a different way 'round.
  • Nichelette
    Nichelette Posts: 2,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Went out to get passata, kidney beans, peppers and bread.. Completely fell off the wagon and now have two lots of falafel, two packs of veggie frozen food, two lots of frozen fruit, and a box of fish in the freezer, oh, and some mushrooms.. Wait. I forgot I stuck some YS savoury muffins in there too :(. I'm not going to think about the non-freezer stuff!

I don't know why I can't just get what I go out for. I'm so annoyed at myself :mad:! I have £8 left in my food budget to last me until the 14th (I do have the money for more if I need it, but there is no way I should as I have sooo much food). I'm doing next weeks mean plan tonight which will be entirely from existing stocks. If I don't have something I'll make do.

I managed to successfully offload the big lump of beef onto my sister who was a grateful recipient. I defrosted the other one yesterday and will be roasting it for other half shortly. I've also defrosted a portion of chicken broth for his lunch tomorrow and some parsnips. Later I'll also cook some frozen roast potatoes I got free before Christmas from Shopmium. I only realised when I got them home that they weren't vegetarian so they have hung around for longer than they otherwise would have. I'll also use up a bit of frozen veg but not sure what yet. I also should make myself some soup for work but haven't yet decided which one to make. I have a lot of leeks but for some reason went off leek and potato so I might make a tomato, lentil and other assorted veg one I have a recipe for which is lovely..

I hope everyone is doing a better job than me :rotfl:.
    Finally bought a home
    Starting mortgage £289,500 31.01.19 - Current outstanding £207,243.66
    Overpayments since 27.03.19: £46,161.46
  • JensFeet
    JensFeet Posts: 83 Forumite
    Options
    Another NSD for me again (number 3 for February). Took DD a packed lunch and drinks for dance competition as planned and as much as I could have been into the mahoosive Mr T tfor YS hunting (not a town I go to often) - I resisted as I KNOW there's enough food in the freezer for months yet AND I want to make space for my bulk butcher order by March. That's so unlike me.

My bread pudding was delicious cold this morning. Yum. Not too sweet and with a hint of tangy orange from the marmalade, crunchy on top from the demarara sprinkles. 10 pieces kept in the tub for over the week and another 16 slices into the freezer.

OUT: pork shoulder joint (F), tatties, green beans, sprouts, carrots, broccoli, homemade mushy peas, stuffing, gravy
    IN: 16 slices of bread pudding

I reckon there will be enough leftovers from our roast dinner this evening for me and kids tomorrow for our evening meal too. So will rejig my meal plan but only bread and milk needed this week (although still need kenco and fabric softener and loo rolls at some stage - so probably buy it tomorrow when I am buying bread and milk top up).

Great reading all of your food ideas and plans and I'm so enjoying taking part here - thanks for making me feel so welcome x
  • Franalamadingdong
    Options
    Well done for not buying extra at the big tesco!

Used up half a scraggy onion that was in the fridge, last of an older broccoli, peas from the freezer, last of the frozen seafood mix and some mushrooms from last week's shop, not forgetting a stock cube and risotto rice.

Finally cooking again after a few days of reheating stuff at best! Few days behind on the meal plan, but that's no issue as most of the main ingredients are frozen or storecupboard and the veg is fresh in, and because I am buying less it is still fresh enough when we get round to using it.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback